Menkyo and Membership Cards

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, as some of you know, i've been training since August of last year with an instructor, and that i am moving to California on the 24th of this month, and that i am looking to continue my training when i get there. There is one small problem, however. Money has been very tight and i haven't had the chance to purchase Menkyo or my membership card. Would this present a problem when going to a dojo and training, or would it be feasible to provide the dojo-cho with my instructor's name, phone number, email, etc so he can contact my instructor to verify my training status and rank? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated, as i would like to be prepared when i visit a dojo at which i am interested in training. I wouldn't want to seem rude or out of line by just showing up and saying "Yeah, i'm interested in training here, but i can't really prove in writing that im already a student."

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would have your instructor call and talk to the other instructor. If the new one will get your menkyo for you when you are able, no problem. But if he wont you can always call your prior instructor and send him your money for your menkyo and have him send it to you. I would do no less for any of the people I have trained with. Just because they go somewhere else does not mean that I dont keep up with their progress. It pleases me that they keep going and have accomplishments.

Gambatte

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shinkengata said:
I wouldn't want to seem rude or out of line by just showing up and saying "Yeah, i'm interested in training here, but i can't really prove in writing that im already a student."

I wouldn't worry about that, your movement will make it obvious. The instructor of whatever group you end up with should be able to handle the card/menkyo situation when you're ready, and it's easy to verify your status with your current instructor. So I wouldn't worry about it -- depending on where you're landing, just visit a dojo or few and decide where you'd like to train.

Reactions: MJS
OP
Shinkengata

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. That had kinda been on my mind for a few days.:)

P

Peter Steeves

When I was living in Japan I was informed that it's appropriate to have your former instructor write some kind of note to your new teacher indicating that not only were you a student of theirs, but also that you're being allowed to study elsewhere.

Now, that may or may not be an issue here in the USA. I know that within the Jinenkan, I don't give rank to another instructor's students unless that instructor has written to me to let me know that the student is now officially 'my' student.

Certainly, if you're considering a different organization, or martial art when you move to CA, then it wouldn't be an issue. And, as Dale pointed out, within the same organization, your movement should be what points out your prior training (and hopefully your rank, as well). And, just for the sake of saying it, you're more than welcome to visit with my group for a while if you're settling in the LA area. Quite a few of my students know the local Bujinkan instructors very well, and can tell you who trains where, when, etc.

If you need anything and you're coming to this area, give me a call, and I'll help you get set up any way I can: 310-477-8425

OP
Shinkengata

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate your courtesy, but unfortunately i'll be 12 hours north of LA in Lake County.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. The issue of your new instructor verifying your rank is a moot point, because if you have no menkyo from Japan, then you have no official rank in the Bujinkan.
My suggestion would be to explain your situation to your new instructor. He can contact your old instructor if he sees fit, but he will need to grade you appropriately, and order the menkyo from Japan for you.

Latest Discussions