Martial Arts Heros

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts Heros

Ok in the martial arts world there are many people that came before you and people that help you might know some of them and other never even meet but still there your heros so let hear who yours is? And Why?

Also do you try to be a Hero for the students to look up to ?

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
First My bigest Martial Arts Hero Is Chuck Norris cause I wanted to join martial arts cause of him. Then later I Found out he has did so much for tang soo do and sport karate the two things I love to do.

Now my local heros is Master Richard Plowden He is a very nice person who has also done alot for sport karate and alot to make Michigan martial arts Better.

These are my 2 Martial Arts Heros

:asian: :asian:

K

KanoLives

Alright. My biggest influence is definitely Bruce Lee. I know I'm like the millionth person to say that but, I remember watching him when I was like 5 or 6 with my younger brothers and then after his movies we would all start to do karate on each other. :) I always wanted to take karate but because I did other sports as well as my 3 other brothers did too, money was kinda tight for my folks. So I just started the end of last year. Better now than never huh. :D

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the biggest influence in the martial arts in the world is still probably Bruce Lee...

however, Chuck Norris is probably one of the very few that could come close to the term "hero" or just all around good guy, who also has a lot of name recognition.

me personally? while i look up to a lot of people in the martial arts, the only person i can consider my hero is my father, who is not a martial artist at all.

P

progressivetactics

2nd, on Richard Plowden.

One of my instructors/friends was also my heros, but is currently on the run from authorities, so he has been X'd off my hero list.

W

wongfeihung

When I was a kid, I thought Benny The Jet was the coolest guy in the entire world. He was always smaller than his opponents, but he was at least an equal match. And no matter how tired he was after a long bout, if he won, he would always pull off a backflip.

- Travis

D

Disco

My heros are not the normal one's most people would think of. I give total respect to those that give their all for training while at the same time suffer from a handicap. I have seen and trained with people with one arm, a prostetic leg, have MS, Blind and even in a wheel chair. Those are my heros. Train just one day with one of these people and the petty things we often bicker about like rank, ego, minor pain etc. will have no meaning anymore.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Disco
My heros are not the normal one's most people would think of. I give total respect to those that give their all for training while at the same time suffer from a handicap. I have seen and trained with people with one arm, a prostetic leg, have MS, Blind and even in a wheel chair. Those are my heros. Train just one day with one of these people and the petty things we often bicker about like rank, ego, minor pain etc. will have no meaning anymore.

Very Well said! :) :asian:

J

jeffkyle

First of all it would be my Dad. He is my greatest hero...even today!
The person that helped my desire to join the martial Arts was Chuck Norris. Watching his early 80's movies strongly helped my motivation. :)

K

KanoLives

Originally posted by Disco

Excellent point. I have a guy in my class that broke his back in an accident many years ago. He is barely able to lift his legs for kicks but the heart and effort he puts in is awesome and it makes me want to train harder everytime I work with him. And no matter how hard a tech or anything we do in class he always puts in 150%. Hats off to those people. :asian:

K

kenpoevolution

Mr. Parker is my martial arts hero. He created an excellent flexible framework for a martial art. Thus, the art he created can change with time and will always be relevant despite the changing world we live in.

:asian:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sho Kosugi. There's no Kosugi like Sho Kosugi like no Kosugi I know...

In all seriousness, I'd say Mr. Norris. I grew up watching his movies...

T

TACSAFE

One of my heroes is the recently passed Prof. Ramon Ancho. He has helped me so much in my life Here's a bit about him.

Professor Ramon Lono Ancho, Jr. Shihan-The Kodenkan Hombu, Costa Rica Professor Ancho began his study of the Kodenkan Dan Zan Ryu Ju-Jitsu system in Hawaii in 1936 with Professor Henry Seishiro Okazaki, founder of the system, and continued to study with Professor Okazaki until he began his military career in 1945. Professor Ancho also learned kempo karate from the late William Chow. choy lay fut gung fu, and judo as part of his studies with Prof. Okazaki. Professor Ancho has taught the system all his life wherever he has lived and continues to dedicate his life to the perpetuation of this art. While serving 31 years in the U.S. Army, Professor Ancho had a wide variety of exceptional opportunities and experiences. A few of these follow- Military Experience- He served in Germany in 1945, Korea during the conflict, and six tours in Viet Nam with Special Forces (SOG). He has received 28 awards and decorations and has been wounded 5 times.

Martial Arts Related Experience:

A. All-Army boxing champion 1947-51, boxed in the 1948 Pan American Games.

B. Won the All-Army talent show in 1957 with his martial arts exhibition with a subsequent year long, around the world tour and appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show, The Jack Parr Show, and The Steve Allen Show.

C. Appeared in several movies in the late 1950s.

D. He has studied a variety of martial arts around the world including Japan (6 years), China, The Phillipines and Viet Nam.

E. Co-Authored the Army hand-to-hand combat manual in the late 1960s.

F. Numerous military assignments as head hand-to-hand combat instructor.

G. Head Judo coach and hand-to-hand combat instructor at the U.S. Military Academy. Professor Ancho currently holds the rank of Kudan (9th degree black belt) and actively teaches the art.

Rick Hernandez

www.chaosintl.org

www.tacsafe.com

A

A.R.K.

I really don't know much about him, and I wouldn't say he is a hero, but Bruce Tegner got me interested in the MA's when I bought one of his old books at a garage sale as a kid.

:asian:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
First My bigest Martial Arts Hero Is Chuck Norris cause I wanted to join martial arts cause of him. Then later I Found out he has did so much for tang soo do and sport karate the two things I love to do.

:asian: :asian:

I'd have to choose Chuck Norris as well. As I mentioned on this site a few times, I saw Chuck live at my middle school here in SoCal when I was a kid. We had an assembly, and he and his students did a MA demonstration for us. I thought it was very cool, and I became a fan. I always wanted to be a MA practitioner from that point. And more than that, he's an American martial artist, and he took what he learned in Asia, developed it and taught it here in the States. Excellent job Mr. Norris... :asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say that Bruce Lee is who got me interested in MA in general. I studied JKD for quite a while as well. However, I think at this point in my life one of my "heros" would have to be Jackie Chan. Many people do not know his story or his talent, he is way more than a movie star. If you haven't read his autobiography, "I am Jackie Chan", go get it now and read it. Its like $6. Now, as for a true MA Hero, I would have to say my sifu Brandon Jones no doubt. He never ceases to amaze me with his skill or ability, but more than that he provides a role model that you can look up to. He teaches you what he knows and cares about each one of his students. He is someone you can talk to about anything you need, and he is allways there to push you just a little further beyond what you thought you could do.

7sm

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lets see, there is no one person that can hold the title alone, but here are afew of my heros.

O Sensei (M. Ueshiba)- the pacifist

Bruce Lee- the perfectionist

Mas Oyama- the stoic

Dan Inosanto- the humble student

Dr. Maung Gyi- the realist

A. Illustrisimo- the unstoppable

Helio Gracie- the patriarch

M. Musashi- the legend

W. Fairbairns- the soldier

Gene LaBelle- the entertainer

Prof. R. Presas- the inovator

to name just a few

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for years I thought chuck norris was just another entertainer with a background in the arts, then I learned a little more about him and found that he has trained with many many groups in many many arts. I never realized how prolific and humble he really is. I definitly consider him a rolemodel, if not a hero.