Missing Wing Chun Superstars?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Take my subject line with a POUND of salt because a grain won't do. It's me just goofing around.

At any rate, I know in just about any field where certain people stand out (movies, music, etc.), these people will also eventually fade into the background and never be seen again. Having said that, I wonder what ever happened to some of the more well-known wing chun instructors. Two come to mind.

*Steven Lee Swift: In the mid-90's I heard a lot about this guy. In fact I answered the phone and spoke to him at my Sifu's school once. He had that deep-voiced alpha male thing going on. The last time I ever heard from him was when Sifu went to Swift's wedding, which was quite a story (but not mine to tell). A few weeks ago I typed "wing chun street fight" into Youtube and saw some videos by him. He has gotten big! I used to see videos of his and advertisements for his school in INSIDE KUNG FU magazine all the time, but now it seems like he has a low profile.

*Randy Williams: Maybe this guy still is around and I am just way out of touch, but I don't see him anymore either. He was on the cover of IKF quite a few times and had a lot of videos out. His school was called something like the Close-Range Combat Academy.

For some reason their names just popped up in my head, and I realized I hadn't really seen or heard from either of them in ages.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Take my subject line with a POUND of salt because a grain won't do. It's me just goofing around.

At any rate, I know in just about any field where certain people stand out (movies, music, etc.), these people will also eventually fade into the background and never be seen again. Having said that, I wonder what ever happened to some of the more well-known wing chun instructors. Two come to mind.

*Steven Lee Swift: In the mid-90's I heard a lot about this guy. In fact I answered the phone and spoke to him at my Sifu's school once. He had that deep-voiced alpha male thing going on. The last time I ever heard from him was when Sifu went to Swift's wedding, which was quite a story (but not mine to tell). A few weeks ago I typed "wing chun street fight" into Youtube and saw some videos by him. He has gotten big! I used to see videos of his and advertisements for his school in INSIDE KUNG FU magazine all the time, but now it seems like he has a low profile.

*Randy Williams: Maybe this guy still is around and I am just way out of touch, but I don't see him anymore either. He was on the cover of IKF quite a few times and had a lot of videos out. His school was called something like the Close-Range Combat Academy.

For some reason their names just popped up in my head, and I realized I hadn't really seen or heard from either of them in ages.

Hmm , they weren't Wing Chun superstars to me I'm afraid.
The Swift guy I have vaguely heard of before , and all I know about Randy Williams is that he has put out about 50 bazillion videos.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm , they weren't Wing Chun superstars to me I'm afraid.
The Swift guy I have vaguely heard of before , and all I know about Randy Williams is that he has put out about 50 bazillion videos.

I know. Please see the first sentence of my original post where I said it was just me being goofy. :)

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

Wasn't Randy just in an internet video with Shawn Obassi a bit ago?

Being a celebrity makes you a target, most KF people I know keep a low profile about it.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wasn't Randy just in an internet video with Shawn Obassi a bit ago?

Being a celebrity makes you a target, most KF people I know keep a low profile about it.

If he was, I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions