McDonalds Obesity Lawsuit Thrown Out!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've been looking at stupid law suits in this thread.... how about some stupid laws to go along with them? These are from my home state of Virginia.

Children are not to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.

It is illegal to tickle women.

Driving while not wearing shoes is prohibited. (Repealed)

You may not work on Sunday. (Repealed)

Citizens must honk their horn while passing other cars.

It is illegal to spit on sidewalk.

There is a state law prohibiting "corrupt practices of bribery by any person other than candidates."

Police radar detectors are illegal.

It is illegal to sell peanut brittle on Sundays. (Repealed)

You cannot sell lettuce on Sunday, but you can sell beer, wine etc. (Repealed)

You cannot buy hardware of any kind on Sunday. (Passed in 1975, repealed in 1977)

Culpeper
No one may wash a mule on the sidewalk.

Dayton
A person of color may not be oustide or within the city limits after 7 pm.

Lebanon
It is illegal to kick your wife out of bed.

Norfolk
Women must wear a corsette after sundown and be in the company of male chaperone.

A man may face 60 days in jail for patting a woman's derriere.

Spitting on a sea gull is not tolerated.

Richmond
It is illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for a coffee.

Stafford County
It is legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps so long as it is before 8:00 pm.

Victoria
It is illegal to skate down the sidewalk of Main Street.

Virginia Beach
It is also unlawful to drive by the same place within 30 minutes on Atlantic Avenue.

If you are drunk and not driving your car, and the person who is driving the car is drunk as well, you may both receive DUI's.

It is illegal to use profanity on Atlantic Avenue or the boardwalk.

It is illegal for a person to ride on the handlebars of a bike.

Waynesboro
It is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and here is West Virginia.

If you wear a hat inside a theater, you may be fined.

Roadkill may be taken home for supper.

No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."

Doctors and dentists may not place a woman under anesthesia unless a third person is present.

It is illegal to snooze on a train.

According to the state constitution, it is unlawful for anyone to own a red or a black flag.

When a railroad passes within 1 mile of a community of 100 or more people in it, they must build a station and stop there regularly to pick up and drop off passengers.

Whistling underwater is prohibited.

Alderson
One may not walk a lion, tiger or leopard, even on a leash.

Nicholas County
No member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during a church service.

Huntington
Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a firehouse.

It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
It's amazing how we live in a society where people expect to get rich off of their own stupidity.

Heh...check out what I added to my signature. It is amazing. When I die, I want to be known for saying the last thing in my signature. :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Heh...check out what I added to my signature. It is amazing. When I die, I want to be known for saying the last thing in my signature. :)

O.K....I'm stupid! :rofl: See, that's what I am talking about...

O.K...NOW try to read the last quote in my signature. :rolleyes:

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
and here is West Virginia.

Roadkill may be taken home for supper.

Doctors and dentists may not place a woman under anesthesia unless a third person is present.

Most of those seem like classic "Blue Laws", but these two I can see.

The anesthesia one is because there have been rapes when the woman passes out and no one else is around. They even have video of one doctor (plastic surgeon I think) raping a patient while she was under.

You may laugh at the roadkill one, but I was with a friend near the WV border in OH when we hit a deer. A cop came and shot it in the head and then called someone to pick it up. The someone was a local that was very poor and had a wife and three kids. He told us he comes and gets all the edible (fresh) roadkill in the area if called when it is hit. He said he didn't think he could feed his family if things like this didn't happen. Hey if its fresh, free and he wants it, go ahead and take it; better than letting it sit on the roadside and rot.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of those seem like classic "Blue Laws", but these two I can see
Oh, I can see them as well. They just happened to be listed with the rest. I checked out the ones for california on a whim and wasn't dissapointed.

Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.

Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

Many animals are illegal to own as pets, including snails, sloths, and elephants.

Bathhouses are against the law.

In an animal shelter, lizards and snakes are treated under the same guidelines as cats and dogs.

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Women may not drive in a house coat.

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Arcadia
Peacocks have the right of way to cross any street, including driveways.

Alhambra
You cannot leave your car on the street overnight without the proper permit.

Baldwin Park
Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.

Belvedere
City Council order reads: "No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash."

Blythe
You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.

Burlingame
It is illegal to spit, except on baseball diamonds.

Carmel
Ice cream may not be eaten while standing on the sidewalk. (Repealed when Clint Eastwood was mayor)

Women may not wear high heels while in the city limits.

Chico
Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine.

Downey
It is illegal to wash your car in the street. (Passed 1995).

Hollywood
It is illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time.

Lafayette
You are forbidden to spit on the ground within 5 feet of another person.

Lodi
It is illegal to own or sell "Silly String".

Lompoc
It is illegal to posses, own or raise roosters. This is considered disturbing the peace.

Long Beach
It is illegal to curse on a mini-golf course.

Cars are the only item allowed in a garage.

Los Angeles
Toads may not be licked.

You may not hunt moths under a street light.

It is a crime for dogs to mate within 500 yards of a church. Breaking this law is punishable by a fine of $500 and/or six months in prison.

You cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.

Zoot suits are prohibited.

It is illegal to cry on the witness stand.

It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.

Ontario
Roosters may not crow in the city limits.

Pacific Grove
Molesting butterflies can result in a $500 fine.

Palm Springs
It is illegal to walk a camel down Palm Canyon Drive between the hours of four and six PM.

Pasadena
It is illegal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her boss.

Prunedale
Two bathtubs may not be installed in the same house.

Redlands
Motor vehicles may not drive on city streets unless a man with a lantern is wallking ahead of it.

Riverside
One may not carry a lunch down the street between 11 and 1 o'clock.

San Diego
The owners of houses with Christmas lights on them past February second may be fined up to $250.

It is illegal to shoot jackrabbits from the back of a streetcar.

San Francisco
Persons classified as "ugly" may not walk down any street.

Prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street unless they are on a leash.

It is illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner.

It is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear.

San Jose
It is illegal to have more than two cats or dogs. -Ord. 7.08.595

Santa Monica
You may not play percussion instruments on the beach.

Temecula
Ducks have the right of way to cross Rancho California St. at all times.

L

liangzhicheng

Today we have non-smoking sections. In some states no public building including Bars allow smoking. In Ontariao it is all public building except Bars. Society has determined that this is a problem and people are fighting against it. Yet, the Magazines all have the ads and target our youths. So, until society decides that it is good for them to have this problem addressed then it will remain.

Getting on the soapbox...:soapbox:
One of the things that gets me is that there's a lot of talk about smoking being bad for you, but...not a whole lot of talk about alcohol being bad for you. Before I go on, let me state that I do not find "social" drinking to be bad per se, but rather drinking to get drunk, etc. (I do find it ridiculous to drink for courage as well).

Like cigarettes, alcohol can be addictive. We're all familiar with AA. Long term, too much alcohol can lead to liver failure. Short term, alcohol leads to impaired judgement

The following is taken from here:

Blood Alcohol Changes in Feelings Physical and Mental
Concentration and Personality Impairments

0.01 — 0.06 Relaxation Thought
Sense of Well-being Judgment
Loss of Inhibition Coordination
Lowered Alertness Concentration
Joyous

0.06 — 0.10 Blunted Feelings Reflexes Impaired
Disinhibition Reasoning
Extroversion Depth Perception
Impaired Sexual Distance Acuity
Pleasure Peripheral Vision
Glare Recovery

0.11 — 0.20 Over-Expression Reaction Time
Emotional Swings Gross Motor Control
Angry or Sad Staggering
Boisterous Slurred Speech

0.21 — 0.29 Stupor Severe Motor
Lose Understanding Impairment
Impaired Sensations Loss of Consciousness
Memory Blackout

0.30 — 0.39 Severe Depression Bladder Function
Unconsciousness Breathing
Death Possible Heart Rate

=> 0.40 Unconsciousness Breathing
Death Heart Rate

The following quote comes from here

"The study by the federally supported Task Force on College Drinking estimated that drinking by college students contributes to 500,000 injuries and 70,000 cases of sexual assault or date rape. Also, 400,000 students between 18 and 24 years old reported having had unprotected sex as a result of drinking. "

The following information comes from here:

Traffic crashes,traffic crash fatalities, and alcohol-related traffic crash fatalities, United States, 1977-2000.

Col 1: Year
Col 2: Traffic crashes
Col 3: Traffic crash fatalities (a)
Col 4: Alcohol-related traffic crash fatalities (b)
Col 5: Percent of all traffic crash fatalities (b/a)

2000 37,526 41,945 13,050 31.1
1999 37,140 41,717 12,547 30.1
1998 37,107 41,501 12,663 30.5
1997 37,324 42,013 12,870 30.6

Age-adjusted death rates* of liver cirrhosis by sex: death registration States, 1910-32, and United States, 1933-99.
Year Both-sexes Males Females
1999 9.9 14.0 6.3
1998 9.5 13.4 6.1
1997 9.7 13.6 6.2
1996 9.8 13.9 6.2
1995 10.0 14.4 6.2

By the time they reach the eighth grade, nearly 50 percent of adolescents have had at least one drink, and over 20 percent report having been “drunk” (1). Approximately 20 percent of 8th graders and almost 50 percent of 12th graders have consumed alcohol within the past 30 days (1). Among 12th graders, almost 30 percent report drinking on 3 or more occasions per month (2). Approximately 30 percent of 12th graders engage in heavy episodic drinking, now popularly termed “binge” drinking—that is, having at least five or more drinks on one occasion within the past 2 weeks—and it is estimated that 20 percent do so on more than one occasion (2).

Alcohol and Sleep in Those Without Alcoholism

Alcohol consumed at bedtime, after an initial stimulating effect, may decrease the time required to fall asleep. Because of alcohol's sedating effect, many people with insomnia consume alcohol to promote sleep. However, alcohol consumed within an hour of bedtime appears to disrupt the second half of the sleep period (7). The subject may sleep fitfully during the second half of sleep, awakening from dreams and returning to sleep with difficulty. With continued consumption just before bedtime, alcohol's sleep-inducing effect may decrease, while its disruptive effects continue or increase (8). This sleep disruption may lead to daytime fatigue and sleepiness. The elderly are at particular risk, because they achieve higher levels of alcohol in the blood and brain than do younger persons after consuming an equivalent dose. Bedtime alcohol consumption among older persons may lead to unsteadiness if walking is attempted during the night, with increased risk of falls and injuries (3).

Alcoholic beverages are often consumed in the late afternoon (e.g., at "happy hour" or with dinner) without further consumption before bedtime. Studies show that a moderate dose1 of alcohol consumed as much as 6 hours before bedtime can increase wakefulness during the second half of sleep. By the time this effect occurs, the dose of alcohol consumed earlier has already been eliminated from the body, suggesting a relatively long-lasting change in the body's mechanisms of sleep regulation (7,8).

The adverse effects of sleep deprivation are increased following alcohol consumption. Subjects administered low doses of alcohol following a night of reduced sleep perform poorly in a driving simulator, even with no alcohol left in the body (9,10). Reduced alertness may potentially increase alcohol's sedating effect in situations such as rotating sleep-wake schedules (e.g., shift work) and rapid travel across multiple time zones (i.e., jet lag) (9). A person may not recognize the extent of sleep disturbance that occurs under these circumstances, increasing the danger that sleepiness and alcohol consumption will co-occur.

Percent who drink beverage alcohol, by gender, 1939-2000. Year Both Sexes Men Women
2000 64 - -
1999 64 - -
1997 61 - -

1996 58 - -
1994 65 70 61

Compare that to the number of smokers (here )
In the United States, an estimated 25.9 million men (27.1 percent) and 22.8 million women (22.2 percent) are smokers. These people are at higher risk of heart attack and stroke. About 4.1 million teenagers ages 12 through 17 are smokers. The latest estimates for persons age 18 and older show...*
Among non-Hispanic whites, 26.5 percent of men and 23.6 percent of women smoke.
Among non-Hispanic blacks, 29.0 percent of men and 21.3 percent of women smoke.
Among Hispanics, 24.7 percent of men and 13.3 percent of women smoke.
Among Asians / Pacific Islanders, 17.9 percent of men and 9.9 percent of women smoke.
Among American Indians/Alaska Natives, 41.7 percent of men and 38.1 percent of women smoke

I think it's a bit funny that there is a bit of public outrage over cigarette smoking, yet little talk about alcohol. Advertisers may not directly advertise to childern...they don't need to. Drinking is so prevalent in our society that it is the norm. Compare 64% of the population who drinks alcohol to 27% who smoke cigarettes. If people in general are stupid already, drinking will only make them more stupid. Among my age group (college/graduate school), it is common to hear how great alchohol is, and how it is necessary to have alcohol to have fun. Then there's the folks who drink alcohol so that they can be more confident. "I'm not drunk enough to dance/sing/etc." Uh huh. Perhaps you have heard of something called personal responsibility? What a society we live in when confidence comes from outside, not within. Liquid courage indeed...courage to be a drunken driver, sexual predator, courage to free oneself from responsibility. As a martial artist, I do not want to do anything that will take away from my ability to defend myself or others. Hmmm...perhaps alcohol does this? Naw...it must be alright because everyone's doing it. But wait, most people are "stupid"....

Getting off soapbox, and awaiting public fury....

PS., yes I know there are studies saying that moderate drinking is beneficial to one's health, see my above statement about social drinking

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
working in a bar that serves alcohol on a daily basis is not likely to give me cancer.
working in a bar surrounded by smokers is much more likely to make me sick.

that's why people are against smoking.

I am unlikely to become sick or injured because someone else near me is drinking, so therefore, I don't care if that person is drinking as long as they aren't driving, and there are already laws against that.

with someone smoking, in order to not be affected, I either have to move or stop breathing. either one is an inconvenience to say the least.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a little something to think about as far as the alchohol is concerned...... The federally mandated limit for BAC for a commercial airline pilot is .08 the federally mandated limit for BAC for a commercial truck driver is .04...... why is it that a truck driver is allowed a lower BAC than an airplane pilot? I gave up alchohol a long time ago but if I have even a dose of cough syrup before hitting the road I could be over the limit. I'm hauling freight, the pilot is hauling people.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by liangzhicheng
Getting on the soapbox...:soapbox:
One of the things that gets me is that there's a lot of talk about smoking being . . . . .

. . . . . . away from my ability to defend myself or others. Hmmm...perhaps alcohol does this? Naw...it must be alright because everyone's doing it. But wait, most people are "stupid"....

Getting off soapbox, and awaiting public fury....

PS., yes I know there are studies saying that moderate drinking is beneficial to one's health, see my above statement about social drinking

Wow. I'm so depressed I think I grab a beer, or four. ;) :cheers: :drink2tha :drinkbeer

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
400,000 students between 18 and 24 years old reported having had unprotected sex as a result of drinking.

Well... I know it has certainly helped me along... When you are as WEIRD lookin as I am, you need SOME advantage...
:rofl:

L

liangzhicheng

I think, perhaps we should take a long look at ourselves and ask if we ourselves are stupid. It's a hard question that our egos will ardantly dismiss. How can the parent who smokes tell their children not to smoke? IMHO, people change for the better because they want to. What we can do to encourage change is to provide an environment conducive to positive change. Peer pressure can be a big factor in one's life, especially at younger ages. We want to fit in. Now if our peers were smokers, we'd feel pressure to smoke ourselves, and the converse is true as well. So this leads back to asking if we ourselves are stupid. If we wish others weren't stupid, we'd better make sure we're not stupid ourselves. I'm not perfect, far from it, but I think asking myself questions like these have helped me become a better person. (though apparently, I still haven't learned not to be preachy yet ;)) We can't rely on laws to change society. To end...the quote you know is coming...

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world" - Gandhi

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
many of my friends smoke. I don't feel at all pressured to participate, and they respect me enough not to ask if I want a cigarette.

I have a little sign that someone gave me...

"anyone found smoking in this area will be considered 'on fire' and treated accordingly"

one or two episodes with a super soaker, and everyone knows not to light up at my place...

outside on the balcony is ok, tho. just not inside.

L

liangzhicheng

Originally posted by Nightingale

I have a little sign that someone gave me...

"anyone found smoking in this area will be considered 'on fire' and treated accordingly"

one or two episodes with a super soaker, and everyone knows not to light up at my place...

:rofl: That's awesome :D