Mike Brown interview: 'The Champ' keeping ego in check even with a new ride

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-18-2009 01:40 PM:

It was a long, hard journey to reach the top for WEC featherweight champ Mike Brown. He toiled in obscurity making little money for years. Now he's seeing the fruits of his labor. Brown is still the everyman from Maine, who's lucky enough to live in South Florida but gone is the old Ford Focus. Brown used to brag that even with him being on television dozens of times each year, he was keeping the old Focus. But now along with the WEC title strap he's rolling in a new whip, an Audi from a local dealership in North Miami (4:55 mark).

"We got the blue tooth capability. We talk to the steering wheel, 'hey it's the champ driving now, what's up!'

Brown joked with Cagewriter that his ego is huge:

"Yep, don't talk to me, I can just hang up with my thumb."

Brown said he's recognized in odd places now in South Florida. He's getting plenty of attention since his fights are often replayed on Versus. He deserves it, he twice took out the WEC's poster boyUrijah Faber. But now there's pressure of staying on top. Itwon't be easy with the roster of young 145-pounders on the way up. Brown defends his title for the third time against 23-year-old Jose Aldo tonight at WEC 44 in Las Vegas.

Brown, 33, talked about being one of the old guys and how the sport is now producing mixed martial artists. Brown, primarily a wrestler, took years to add all of the elements to his game. It's pretty obvious Brown should test Aldo's ability to stay off his back. But Brown also pointed out that you can't waste too much energy shooting for takedowns if they're not there.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions