Material arts and tricking

Claire3kr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to do tricking when I was in middle and high school for fun, and I'd throw in some kickboxing-like moves into the mix at times. People said it looked badass

I like what he's doing! Tell him to keep it up!

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I have a kid which have been doing material for many years now.

He combine it with tricking, and try to spread the interest for materials art using youtube.

I like the combination - not for fighting, but for shows.

Example:

Chanel:
Lukas VOL

Do any of you have your own YouTube channel?

Best Regards

K
I was actually captivated more by his video editing skills :')

Still some cool stuff. I think we all wish we could do some of that stuff.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually captivated more by his video editing skills :')

Still some cool stuff. I think we all wish we could do some of that stuff.

Not me. I've had a life long passion for martial arts, but I've never had any interest at all in gymnastics.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't think you'd complain if you could do a standing backflip lol

Except I'd never waste the time and energy learning to do so.

A few years ago, we had some silly kid come by the dojang for one of the free classes. He had lots of stories about his training and his plans for the future. And he thought tricking was just Da Bomb. He particularly liked running up a wall and flipping off it. I said I thought doing that was a good way to get hurt. He did it again. When he landed, my foot was in front of his totally exposed face. He was also fond of those big spinning turns (like the silly 720 stuff). I stepped in while he was spinning in the air and did nothing but cover up and bump into him. Splat. Down he goes.
Gymnastics are fine and dandy. They're not martial arts.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

A few years ago, we had some silly kid come by the dojang for one of the free classes. He had lots of stories about his training and his plans for the future. And he thought tricking was just Da Bomb. He particularly liked running up a wall and flipping off it. I said I thought doing that was a good way to get hurt. He did it again. When he landed, my foot was in front of his totally exposed face. He was also fond of those big spinning turns (like the silly 720 stuff). I stepped in while he was spinning in the air and did nothing but cover up and bump into him. Splat. Down he goes.

I don’t think I’d consider learning a new skill a waste of time and energy. If the martial arts standard is only what’s really good in a fight, I’d say we waste our time a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’d consider learning a new skill a waste of time and energy. If the martial arts standard is only what’s really good in a fight, I’d say we waste our time a lot.

There is a continuum of usefulness, with "really useful" on one end and "stupid" on the other. Feel free to spend your time learning any part of it you like. My comment was in reply to the statement that we "all" wish we could do this stuff. And the answer is no, some of us really do not.
It doesn't bother me if you want to do backflips. But I personally have better things on which to spend my limited training time.
And if you try to show off with them in a MA setting, I have no problem demonstrating why backflips are not martial arts.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was 5, a hung Mongolian girl always took me down, mounted on top of me, and punched on my head daily. I started to train MA since then so I would never allow any girl to mount on top of me for the rest of my life.

That really sucks for Mrs.Wang.

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

i hope the kid isn't hurt by flying straight into a leg. I think tricking is like the demonstrations aspects of Martial arts, and it could serve to increase interest. different facets of MA

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i hope the kid isn't hurt by flying straight into a leg.

Unlike the kid, I have enough skill and control that there was no contact with the kick. Just the clear opportunity to completely flatten him if I'd wanted to do so.

I think tricking is like the demonstrations aspects of Martial arts, and it could serve to increase interest. different facets of MA

Tricking is a lot of things, but it's not martial arts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tricking can be based on martial arts, and I can see where a martial art (or, more accurately, martial arts training) could include some (either for fun, or for the sake of learning some new ways to control the body, with no direct application). But tricking, in and of itself, is not part of martial arts IMO.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tricking can be based on martial arts, and I can see where a martial art (or, more accurately, martial arts training) could include some (either for fun, or for the sake of learning some new ways to control the body, with no direct application). But tricking, in and of itself, is not part of martial arts IMO.
Personally I think of Martial Arts along the similar lines as Dirty Dog. But I understand and accept that the term Martial Arts often includes things that I wouldn't consider as a martial arts. For me it's just a issue with the definition of Martial. If we look up the definition of of Martial, we will see that there's nothing about "Tricking" that would fit that definition of Martial.

I also think people get the wrong definition of Art as it applies to Martial. People tend to look at the Art portion as an creative artistic performance. The best definition of Art in terms of Martial Arts is this one - "4. A skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice." source: art | Definition of art in English by Oxford Dictionaries

This is something that seems to have always existed with martial arts (the fighting arts)

Boxing
Wrestling
Cowboys
Soldiers
Warriors

have all fascinated cultures from an artistic and creative non-fighting performance that is used to represent the (real fighting). All have made their way into movies and theater. I have grown over the years because what is happening is that my skill sets are becoming something that's rare and will eventually be more valuable than those used for performance and entertainment.

I'm one of the few (in comparison to all martial artists) that would fit in a bucket labeled "Practitioner of the Lost Art of Fighting."

Edit: I'm not saying that martial arts can't be other things. For me it's only one type of thing, but I accept that my view and understanding of Martial Arts is not how everyone sees it. I have one path for me and see the paths that others take. But we both call it a Path

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unlike the kid, I have enough skill and control that there was no contact with the kick. Just the clear opportunity to completely flatten him if I'd wanted to do so.

Tricking is a lot of things, but it's not martial arts.

Unless you rate athleticism as a martial skill.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would also like to highlight.
Martial arts is now starting to be known as Martial Combat in an effort to separate it from Performance Martial Arts. There is an acknowledgement of the different perspective of Martial arts. Sort of like Karate Combat.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But tricking, in and of itself, is not part of martial arts IMO.
When I was young, I loved to jump off from the roof top and landed on the ground. I asked my CMA teacher how to reduce the shock during landing. My teacher told me that I had to do forward flip. Why the forward flip can reduce the shocking during landing, I still don't have scientific proof for it.

Should this be part of the MA training? It's good skill to have in order to escape from fat cops chasing.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions