MMA Marketplace: Good news and bad news on walkout shirts

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-18-2009 10:44 AM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-662656758-1258555043.jpg
Outside of their fight purses, one of the main ways fighters put food on their table is through sponsors. The way those sponsors justify shelling out cash to the fighters? Walkout shirts and fight shorts. This week, we've heard both good and bad news for UFC fighters in the world of sponsorship.

-- Silver Star Casting Company picked up Forrest Griffin, and designed his walkout shirt for UFC 106. Though their clothes are not my favorite -- this is the only design I like with skulls and flowers -- they have been impressive in picking up fighters. Their roster now includes Lyoto Machida, Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, Rashad Evans, Rich Franklin, Clay Guida, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and even the world's best boxer, Manny Pacquaio. Their shirts also rarely cost more than $30, a nice change for MMA gear. Buy the Griffin shirt here for $26.

-- Ecko Unlimited has also made inroads in the world of MMA, sponsoring Miguel Torres, Michael Bisping, Frank Mir, and in the boxing world, Miguel Cotto. Ecko is already giving back to MMA. Torres and Mir both shot Ecko ads encouraging New York to make MMA legal. Of course, MMA in New York would help their bottom line, but that doesn't mean the ads aren't a good thing. Few other clothing companies have stepped up in this manner.

-- RVCA, who sponsors Fedor Emelianenko, and Clinch Gear, which is owned by Dan Henderson, have reportedly been banned from the Octagon. RVCA's only major UFC fighters are BJ Penn and Vitor Belfort, who are unlikely to have trouble finding new sponsors.

Clinch Gear, which was likely kicked out because of the UFC's contract dispute with Henderson and his rumored deal with Strikeforce, sponsors WEC fighters Scott Jorgensen and Chad Mendes and UFC fighter Krzysztof Soszynszki. Those are up-and-coming fighters who may not have the easiest time finding a new sponsor. Not only that, but Clinch makes some of the more wearable MMA shirts and shorts that quite often have a simpler, collegiate design. I love this red, hooded sweatshirt and navy t-shirt.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions