Training with the Grandmaster again!

delicate Flower

White Belt
Reaction score
So just got back from northern Minnesota, training with the grandmaster again, he is here for 3 weeks I go to 2 of his seminars and train. I learned 2 new katas, one open hand and one kobudo, my question is how many katas including kobudo do all of you learn in your systems?? We have 34 katas right now I am working on 22 my mind is mush only 12 to go so to speak, mind you I dont know all of them like the back of my hand yet, however it is a goal of mine. Thoughts????

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, I have to know 16 to test for dan. 8 ITF and 8 WTF forms. 24 one step sparring and a host of other stuff. I am in Tae Kwon Do.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
18 empty hand 19 once I finish gojushiho and add it to the curriculum
12 Kobudo (not all traditional as in Sakugawa or hamahiga many are style specific but all traditional in method)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
At our Wado club the curriculum for 1. Dan includes 14 kata. 2. Dan is 17 and 3. Dan is 20. No weapons.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh - depends which style. :)

First one, Yasashii Do Martial Arts there were:
Pinan 1-5
Wansu
Y-Kata
Gei Kisai
Hangetsu
Yasashii Do
Yasashii Do Kokoro
Yasashii Do Bo
Yasashii Do Sai
Kanku Sho
Kanku Dai
Naihanchi 1-3
Patsai Sho
Patsai Dai
Jihon
Giin
And a couple others I can't remember since I haven't trained in that style in a while.

My TKD school we had:
Taeguks 1-8
Koryo
Several black belt forms I never got to.

IKCA Kenpo we have:
Master Form (gets added to each belt level up to Black)
Blocking Set
Staff Set
I also have a second Blocking Set at my school.

Jujitsu we had no forms, but several we called katas that were really two step techniques done with a partner.

T'ai Chi we had several, but I can't recall the names in my currently medicated state. :)

Latest Discussions