Mantis Guard

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So it turns out that three years after this thread, Stephen Kesting did a series on this guard which is pretty interesting. Here’s the first vid, you can find the rest on YY;

Actually a little different than how Keenan showed it in the original video, but the general principles are the same.
Rob Biernacki (the guy demonstrating the technique to Stephen) is a really good instructor.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This vid goes a bit more in depth about the Mantis Guard if anyone's interested;

I gotta say, given the applications of some of those set ups, this guard is more flexible and adaptive than I originally thought it would be. Maybe some self defense applications are possible after all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck catching Keenan in a footlock from there.

The top player can legitimately try catching a footlock from that position, but unless the bottom player is asleep at the wheel and not aware of the possibilities it's not tremendously likely to succeed.

Done correctly, the straight ankle lock is not a pain lock. I'm not the leg lock master that Dean Lister is, but if I catch you in a straight ankle lock I will break your foot if you don't tap. (Specifically, I will snap the ligaments on the top and outside of the foot.)

Lots of people do teach and practice it as a pain lock, so I understand why you might not respect the move. I didn't respect it either until I learned how to execute it properly.

The pain only is the calf cutter rather than toes in the arm pit?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This vid goes a bit more in depth about the Mantis Guard if anyone's interested;

I gotta say, given the applications of some of those set ups, this guard is more flexible and adaptive than I originally thought it would be. Maybe some self defense applications are possible after all.

For self defence.

I like the idea because I don't have decent scramble. And so use it to threaten and make space so I can stand up.

But it is not really the approved method in MMA as they prefer simpler and more bullet proof stand ups.

Latest Discussions