Men vs Women

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I defer to the wisdom of Joshua, the computer from War Games:

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well it's certainly insightful and the mysteries of Men and Women is slowly being solved (yeah, as if! :rolleyes:)... I wouldn't say it's the BEST but it's very good and does have a lot of truth to it.
Interpretation of what one is saying takes practice and patience but definitely both sides have to work at the communication game.
Yes, men have this overwhelming need to be able to solve problems because of the stigma that has been placed on them from previous generations. It's a man's place, a man's job to care for the family unit. The better he is at it (the competitiveness) the better he feels about it. But thankfully the author did state that "We cannot lump all men or all women into fixed categories"...

Personally I think the worse answer that a man or woman can give to their SO is "...nothing..." accompanied by that particular *sigh* which in of itself says a hellva lot.

I defer to the wisdom of Joshua, the computer from War Games:

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

Indeed.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a very tough and dangerous area to generalize in. But one thing I've noticed amongst the women I've known is that as a rule they have more of sense of social context and background than men do, and they keep track of that (changing) context on a continuous basis. So when they say something, they are thinking of it in the particular relevant context. Men typically don't (except when they are involved in certain kinds of competitive situations, e.g., two guys vying for a promotion where they work; then they're comparable to the most delicate seismograph when it comes to extracting informormation from what someone who might know something about the situation is saying). So often when a woman says something to a man, she may well be assuming that he can see what she's saying against the same vivid picture of background social relationships that he does. But I know for an awful fact that I don't do that, which winds up with me missing the point, leading to frustration on both our parts: me thinking, c'mon, you're expecting me to be a mind-reader! and her thinking... how to put it delicately?... uh, why is Bob so dumb???