Modern Arnis Basic Striking Patterns Discussion

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the title doesn't indicate version, so I'd say it's for the discussion of the angles period. The WMAA folks just need to know when the other groups say 12 it means 10, and when they say 10 that everyone else should think 12.

It's simple...like counting in base 8 and converting to base 12. :)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Well, the title doesn't indicate version, so I'd say it's for the discussion of the angles period. The WMAA folks just need to know when the other groups say 12 it means 10, and when they say 10 that everyone else should think 12.

It's simple...like counting in base 8 and converting to base 12. :)

Wait...hold a minute while I take my shoes and socks off.

Okay. Now I'm set. We can go to twenty if anyone wants.

Regards,

Steve

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
RickRed said:
This clip from the Horizon Martial arts instructors page might help clarify some contradictions in what WMAA/Hartman are about:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"After Professor Presas’ retirement due to illness Hartman formed the WMAA (World Modern Arnis Alliance) in order to preserve and continue the progression of the art of Modern Arnis. He is currently the WMAA’s President and Technical Director."[/font]

This would confirm to some degree what Dr. B was saying about goals.
Thank you RickRed, I thought that I understood what had been posted on the website. Again, I have no quarrel with someone or some group wanting to alter the strikes, just keep the name/source correct.

JB

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FWIW on the discussion about the different striking patterns that are found within MA influenced systems.

When teaching I use to take different weapons/items and have students perfrom the 12 AOA with different
1) Weapons
2) Grips on the baston
3) Types of hits
4) Inject the alive hand between the strikes
5) Kicks between the strikes

This was part of Hock Hochhiem's arnis (Presas based) programs back in the mid 90's. He also modified the strikes of 10/11 to make them more of a hooking type strike than a straight strike due to the redundency of the strike as discussed here on this thread.

In time Hock has modified/stream lined the delivery system even more with his clock (taking the approach of Kenpo) angle teaching to where it no longer even resembles the 12 AOA.

I bring this up because Hock originally expanded the instruction on the 12 AOA by including different weapons/items to hit with, different strikes, grips etc. etc. Then he modified the strikes that repeated. Then he developed a different delivery system to where it no longer even resembles it's source material even though the strikes are contained in the source material. The more he injected his thoughts, his beliefs (on how and what should be taught), the more it became Hock's material and not the Professor's. Along the same line the more he didn't claim it was MA as well.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Again for FWIW

Bram Frank also changed the 12 AOA with the direction of his 6 and 7 strike, in that he felt that the edged weapon would be more effective coming in a slightly upward angle (up under the ribs), in stead of the higher thrusts where the ribs protect the organs of the body.

Mark

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Again for FWIW

Bram Frank also changed the 12 AOA with the direction of his 6 and 7 strike, in that he felt that the edged weapon would be more effective coming in a slightly upward angle (up under the ribs), in stead of the higher thrusts where the ribs protect the organs of the body.

Mark
Good point, Mark,

Edged tools such as the knife, bolo and sword present different problems for proper application than blunt instruments such as a stick. Proper orientation of attack with each type of tool is essential if one is to get the most effective usage out of the tool. My instructional format consists primarily of the single and double stick applications therefore strikes to boney areas is paramount in my targeting scheme. I supplement the baston/stick with the palm stick and kubaton keychain. The latter two items also are directed toward boney areas and the eyes because of the short range nature of these two tools. The above mentioned tools than lead toward the Gunting Knife and the applications of impact strikes, joint locking and bio-mechanical cutting off of the kinetic opening feature of the Gunting. Now there is a shift in the target areas to muscles. The idea is to obtain a stoppage of the limbs in terms of their proper and intended functioning.

The key is of course know how and when to use each tool and the proper angles of attack that maximizes the functioning of each seperate tool. In order to achieve this maximization I use the various Modern Arnis 12 angles as taught by Professor Presas, plus his 9 count that I mentioned in an earlier post and I supplement these with the Paradigm Escrima 9 Count pattern and several cinco Teros or 5 count patterns. Diferent students find different striking patterns easier to understand and use.

Respectfully,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*sigh*
<rant>

This thread is a very good example of why I don't wish to belong to any Modern Arnis organization, even though I train and teach Modern Arnis as part of our curriculum...some weenie has to turn a nice principle/technique thread into a political pissing match.

Sometimes, these people really make me sick. Scratch that: they always make me sick.

I never had the good fortune to meet or train with Professor Presas, but I'm sure he'd just love to beat the holy hell out of the whole lot of you pontificating political peons.

</rant>

Cthulhu
(my apologies to the admins and moderators...as Kaith probably remembers, I feel your pain)

3 points for alliteration!

Latest Discussions