Me, Weights, and Kung Fu - Training update

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1647024174216.png

I can't feel my legs. Totally the opposite of this. My legs ache and they are tired, and I don't want to do any more footwork, but I know I will. The pain I feel isn't injury pain. It's just that feeling you get when your muscles are really being worked. I verified this with my son. He's feeling the same thing as well so it's not just me. The massage gun helps even though it's a temp fix that only lasts for a few hours of relief.

My muscle endurance is nice. Last night I worked my arms until I had nothing left. After that I took a short break and did bench press with the bar, starting with the bar itself. I was able to lift up to 185lbs on spent arms and I was able to get 5 reps on each lift with no problems except for the 185lbs. I didn't have anyone to spot me and I didn't want to take chances of pushing at the end. The heaviest that I lifted before then was a 25lb dumbbell press. This was something that I was just curious about and will not be making it part of my workout.

Legs are getting stronger, mobility is getting better, even though my hip flairs up with certain movements. My knees feel tired and used. I'm not feeling any pain, just a light ache. My weight is steady (still need to lose 30 lbs). My blood pressure is coming down. I'm not worried too much about losing the weight as my intensity level has been increasing and I'm slowly getting into my core exercises which take a lot out of me.

I offered kicking advice for one of the people that come into the heavy bag room. For a month I've watch him use poor kicking techniques. I just couldn't take it anymore so I fixed his front kick. Only time will tell if he will stick with it. The MMA guy has broken 2 heavy bags (I'm only assuming that he broke them because the bags he trains on were taken down. Some of the supports for the bags are loose. Gotta let management know so they can fix it. The last thing I want is a big metal beam to fall down on someone. I'm currently thinking about mapping out a low intensity day to help my recover a little faster.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hard recovery. Last night. My muscles just wouldn't work. At on point it felt like something would snap. Woke up this morning and it felt like I slept under some bricks.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hard recovery. Last night. My muscles just wouldn't work. At on point it felt like something would snap. Woke up this morning and it felt like I slept under some bricks.
Sounds like you're working hard. Just make sure you know the signs of rhabdo if you're going to work that hard with that kind of volume.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like you're working hard. Just make sure you know the signs of rhabdo if you're going to work that hard with that kind of volume.
Thanks, for the info. I'll keep an eye on it. I think it was just just too soon for me to jump back in. The muscles that were hurting last night are not the ones that I usually work out. I think it was too much too fast. Starting weight of 15lbs for curls is probably too high for the number of times I curl the weights. I'll do a test run on Sunday (tomorrow) to see if there is any improvement. Not to workout but to see if the issue is still there. But as of now it looks like my bicep workouts are going to be a once a week party.

I think the fact that last year I was doing a mile walk every night while doing bicep curls with 8lbs made me think I could handle more and that a minute curls should be manageable at a higher weight. A good case of What I can lift vs What I should be lifting. I definitely don't want any additional issues. injuries = less training. So I don't need to tear my body up.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yet another reason to never drink alcohol before, during, or after hard training. It not only turns off the fat burning system, but it can literally melt muscle.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yet another reason to never drink alcohol before, during, or after hard training. It not only turns off the fat burning system, but it can literally melt muscle.
noting this as a passing thought since I don't drink. Lol

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Update I had a light workout with weights and kung fu I just went through my forms and did some light shadow boxing and light kicking. I feel fresher today. Looks like my brutal days will take 2 days for my body to get sorted. My son took a day off training on his own. Which is good.
I'll see what today brings. Tuesday and Wednesday are my off days so Monday may be my hard day.