Mastering the Wooden Dummy

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was taught in a very similar manner; we go over very basic dummy motions a good while before actually learning the form itself. Interesting stuff!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use the dummy for a lot of mini drills such as this from almost the very beginning. Also spend time assuring the structure, positions, and pressure are all correct to direct the arms to the proper corners and not just striking into the arm.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good video. Being a lower level student, but one who already has a dummy (was over eager and built a full size one for home practice), it is good to pick out those things that are good to practice at this level, without trying to do the actual form or other stuff that is too early to learn.
I run thru the same exercices you show in the video: Gan, Kwan, Tan Da, the stepping and pivoting, among a handful of other bits. Its been good practice in terms of visualizing / focusing on centreline, and viewing the arms as obstacles in the way of striking the center instead of just hitting them.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I use the dummy for a lot of mini drills such as this from almost the very beginning. Also spend time assuring the structure, positions, and pressure are all correct to direct the arms to the proper corners and not just striking into the arm.

Hi Danny yes I agree..a little bit harder to grasp then what I presented but I agree..

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Futsao - since you mention in the video that it is more for a beginner student...you should consider posting it over on the Reddit site...seems to be a lot of less seasoned chunner's over there. Food for thought dude.
Wing Chun Kung Fu

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Futsao - since you mention in the video that it is more for a beginner student...you should consider posting it over on the Reddit site...seems to be a lot of less seasoned chunner's over there. Food for thought dude.
Wing Chun Kung Fu
Thanks Kwan Sau..I used to post some of my vids a while back, but I got a lot of flack from the mods over there I stopped posting my stuff.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is the way I learned the dummy form and much the same way to memorize music...it is called the snowball effect...just learning a little at a time and get decent with it...then a little more...then combine them...then a little more and add that on...then a little more and in some time you have just learned the whole form.

Treznor

White Belt
Reaction score
The way I learnt it was to go through as much as possible in class... then go home and write it all up in a notepad...

Then, as well as doing 'virtual dummy' training during the week (since I don't have an actual one), I'd go through all the moves in my head as I was going to sleep... About 3 weeks in (training once a week) and I pretty much had the moves down... Then it's just a case of polishing up the technique / positioning etc.

I used a similar method for the 3rd form... but added another step with the notebook... A few weeks in, I went through the whole form and noted down the concepts behind each step.

Latest Discussions