MMA the best in the West?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was reading another thread and thinking to myself: Here in the US you often hear people say that "MMA is the best." But you don't hear people saying "Pancration is the best," or "Shootfighting is the best." Is this simply because MMA is FAR more popular than Pancration and Shootfighting in the US, or is it because of the sort of "we're #1!" attitude that Americans tend to have about their favorite sports (fight sports in this case)?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's just stupid people on a testorone high, sorry for my spelling. I think the main reason people flock to MMA is that it's violent (which is almost human nature), and the fact that there are less rules makes it more fun to watch then most other "combat sports".
Anyone with any sense can tell that while MMA has it's pros, it also could learn some thing from other sports.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was reading another thread and thinking to myself: Here in the US you often hear people say that "MMA is the best." But you don't hear people saying "Pancration is the best," or "Shootfighting is the best." Is this simply because MMA is FAR more popular than Pancration and Shootfighting in the US, or is it because of the sort of "we're #1!" attitude that Americans tend to have about their favorite sports (fight sports in this case)?

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait I was supposed to reply intelligently? ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's just stupid people on a testorone high, sorry for my spelling. I think the main reason people flock to MMA is that it's violent (which is almost human nature), and the fact that there are less rules makes it more fun to watch then most other "combat sports".
Anyone with any sense can tell that while MMA has it's pros, it also could learn some thing from other sports.

Er as a fifty something female who trains and fights MMA I rather take umbrage at the 'stupid' and the 'testosterone' bit mate! I do realise the first post is a pointless one but less of the insults please!

MMa is no more violent than full contact karate and I wouldn't be so sure it has less rules. If you wish I will post up all the rules.

What exactly would you have it learn from other sports? I'm open minded and always looking to improve the way we present MMA.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tez3 at taking umbrage at your generalization of it is "stupid people on a testosterone high". I too, am female, and wouldn't consider myself either "violent" or "stupid" and I enjoy MMA because the calibre of fighters and the skill sets they possess make for an impressive show.

How about people "flock to MMA" because it is a high-level athletic contest with well-trained practitioners putting on an impressive show? Why does it have to be "stupid" and "violent"? Neither of those things appeal to me or I'd be watching a lot more TV!:cool:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Er as a fifty something female who trains and fights MMA I rather take umbrage at the 'stupid' and the 'testosterone' bit mate! I do realise the first post is a pointless one but less of the insults please!

MMa is no more violent than full contact karate and I wouldn't be so sure it has less rules. If you wish I will post up all the rules.

What exactly would you have it learn from other sports? I'm open minded and always looking to improve the way we present MMA.

I meant the that in refernce to the people who say "yah, MMA is the best, every thing else sucks!" followed by drunken frat boys smashing empty beer cans on their foreheads.
I applogoise for that misunderstnading, I assumed that it would understoud that that was what I meant. Keep in mind Tez, you and Exile are two of my fav. people on this site.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tez3 at taking umbrage at your generalization of it is "stupid people on a testosterone high". I too, am female, and wouldn't consider myself either "violent" or "stupid" and I enjoy MMA because the calibre of fighters and the skill sets they possess make for an impressive show.

How about people "flock to MMA" because it is a high-level athletic contest with well-trained practitioners putting on an impressive show? Why does it have to be "stupid" and "violent"? Neither of those things appeal to me or I'd be watching a lot more TV!:cool:

Same thing I said to Tez.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the reason mma is considered so good and is promoted so hard is that one can see what they are learning being practiced in the countless mma events going on around the US and with the high profile of the UFC at the moment it is no doubt going to be popular. All 'arts' have their flaws and mma's is the fact that due to the fact it is a sport (not making it any better or worse for self defense), there are rules hence a lot of the real nasty stuff other arts practice (eyes, throat, groin etc etc) is not taught. All arts are good as long as you are getting what you want from them.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant the that in refernce to the people who say "yah, MMA is the best, every thing else sucks!" followed by drunken frat boys smashing empty beer cans on their foreheads.
I applogoise for that misunderstnading, I assumed that it would understoud that that was what I meant. Keep in mind Tez, you and Exile are two of my fav. people on this site.

Ah! No worries then! I was looking in the mirror and having the giggles imagining myself as testosterone fuelled and going on the Rampage lol! (He already did didn't he poor Chuck!).
We get the opposite view usually from the 'butch' and the so called 'streetfighters', they say MMA is for wussies as it's all cuddling and no real fighting!
I have a suspicion though that the original poster of this thread is trolling, if not, is being a bit naive in trying to start another mma v tma argument.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah! No worries then! I was looking in the mirror and having the giggles imagining myself as testosterone fuelled and going on the Rampage lol! (He already did didn't he poor Chuck!).
We get the opposite view usually from the 'butch' and the so called 'streetfighters', they say MMA is for wussies as it's all cuddling and no real fighting!
I have a suspicion though that the original poster of this thread is trolling, if not, is being a bit naive in trying to start another mma v tma argument.

Well, he's made more posts then me, and has more rep, so I'm so sure about the trolling...
We get something like that sometimes. It's mostly pepole saying that BJJ is for homosexuals. Not the actual wording, but you get my point. Outside that, most of the "street fighters" watch MMA matches to get ideas (why I'm looking into deffences against the rear naked choke).
Outside that, it depends on the individual. From the MMA matches I watch, it looks like the only real dif. between what is done in UFC and my school is very little. UFC has more contact, we allow groin strikes. And I think thats about it... oh wait, we allow kicking the head of a fallen opponent.
I said that MMA could learn somethings from other arts (I meant arts, not sports) one of those is groin strikes. Anouther is some of the throws. There are plenty that are quite possible in MMA, but aren't done. And they could easily finish a match. Read about Masahiko Kimura. The guy cracked peoples ribs from throws. I'd like to see someone do THAT in an MMA fight.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, MMA is as good as the fighters involved, the skill of the refs, and the sportsmanship displayed. Competative people push harder than non-competative or less competative people. This pushes the skill levels of many fighters to new limits. I think the U.S. (the MMA people) also like to keep everyone on their toes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Groin strikes aren't necessary in MMA as it's a sport though I admit I can't help having a laugh when it happens accidentally but that's a female thing!
MMA isn't for self defence as such it's for competing. Yes you can get ideas and it's as good a way to test getting punched in the head as any!

Cracked ribs in fights? You're a bloodthirsty soul :uhyeah: Love it!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kimura lost 3 Judo matches in row, he considered leaving, but was talked out of it by his freinds. He decided to train harder, faster, stronger, and better then every one else in the world. So, he practised his throws against an oak tree in his yard. His throws ended up so powerful he would crack ribs, break arms, and even give people concusions. Becuase he was throwing them so hard, they couldn't land properly.
It's not so much, the violence, as I want to see someone do a throw with THAT much force. Then again, Kimura also did 1,000 push ups a day, added some conditioning from Kyokoshin-Kai, and so on. He thrust his hands into sand to strengthen his wrists, did knife hand stikes to makiwara. That kind of thing. Dude was tough!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

It's EGO, pure and simple. Everyone wants to believe that what they do is the best. MMA is relatively new (as a competetive sport), combines aspects of several different arts (the best parts? - open to interpretation in my opinion) quite popular, and has a large fan base, including both those who train in it and those of the armchair variety.

Of course, the testosterone driven frat boys smashing beer cans on their forehead contribute too... ;)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
MMA is the newest fad. No better or worse than the martial arts fads before it. No better or worse than the next coming martial arts fad (which will probably be the 'reality' fighting like Krav Maga and Systema).

Try not to get those knickers all a-twist, Brainard my friend. Popularity of one art is no threat to the effectiveness and value or our own.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that refernce. Very cool man, very cool.

Well it's a good job someone has some testosterone, I know a fighter who has taken so many hormones he can no longer produce this male hormone among others! I'm assuming too that American beer cans are lighter than a lot of ours that have 'widgets' in lol!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well it's a good job someone has some testosterone, I know a fighter who has taken so many hormones he can no longer produce this male hormone among others! I'm assuming too that American beer cans are lighter than a lot of ours that have 'widgets' in lol!

OK, thats a little scary. And being one who doesn't drink, I wouldn't know about beer can lightness. and do i want to konw what a 'widget' is? That's one of the Birtsh slang terms I dont know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOl, a widget is a thing the brewers put into the cans of certain types of beer like Guinness to make sure it pours properly. On an MMA forum I go on there's been a lot of discussion recently about whether drinking should be allowed in venues or not. To be honest there's not a lot of hassle from drunks at shows, only a real idiot would stat a fight where the security and a good part of the audience are martial artists!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOl, a widget is a thing the brewers put into the cans of certain types of beer like Guinness to make sure it pours properly. On an MMA forum I go on there's been a lot of discussion recently about whether drinking should be allowed in venues or not. To be honest there's not a lot of hassle from drunks at shows, only a real idiot would stat a fight where the security and a good part of the audience are martial artists!

I imagine that would make it hurt more. And don't forget, the compitors are probably mostly Martial Artists. The rest are freestyle. Do you guys even allow freestyle fighters, or is that something thats more American idiocy?

Latest Discussions