Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by loki09789
. . .
Question: Does anyone know if RP modified, adopted Cuentada to develop his Tapi-Tapi, or was it an existing term/drill from a different art that RP studied?
. . .
Paul Martin

Paul M, *( To many Pauls' in this place ;) *)

Tapi-Tapi has had many names, see some of the other threads, such as Semi Sparring. This would be the name I know from the 1970's. (* This does not invalidate any other name, just making a reference her *). So, Tapi-Tapi was not a brand new idea, unless you look at the the name and the marketing :D

To me Abecedario are your basic stricks, this is our one through twelve striking and stepping. Did he ever have you strike and the other guy just block? Now in the Balintawak, I study through Manong (GM) Ted Buot, Abecedario is where the instructor strikes one through twelve at you and you block and counter strike back to the head on the same side as the stick is already.

Once again, "To ME", Seguidas is the Fundamentals out of order. Or Abecedario out of order. This is very similar in my mind to the begining of the semi-sparring drill and the tapi-tapi drill. They have a predefined set of moves, that can occur and yet they are not in any specific order.

Correidas, to me, is as my instructor has told me, the "mixing bowl". This is where you add in more techniques beyond the fundamentals and then put them into the mxing bowl. You do this by teaching a new one and then working it into the flow of techniques. This is the Correidas, and also where most people end up in the semi-sparring or tapi-tapi drill.

Now within Correidas, their are two new concepts
Lansis and Timing.
Lansis is the baiting of your opponent and timing is the execution of the technique at the proper time.

Now once again, in the semi-sparring / tapi-tapi drill you bait your partner, heck we all have heard this, right? "And now you bait your partner!" :D

Cuentada is counting literally in a loose sort of way. Yet in Balintawak it is the planning stage and working your partner to move in a certain way so you can get a certain shot. Now this does use the Lansis and Timing from Correidas, yet this is not only one move ahead, this is chess, you can think 5 or 6 levels deep with all the possible combinations.

So, to now answer your question. No, I do not believe that GM R Presas adopted Cuentada as Tapi-Tapi.

More Later as I have to go teach now :D

:asian:

(* Edited: Changed tis to this; the to they; tey to they; predefinde to predefined *)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone else would like to comment on Tapi-Tapi or Semi-Sparring?

Latest Discussions