Modern Modern Arnis.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is anyone teaching arnis techniques adapted to the Kubotan, walking cane, or similar weapon that's likely to be available to your average American on the street? I know teaching the cane is very popular now, especially in the Korean arts.

I keep asking Mr. Hartman to add the Karambit, which I find fascinating. There are non-edged versions available now.

E

Emptyglass

Hi Arnisador:

Dr. Barber is quite knowledgable in this area and also happens to be in the Western New York/Buffalo area. You might consider asking him about this subject.

Regards,

Richard Curren

B

BRAM

Datu Kelly came up with the DTL Kerambit..a non cutting impact tool..
I have the Gunting Knife System with it's associated non-cutting DRone & CRMIPT tool...( Close Range Medium Impact Tool)..

Its all part of Modern Arnis..

Professor was very clear that the tool is part of an extension of the hand..yes each tool has a usage and life of its own..
But being Modern Arnis..Translations were and are the key..

Add the tools which you feel comfortable with...
Find tools that do not get you into conflict over whats legal carry and whats legal to actually use...

Olisi Palids ( pocket-palm sticks) were common..Fixed blades were common....todays Tactical folders in many ways combine the two concepts.. a Modern way and we in MOdern Arnis can use them..
hmm sounds like a Balisong..
Good thing the European sailors brought them over to the Phillipines...they became almost indigenous....ROFL...

be safe

Bram

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you post a link to picture of an Olisi Palid? I've heard of the pocket-palm sticks but not by that name.

B

Bob

Originally posted by BRAM

Datu Kelly came up with the DTL Kerambit..a non cutting impact tool..

Here is the site where you can read a description and see a picture of the DTL Kerambit that Datu Worden produces...

http://www.shomertec.com/item.cfm?variable=108

Also, Datu Worden has produced a walking cane tape that is available through his website for those interested.....

Bob

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Carr is an expert with the Kubotan. If you are ever in Western New York he is outstanding.

He's bounced me around like a pinball several times ! Very ... educational.

:iws:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He is going to be one of the instructors at the 2003 WMMA Summer Camp in Buffalo. Check out the WMAA website for exact date.

Dan Anderson

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Emptyglass

Hi Arnisador:

Dr. Barber is quite knowledgable in this area and also happens to be in the Western New York/Buffalo area. You might consider asking him about this subject.

Regards,

Richard Curren

Thanks for the endorsement, Richard. I have a seminar presentation that ties together empty hand, pocket stick, kubaton and the Gunting Knife. It runs about 3 hours.
I also have taught the pocket stick and kubaton as part
of my self defense program at Erie Community College, for
the past fifteen years. The pocket stick is the first hand tool
taught in my curriculum, which begins with empty hand
defenses.

You can write me privately at <[email protected]>
for more information.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions