Monkey Fist

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I just got done tying two more loaded Monkey Fist knots for my Slungshot class at Recreational Violence this coming weekend.

It's an easy enough knot, really, but it seems like I mess it up as often as not. Had to tie the last one twice because as I was tightening it, I lost track of which direction I was spinning it and so back-tracked the slack out from the direction I just came. That left half of the knot nice and snug and the other half midline loose.

And I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the Maritime style slungshot. Maybe it's just the rope that I've been using but it seems like it's pretty common for the weight to work it's way out of the knot. I'm trying a different weight this time so maybe that'll help.

Ah well, I've got 4 or so "criminal" style slungshot as well so, provided the maritime style doesn't brain someone, we should be fine even if these don't hold.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:
OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tried them out. They started spreading at the force point after about 10-20 strikes. One slipped right out after ~25 strikes. I guess that's "acceptable" for a real weapon that you don't really want to have to use, but for a practice weapon, it leaves something to be desired in longevity. :p

I think I can add an extra loop to the knot and that might help.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just retied it as a four-strand knot. We'll see if that holds any better. I sacrifice nearly a foot of rope for the extra strand.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello Kirk,

So slungshot is exactly what? A type of sling? I looked on the Cumann Bata Dayton website but didn't didn't see anything about it.

Fyn

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello Kirk,

So slungshot is exactly what? A type of sling? I looked on the Cumann Bata Dayton website but didn't didn't see anything about it.

Fyn
A slungshot is usually a simple flail. A weight at the end of a flexible cord.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk (mobile)

Latest Discussions