Martial arts in the news again

B

Black Bear

Can you post the text, for those of us who don't care to get a membership?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../ap_on_re_us/fresno_slayings&cid=519&ncid=716

Referring to the suspected murderer:
Wesson had a strong influence on his sons, said Florian Tan, who in 2001 took over the martial arts school where three of the sons attended classes.

Each boy had to earn a black belt in aikido in order to leave home when he reached manhood, Tan said.

"They said they had to go through his program," which included martial arts training, Tan said. He added that two of the sons, now in their 20s, earned black belts and a teenage boy is still enrolled at the school.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
"Wesson had a strong influence on his sons, said Florian Tan, who in 2001 took over the martial arts school where three of the sons attended classes.

Each boy had to earn a black belt in aikido in order to leave home when he reached manhood, Tan said.
I'm confused. Does Wesson own the school, or is it Tan who owns the school?

It could simply mean the father requires his sons to be black belts, but it doesn't mean that Wesson is the instructor. Tan might simply be explaining what Wesson believed each of his sons had to do to become a man.

- Ceicei

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
Hookay, now that guy is a bit creepy.

A bit...I see you have a gift for understatement. :shrug:

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I understand the story Wesson does not own or run the dojo. Tan does. Wesson had a "program" that his sons had to go through in order to leave home when they reached "manhood" and one of the requirements of the program was that they had to earn a black belt in martial arts. The guy is more than a "bit" creepy. I'd say the guy is the very definition of it. I find it interesting (and a little disturbing) that the only part of Wesson's program that was put out in the initial reports was the requirement for a black belt.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are we talking about the recent murders where the killer was the father and grandfather of the victims. If we are I'd say that he's a little more than just creepy.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it isn't too long, could the entire article be pasted here? That clip, by itself isn't too bad to me in a day and age where there really aren't any real 'rites of passage' for young people other than driver's license and drinking age/graduations... martial arts could be a good way of living some solid moral principles... but I don't now about the rest of the info.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fresno Man Charged With 9 Murder Counts
Sun Mar 14, 4:50 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

FRESNO, Calif. - Six coroners, triple the typical weekend staff, worked in shifts Sunday to identify the nine victims of a mass killing, believed to all be family members of a man who lived a bizarre life of polygamy and incest.

AP Photo

AP Photo
Slideshow: Nine Found Dead in Fresno Home

Marcus Wesson, who may have fathered two of the victims with his own daughters, was charged with nine counts of murder. Bail was set at $9 million.

Identifying the victims and tracking down next of kin to be notified was a difficult process.

"It's just very complicated," Deputy Fresno County Coroner Amy Hance said Sunday. "Who do you make notification to if eventually some of the victims are other victims' relatives?"

Wesson, 57, covered with blood but described by police as "very calm," was arrested Friday when he emerged from his home, where authorities found the nine bodies tangled in a pile of clothing in a back room.

Investigators said the victims were six females and three males, ranging in age from 1 to 24 and probably all Wesson's children and grandchildren.

A makeshift memorial of stuffed animals, balloons and flowers grew Sunday on the sidewalk in front of the single-story house, as a steady flow of people came by with more cards and teddy bears.

No motive had been determined, Police Chief Jerry Dyer told reporters.

Police said Wesson had fathered children with at least four women, two of them his own daughters.

"We are exploring the possibility that there were other women he was involved with, either sexually or in some sort of polygamist relationship," Dyer said Saturday.

He said police believe they know the cause of death but would not release that information.

"I can tell you that there were no mutilations," Dyer said. "The bodies were intact."

Dyer added that police "have not ruled out the involvement of any other suspects."

The grisly tale of polygamy, incest and murder stunned not only police but also Wesson's 29-year-old son, Dorian.

"He was a good father. He wasn't abusive at all," Dorian Wesson told the Los Angeles Times.

"I don't want to believe it. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. But they're all dead," said Dorian Wesson, adding that he hadn't seen his father in about a year.

Officers were called to the house Friday for a child custody dispute. After finding the ghastly scene, some officers were placed on administrative leave and were being given counseling.

Police also found 10 wooden coffins. Antique store owner Lois Dugovic said Wesson bought the hand-carved, mahogany coffins about five years ago, saying he planned to use the wood to repair a houseboat.

Wesson had once lived with five women and appeared to have a romantic relationship with each, said Frank Muna, an acquaintance. The women seemed to be under Wesson's control, walking behind him and not speaking when he was present, Muna said.

Neighbors said they knew little about Wesson but noticed that his behavior had become more bizarre, Muna said.

"A lot of what he was saying wasn't relevant to what we were discussing," Muna said.

It is the largest mass killing ever in Fresno, a city of 440,000 people about 190 miles southeast of San Francisco.

___

Associated Press Writer Brian Melley contributed to this report.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, that clarifies the sick comments.... also says something for text out of context. I have to agree with the sick stuff.

It is interesting that off all the things to be brought out specifically, martial arts was mentioned. Not the specifics of the other things. Now, by association MA is for sickos

Latest Discussions