Moo Duk Kwan

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Anyone practice Moo Duk Kwan? I just want to educate myself a bit more.

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Do you mean Moo Duk Kwan Soo Bahk Do? I took Soo Bahk Do for awhile and Moo Duk Kwan was part of the name. I believe Soo Bak Do is the new name for Tang Soo Do.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Tae Kwon Doughboy said:
Do you mean Moo Duk Kwan Soo Bahk Do? I took Soo Bahk Do for awhile and Moo Duk Kwan was part of the name. I believe Soo Bak Do is the new name for Tang Soo Do.

Yes, but there are some schools that use the name Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference in the styles though. The Tang Soo Do people would probably be the best ones to ask.

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

My Moo Duk Kwan Soo Bahk Do instructor was too military for me. Unfortunately I didn't learn much in the four months I went because of the contadictions and not being allowed to ask questions.

But the instructor at a studio I visited in Carlsbad Ca. was great and everyone respected him, without the military approach.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not pacticed Moo Duk Kwan in over 30 years ( other than to fool around with it little).
Ask your questions I think that many of the Korean Martial art students may be able to answere some of them

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. Now I do Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan (not much different, except for the color belt forms and a few techniques). Eventhough I only reached 5th gup in TSD and 2nd gup (so far) in TKD, I can be of some help.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

karatekid1975 said:
I did Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. Now I do Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan (not much different, except for the color belt forms and a few techniques). Eventhough I only reached 5th gup in TSD and 2nd gup (so far) in TKD, I can be of some help.

Great!! I did want to ask, is Moo Duk Kwan TKD a style that originated from Tang So Do? Or is it the same thing? I don't really have much info on this style, so I'm hoping to gain a little more knowledge.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The style I'm in WAS originally TSD. My grandmaster (Ahn Kyung Won) is even in one of the TSD books as the "family tree." It was by Kang Uk Lee (simply called "Tang Soo Do").

I don't know the whole story, but the TSD forms for color belts (pyung ahn) were dropped, and the Taegeuks were added. But in Ahn's dojang now, they don't do any TSD forms at all (all WTF TKD forms now), but my instructor (one of his students) decided to keep them. We do the MDK forms after BB, still.

There was even a small article about him (Ahn) in Black Belt mag (I think), that said that the change had something to do with "the business end." I wish I could remember the issue. Interesting read that was.

So yes, my dojang does have a connection to TSD.

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The style I'm in WAS originally TSD. My grandmaster (Ahn Kyung Won) is even in one of the TSD books as the "family tree." It was by Kang Uk Lee (simply called "Tang Soo Do").

I don't know the whole story, but the TSD forms for color belts (pyung ahn) were dropped, and the Taegeuks were added. But in Ahn's dojang now, they don't do any TSD forms at all (all WTF TKD forms now), but my instructor (one of his students) decided to keep them. We do the MDK forms after BB, still.

There was even a small article about him (Ahn) in Black Belt mag (I think), that said that the change had something to do with "the business end." I wish I could remember the issue. Interesting read that was.

So yes, my dojang does have a connection to TSD.

Sorry to revive posts from the dead, but I can confirm this from first hand accounts that I have had my grandfather tell me about his journey as a martial artist. He considred what they did Tang Soo Doo, and as karatekid1975 points out, it was in fact a business decision made for the American market to rename. There's a video I can try to trackdown and upload to youtube on the subject.

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Here's a bit of the discussion about Tang Soo Do to Taekwondo

Last edited:

Latest Discussions