misunderstandings

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have to ask. Do you have a funny instance of a misunderstanding you would be willing to share. The reason this question popped into my head was a conversation my Wife and I had last night. Every night as I head the 3 and the 5 year-old Ruffians up the stairs to bed I make the challange of "Last one up stairs is a rotten egg." and they will both take off like a shot to get up to their beds. Last night the 3 year old was literally jumping up and down beside his bed clapping and exclaiming "I'm the rotten egg, I'm the rotten egg!" I always thought they were racing up so Dad would be the rotten egg and they wouldn't, turns out the reality is they are racing to BE the rotten egg. Neither of them have a clue that it would be a bad thing to be one. I mentioned it to Laura and she started laughing about something that our now 7 year-old had said a long time ago now. He is a lot smaller than our 1st had been so it was a natural to call him "peanut". When he started to talk, my wife was going to town and asked him "you want to go to the store with Mommy, Peanut?" well he stopped what he was doing, pointed between his legs and announced "Dat my peanut!" Needless to say we have never called him that name again. I just have to wonder what he was thinking before he could talk and we called him that. :eek::angry::flammad::2xbird:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got lots of cute Grandson's stories but NOTHING like that..

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have to ask. Do you have a funny instance of a misunderstanding you would be willing to share. The reason this question popped into my head was a conversation my Wife and I had last night. Every night as I head the 3 and the 5 year-old Ruffians up the stairs to bed I make the challange of "Last one up stairs is a rotten egg." and they will both take off like a shot to get up to their beds. Last night the 3 year old was literally jumping up and down beside his bed clapping and exclaiming "I'm the rotten egg, I'm the rotten egg!" I always thought they were racing up so Dad would be the rotten egg and they wouldn't, turns out the reality is they are racing to BE the rotten egg. Neither of them have a clue that it would be a bad thing to be one. I mentioned it to Laura and she started laughing about something that our now 7 year-old had said a long time ago now. He is a lot smaller than our 1st had been so it was a natural to call him "peanut". When he started to talk, my wife was going to town and asked him "you want to go to the store with Mommy, Peanut?" well he stopped what he was doing, pointed between his legs and announced "Dat my peanut!" Needless to say we have never called him that name again. I just have to wonder what he was thinking before he could talk and we called him that. :eek::angry::flammad::2xbird:

I had a women tell me to kiss her A-- and I thanked her for the offer, does that count:uhyeah:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have tons, mostly where I've been sick and was actually trying to read something. Would that count?

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything counts. Dosen't have to be a big thing at all. With 4 boys in the house with lots of energy and personalities i could fill a book with little things from just them.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My mom still likes to tell the story of when I was 4 or 5 and we were going to vist a friend in hospital with a broken leg. A few hours after she told me we headed out and drove to the hospital. Right when we were about to walk in I asked "how much of his leg is left?"

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My parents like breaking out a story of me regarding the moon (there's also one about a cow, but that's later). Apparently I was 2, and we were on one of our many trips to who knows where- we like to travel, and were staying in a motel. For some reason, I got out of bed, headed for the window, and started crying! My parents asked what was wrong, and I said that the moon was broken, and asked them who broke it. Now that I'm older, it's not sooo embarassing.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife's religious background is Jewish, mine, until I converted, wasn't. When we were planning our wedding my wife and her maid of honor were discussing having someone blow the shofar (ram's horn). The conversation about the difference between a shofar and a chauffeur is the stuff of legends

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife's religious background is Jewish, mine, until I converted, wasn't. When we were planning our wedding my wife and her maid of honor were discussing having someone blow the shofar (ram's horn). The conversation about the difference between a shofar and a chauffeur is the stuff of legends

:lfao: :lfao: :lfao: :lfao:

Geez, now I have Coke Zero all over my laptop screen. :roflmao:

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score

:lfao: Now that is funny!!!! :lfao:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

:rofl:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lfao: :lfao: :lfao: :lfao:

Dude, your killing me...LOLx100

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anything counts??? Ok!!! Great Grandma is watching my Grandson..She lays out 2 bananas, one for him an one for Great Grandfather to enjoy when they wake up from their naps..
The Grandson wakes first comes downstairs sees the fruit and attacks one of them..His Great Grandpa shows up a few seconds later.."Is that my banana?", he askes "No", was the answer.."That one is mine, I already ate yours"...

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything counts??? Ok!!! Great Grandma is watching my Grandson..She lays out 2 bananas, one for him an one for Great Grandfather to enjoy when they wake up from their naps..
The Grandson wakes first comes downstairs sees the fruit and attacks one of them..His Great Grandpa shows up a few seconds later.."Is that my banana?", he askes "No", was the answer.."That one is mine, I already ate yours"...

:lfao: that's funny!

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This might be to much info but it's kinda funny looking back at it.
The wife and I where married about a year. While in bed one day, a very poorly timed "...don't..." was uttered from her. So, I "didn't". What though I still don't know. But the kid is now fourteen years old and the second miscommunication is now 12 y/o. For a person who worked in small market radio for a time and a wife who works in TV you would think we would...uh, hum ...a ...communicate better.....

We finally got it right with the 11 y/o daughter. She is a blue belt in WTF TKD!!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This one is absolutely terrible.... It has a racial element, and for that I apologize, but the racial element is the foundation of the msunderstanding.

So, let me set this up for you. I was, at the time, working as the manager of a pick up and delivery pizzaria. My responsibility during the very busy supper rush was to quarterback the entire affair, and be the finishing pizza topper. I relied a great deal on my ears to follow all that was going on.

Anyway, I'm there, topping pizzas, hearing the phone ring and staff taking orders, listening to the door bell as the door opens, telling me that drivers are on their way, etc... Trying to keep everyone moving as fast as possible. The store owner, with whom I have a very good relationship, is standing beside me. My back is to the front door as I top pizzas, a conveyor oven right behind me. We are keeping both decks of the conveyor oven full. We're busy. Another cook is boxing and cutting the pizzas as they come out, and handling any walk in customers that we get.

So, rewind to the previous day. My 2nd in command cook tells me a story that he thinks is exceptionally funny. He had worked the closing shift the night before, and was all alone in the store at one point in the night with both delivery drivers out on deliveries. He's standing in the back of the store, out of sight of any customers that walk in. One of our regulars walks in, a black fellow that works late shifts, and comes regularly on his lunch break for a couple of slices of pie.

Cook in the back yells out to the customer, jokingly, "Sorry sir, we don't serve negroes here!".

Well, the cook in question is telling me the story the following day, laughing his *** off because he thinks this is pretty funny. I'm not amused. I reprimand him verbally, saying something along the lines of "wtf is wrong with you? He may have found that to be completely offensive!" Cook in question thinks I'm over-reacting.....

So, fast forward now to the supper shift I'm working. Owner standing beside me. I just have to tell him this story, because I want him to back me up with this other cook on the inappropriateness of the "joke".

Busy, phone ringing, I hear the cook who's cutting the pizzas call out for a driver. Telling the owner the story. Driver walks by the topping table, where I and others are busy. A minute goes by... (driver must be putting the pizza in a heat bag, checking the bill, looking at the map....) *ding* the door opens. Driver must be leaving. I get to the part of the story where I yell out the quote, "Sorry sir, we don't serve negroes here." Owner is facing me, can see the front door out of the corner of his eye. His face turns ashen and his jaw hits the floor. I had made an error....

See, I heard the doorbell go and thought that was the driver leaving. In actuality, it was two very big black men walking in to place a pizza order. The first thing that they hear as they enter is me shouting out that we don't serve negroes.....

The store owner can't believe what just happened. He pushes me, hard, into the wall. I look up over the oven, realizing what I just did. He's trying to contain his laughter at what I'd just done. I can't believe it. I hide. One of the customers says to my cook at the front, "What did he just say? Do I have to go to the car and get my gun?" I'm absolutely mortified. I remain hidden behind the oven. The weight of what I've just done is starting to sink in.

My cook diffuses the situation, the two large gentlemen place their order, and go out to their car to wait. As soon as they leave, I'm gone. I run to the back of the store, hide in the office, and stay there, trying to understand how this could have possibly happened to me. The irony is thick, and paralyzing.

Anyway, there's a misunderstanding for you.....

Latest Discussions