Martial Artists in the medical field

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on this. I've been an EMT in Florida, and a Medical Assistant in Massachusetts, where I still reside. In both of these jobs, I was completely comfortable doing the work, because I wasn't doing anything... unique. Today, five minutes ago actually, a family member, who knows I'm looking for work, called me about a position at a retirement home accross the street from her house. It was a graveyard shift, with little work or risk. Then the manager remembered I was 6'5, and a 5th Degree Blackbelt, and they called to offer me a job, as a medical assistant, nothing weird there, but they want me to work a different home, where the people have different needs, and sometimes need to be restrained or calmed down. Has anyone else ever been offered a job because they have Martial Arts training (and/or because of size)? I'm just looking for some feedback. Thanks!!!

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our instructor is a Male Psychiatric Nurse. He is one of only two male nurses that work at our local hospital in the psych ward. He and the other guy have to work it between them that one is always on shift because they can handle difficult patients, to the point that he is sometimes called away from classes when a particulary difficult patient comes in. He actually gets paid extra because of it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Many moons ago I was offered a job in Hospital security that I had not even applied for because of 3 reasons.

1) I had prior experience.
2) I was big, 6'1"
3) I was a martial artist.

I left after 6 month for 2 reasons, a job offer with the state and over 400 confrontations in 6 months. This hospital had like most an active ER as well as a detox and mental health ward.

At the same time I left there for the state I had been interviewing at a much bigger hospital that offered me the job for the same three reasons, but I had applied there. However it was about 10 times bigger and also had all the same as the previous hospital and a prison ward too. I turned it down for less fighting and more pay with the state.

Other than that no.

Latest Discussions