Martial arts shouldn't take years to learn.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
To your last comment - I'm not sure if that was a response to something in particular. I often mention the art I teach/train in, because it provides context to folks who are familiar with the type of art.

Another thought - boxing benefits from relaxation, too. Someone too tense (or, perhaps more accurately, incorrectly tense) in boxing will feel the punches more, deliver less power, and move more slowly. Learning to use relaxation and tension properly is a common theme across martial arts. Most people have some "natural" incorrect tension - we unlearn it (it's actually a learned tension) over time.

I think ALL of my tension is incorrect, hence it stems from stress & anxiety, which I mentioned in my other response to someone else. It's something I'm working on...slowly... :D

You mentioned in one of your replies, some Judo & Aikido techniques. Is that what you do? If you did comment about your art, I must have missed it somehow.

Trying to keep up with all of the comments here via mobile is a difficult job! :dead::wtf:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think ALL of my tension is incorrect, hence it stems from stress & anxiety, which I mentioned in my other response to someone else. It's something I'm working on...slowly... :D

You mentioned in one of your replies, some Judo & Aikido techniques. Is that what you do? If you did comment about your art, I must have missed it somehow.

Trying to keep up with all of the comments here via mobile is a difficult job! :dead::wtf:

Have you tried taking a Yoga class? Perhaps Tai Chi? We have a few people who could advise which type of Tai Chi would be beneficial for tension.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

51I6YnU4R9L.jpg

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you tried taking a Yoga class? Perhaps Tai Chi? We have a few people who could advise which type of Tai Chi would be beneficial for tension.

Actually, I haven't hey... I'm so tense that I'm doubting it would work, but I'm always willing to try new things. Is Tai Chi more effective than Yoga? Or do they deliver similar results? :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As they say here in broken Zulu: "EISH!":inpain:

Now I'm confused about the messages... :bored:

I'm very curious why you may disagree? Perhaps I can learn a bit more from your input. Have you tried some Ninjutsu in your art? If so, which kata did you like most & why? :cool:

Tarrycat, where in S.A are you? Just curious.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care if it's listed under a seperate name, it is a similiar technique that he completey disregards and claims that fingers must always be bent. Just like he claims that the rear leg MUST be pointing 25 degrees in the L-stance which I can refute in 10 seconds. Yet he insists on correcting me each time....

Actually, I haven't hey... I'm so tense that I'm doubting it would work, but I'm always willing to try new things. Is Tai Chi more effective than Yoga? Or do they deliver similar results? :)

Not sure to be honest but this is a good place to ask for opinions.
@Xue Sheng any ideas for getting rid of tension, would Tai chi be good? No rude suggestions lol, I already thought of that but thought I'd better not say!

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tarrycat, where in S.A are you? Just curious.

Gauteng region... :) :D - beautiful country, but unfortunately very, very, VERY corrupted. I know all countries are, but I think ours take the cake. If I decide to immigrate, I will either move to the States, or Japan.

One thing I'm concerned about the States, is that a lot of people there live to work, they don't work to live... They work looooong hours (which I admire), but I need time for my Martial Arts & my horse riding too. I need balance in my life & I'm scared that I won't be able to achieve that in the States.

I don't know how the pace is in Japan? If it's just as bad, then I would consider Australia, but I've heard that they aren't very fond of the South Africans...:wideyed:

Europe is a good fit too, as their working hours are very similar to ours.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@Xue Sheng any ideas for getting rid of tension, would Tai chi be good? No rude suggestions lol, I already thought of that but thought I'd better not say!

Virtually any taijiquan would do if trained correctly but it seem that Cheng Manching style or the William CC Chen variation tend to focus more on relaxation. I found the William CC Chen form very relaxing actually. But Traditional Yang, Traditional Sun, Beijing 24 would all work if trained properly. There are also Qigong forms that would works as well and simply standing like the do in Yiquan would help as well. But the standing forms can take time to get through all the monkey mind business before you actually get to the relaxing internally focused bits...same with Zen based mediation to by the way

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not sure to be honest but this is a good place to ask for opinions.

Thanks so much! I'll have a look & ask for suggestions. :) x

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if your Genbukan friend studies under an instructor who started out under Steve Hayes's organization before switching to the Genbukan. I've never heard of the godai theory being part of the Genbukan curriculum. If @Yamabushii is still hanging around the forums, perhaps he can fill us in.

Hi,

Thank you for the tag. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with Stephen Hayes' teachings about the godai. However, in the base Genbukan curriculum for the kyu levels, the only mentions of anything related to the elements are in the introductory rank, and even those are just a part of the rei (bows). The actual teachings about anything "godai" related would be mostly kuden from teachers or a part of Amatsu Tatara which is essentially the more spiritual side of Ninpo.

Not sure if this answered your question at all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gauteng region... :) :D - beautiful country, but unfortunately very, very, VERY corrupted. I know all countries are, but I think ours take the cake. If I decide to immigrate, I will either move to the States, or Japan.

One thing I'm concerned about the States, is that a lot of people there live to work, they don't work to live... They work looooong hours (which I admire), but I need time for my Martial Arts & my horse riding too. I need balance in my life & I'm scared that I won't be able to achieve that in the States.

I don't know how the pace is in Japan? If it's just as bad, then I would consider Australia, but I've heard that they aren't very fond of the South Africans...:wideyed:

Europe is a good fit too, as their working hours are very similar to ours.

I spent some time in old Transvaal. Had a lot of fun running around Jburg and Pretoria, met some nice people.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for the tag. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with Stephen Hayes' teachings about the godai. However, in the base Genbukan curriculum for the kyu levels, the only mentions of anything related to the elements are in the introductory rank, and even those are just a part of the rei (bows). The actual teachings about anything "godai" related would be mostly kuden from teachers or a part of Amatsu Tatara which is essentially the more spiritual side of Ninpo.

Not sure if this answered your question at all.
That does sort of answer the question. If you read TerryCat's original comment that we were responding to, she talks about each kata requiring a certain sort of elemental energy (water, fire, earth, air, void). It doesn't sound like that is part of your standard curriculum.

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
That does sort of answer the question. If you read TerryCat's original comment that we were responding to, she talks about each kata requiring a certain sort of elemental energy (water, fire, earth, air, void). It doesn't sound like that is part of your standard curriculum.

By "standard curriculum", are you referring to our base curriculum for non-black belt ranks? By Genbukan standards, that would be the base curriculum. Once you achieve shodan/black belt in Ninpo, it's similar to graduating high school. You're then off to university and you select a major. In the Genbukan, this can be continuing to grade up in Ninpo, or begin formally ranking up in Jujutsu, Koryu Karate, Chugoku Kenpo, Bikenjutsu, Bojutsu, Naginatajutsu, or any ryu ha such as Kukishinden Happo Bikenjutsu, Koto Ryu, Gyokko Ryu, Gikan Ryu, etc. So ultimately, there is really only one "standard curriculum" which is your white belt (10th kyu) to 3rd stripe brown belt (1st kyu). Under that context, the kata you learn from 10th-1st kyu require no such thing.

Beyond 1st kyu (e.g. shodan and up), that may change. While I am unaware of any formal requirement (except possibly in Amatsu Tatara) to associate elemental energy with kata, I do know that there is kuden (verbal transmission) associated with many kata. So while I would avoid saying it's a requirement, I would also say that by understanding the elements and being able to attribute them to kata, they can improve your techniques.

Example: You are doing a technique called "suisha". This means "water wheel". The root element in this technique is water. Your opponent attacks you and you receive that energy then redirect it back, ultimately throwing them backwards in a manner where you almost end up looking like a water wheel. Or maybe you are assuming a kamae (a.k.a. posture) which is very strong and defensive; this would be a kamae describing the earth. Wind can be attributed to quickness and evasiveness while fire can be attributed to directness and aggression (for the lack of a better word). Ultimately, the 5th being "void" (or "heaven") is being able to culminate all 4 together.

From a more non-physical perspective - if someone is angry with you (fire), you should avoid displaying anger back toward them because, well, obviously you can't fight fire with fire. It would be better to remain calm and redirect their energy into something more positive. This would be assuming the role of water.

Granted, the far majority of classes in Genbukan Ninpo won't entail any discussions such as these. What I explained is a VERY rough and high level overview. There are very, very deep spiritual meanings behind this stuff and isn't taught to most people. Even then, that information probably wouldn't be shared with the public.

Apologies for the long winded answer. Wanted to try my best to answer based on my current knowledge.

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
For the record, I just want to state that I am not implying Ninpo-ka are like Captain Planet. I went back and read some earlier posts. You cannot summon energy like some mystical haduken. It's something you can feel and use to change your understanding of people and situations, or even help you meditate, but it's not a super power.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the record, I just want to state that I am not implying Ninpo-ka are like Captain Planet. I went back and read some earlier posts. You cannot summon energy like some mystical haduken. It's something you can feel and use to change your understanding of people and situations, or even help you meditate, but it's not a super power.
well yes and no, super power is a bit far, but most of us have strengh potential two to three times what we can commonly summon
realising that extra strengh is largely down to control of the cns, turning that,strength into power is also down to cns control, if someone is doing that by visualising themselfs, as a,tiger or a forest fire, i wouldn't be too dismisive of it

Latest Discussions