Mas Oyama.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Everyone just needs to take these stories with several grains of salt, though. At least Gracie and Oyama are / were the real thing, and really could kick just about anyone else's butts out there. They didn't have to hide behind false pretenses like certain neo-ninjas do (Radford D, for example).

Exactly.

Radford D vs Mas Oyama is a fight I`d like to see :rolleyes:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Exactly.

the universe might explode!

I seem to recall a story on SNL about when Da Bears go up against Da Bulls :ultracool

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
It's a martial arts "tradition" to wildly exagerate claims. Look at the things all the old masters are said to have done, they all grow over time. That's one of the beauties and the flaws of oral history.

You are on the money. It is that whole "monkey in a suitcase" thing that we all did in 1st grade. One person hears a story and passes it on slightly different and the next does the same. After a few times you are killing aliens with your bear hands.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Exactly.

With or without the 10,000 dollar challenge? :rofl:

James Clifton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I heard that Oyama's hands were so bad from all that pounding,he couldn't even hold a cup of coffee in his later yrs.
Jim Clifton

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
James Clifton said:
I heard that Oyama's hands were so bad from all that pounding,he couldn't even hold a cup of coffee in his later yrs.
Jim Clifton

It's possible to happen after all the pounding, sure it is possible.

James Clifton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I first started in MA,I GOT AHOLD OF oYAMA'S BOOK !I was really impressed,started pounding my hans & knuckles.One of the Instructors,pulled me aside & suggested I stop.Told me,you don't need to do this,do NOT do this & told me why he was against it.Man am I glad I listened.The WAY the old masters trained is NOT always the BEST.I have a friend that plays baseball in Korea,he takes time off after the season & rests.THE TEAM trains with NO REST.When he returns he ALWAYS is ready,while the TEAM has many injuries.
Jim

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
It's possible to happen after all the pounding, sure it is possible.

Repeated pounding to one's hands will eventually result in the destruction of the nerves in the hands. While this isn't really a problem for the vast majority of those who practice martial arts, Oyama wasn't exactly part of that vast majority.

It's just like boxers, who have had their heads hit so many times, that they are desensitized to the pain, simply because their nerves are dead in that area. Those are the same features that allow them to take a punch to the face, and not well up in tears (as almost all of us here would end up doing). However, it's not surprising that in their later years, they lose some of the fine control of their facial muscles.

All in all, a decent amount of conditioning of one's hands isn't going to cause a loss of motor control, as long as you don't overdo it. Toughness is certainly to be admired, but not at the cost of losing one's finer abilities.

Shaolin Bushido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The record of Rickson Gracie and Mas Oyama is exagerrated by the masses and they contributed to it unwillingly or willingly. The fact that we know that and still harp on it reeks of jealous envy. They are both examples of OUTSTANDING martial artists and few that have gone before or will come after will after will be able to match them.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
James Clifton said:
Jim Clifton

Oyama had seriously enlarged knuckles, but it did not noticeably affect his use of the hand. I am pretty sure he had some pain, but not enough to affect him.
I am afraid that you have heard a myth.

The kind of training he went trough and which caused the enlarged knuckles was insane, and not to be copied. But he got lucky and didnt get crippled because of it, as some claim.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are other greats that tought him like Yamaguchi who also was a referance James Mitose sent his student Anton Krucky to.I will not say whos better but,I will say I have a nice video archives showing founders like Kono-Yamaguchi-Funakoshi-Chen Man Ching-Lee Ang-Bruce Lee-High Dang Fashu-Willie Wetzel-Antonio Illistrisimo-E Ellistrisimo-Subing Subing-Pedoy & many more greats.The films I have are good history & show for that moment what was.Gives some persccetive to as to per say a book.You dont see or know how they got from 1 to another move,other then guess.The videos show me if the have power-skills-timing-teaching abilities-history-and who they are.1 film I have is ninja by Ashida Kim Auther of many books.Seeing him act out a green hornet sceen-then dodge sound effect bullets & strugle trying to dis arm a gun.Show me a con & he made some money till he claimed KOGA NINJA which came orig from Korea & I had a rank in.I will say this -ninja is good for in & out or spy type.Ninja is good if you know some type of hand to hand-multi wepons ect.I personly like the philippino arts as arnis a lone deploys over 100 wepons & empty hand.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
monkey said:
There are other greats that tought him like Yamaguchi who also was a referance James Mitose sent his student Anton Krucky to.I will not say whos better but,I will say I have a nice video archives showing founders like Kono-Yamaguchi-Funakoshi-Chen Man Ching-Lee Ang-Bruce Lee-High Dang Fashu-Willie Wetzel-Antonio Illistrisimo-E Ellistrisimo-Subing Subing-Pedoy & many more greats.The films I have are good history & show for that moment what was.Gives some persccetive to as to per say a book.You dont see or know how they got from 1 to another move,other then guess.The videos show me if the have power-skills-timing-teaching abilities-history-and who they are.1 film I have is ninja by Ashida Kim Auther of many books.Seeing him act out a green hornet sceen-then dodge sound effect bullets & strugle trying to dis arm a gun.Show me a con & he made some money till he claimed KOGA NINJA which came orig from Korea & I had a rank in.I will say this -ninja is good for in & out or spy type.Ninja is good if you know some type of hand to hand-multi wepons ect.I personly like the philippino arts as arnis a lone deploys over 100 wepons & empty hand.

I can't make sense of your post. Was the point that there were other masters of Oyama's caliber around? I don't think anyone will debate that.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I studied Kyokushin many, many years ago - at that time, kata was stressed very heavily and muay-thai style kicks weren't used at all. The training was very rigorous, typical of Oyama's personality.

He was a legend and an inspiration to many young karateka...including me.

Latest Discussions