Mantal toughness

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does this phase actually mean, I hear people say you got to be more mentally tough or you are weak because your mind is. I mean really people do you believe there is a true message to anybody when they are told to be mentally tough?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a person that is mentally tough is in charge of his/her emotions and physical actions... They are not easily broken down and can mentally block or endure any discomfort or emotional pain. JMO.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the army here holds Selection for the SAS and when the Royal Marines recruit a great deal is made of mental toughness. I've seen Selection and also seen the Marines train. However at the beginning you can't tell who will pass and who won't, there's big strong guys who you think could run marathons in their sleep who haven't got the mental discipline to push themselves through pain barriers and the sheer exhaustion needed to pass. On the other hand you've got the lads built like racing snakes that you think would break under the weight of the Bergens and the sheer effort required but breeze through with big grins on their faces. It's a mixture I think of will power, self belief, discipline, courage and sheer belligerent stubbornness in refusing to quit..ever!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does this phase actually mean, I hear people say you got to be more mentally tough or you are weak because your mind is. I mean really people do you believe there is a true message to anybody when they are told to be mentally tough?
Put someone in the push up position until they can't hold it any more then jumping jacks while their arms rest. After a few 100 back down on the mat. Half hour of this a few times a week, and mental toughness will appear over time. "Get them to sign the contract first". :rofl:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When the army here holds Selection for the SAS and when the Royal Marines recruit a great deal is made of mental toughness. I've seen Selection and also seen the Marines train. However at the beginning you can't tell who will pass and who won't, there's big strong guys who you think could run marathons in their sleep who haven't got the mental discipline to push themselves through pain barriers and the sheer exhaustion needed to pass. On the other hand you've got the lads built like racing snakes that you think would break under the weight of the Bergens and the sheer effort required but breeze through with big grins on their faces. It's a mixture I think of will power, self belief, discipline, courage and sheer belligerent stubbornness in refusing to quit..ever!

SO TRUE.... when I went to basic training, I was 6'1" and 155. The big muscle guys or physically fit guys dropped first, I remember I MAXXED out my PT test, while some of the "built" guys barely passed... No stamina and muscle fatigue quickly... ha ha ha... first time I realized I had an advantage over the meat-heads!!!!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question then would be are you born with it or can you acquire it? Is there a certain age where it is too late, or can it surface out of nowhere??? I feel that there is a will to survive in everyone, they just have to have a good reason to put forth the effort, and show this "mental toughness".

Maestro402

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe some ppl are born with it but I do believe it's somethign you can acquire. It's like a lot of things in life it's a choice. You can choose to not let the guy in class that is sparring too hard pull you into his game, you can choose to only do 95 crunche instead of 100 b/c the Master isn't watching/counting yours, you choose to not go to class b/c your muscles are sore, etc.... We could go on and on ... but IMO it's just a state of mind that some are born with and other choose. Some won't be able to find it regardless of training.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's something you're born with. I think it's something you can develop later in life by making choices to move in that direction. To put this in terms of the nature/nurture debate though I would say it's definitely a nurtured trait. I think kids who are always given a pass or a bailout when things get tough will find themselves lacking in mental toughness when they grow up. As I said, I think it can be developed, but is probably a lot better and easier if it is instilled at a young age. I suspect this is true in the dojo as well. If Johny comes into your school at 11 and his parents are always rushing to his aid every time he is "injured" and taking him off the floor, or if the instructors are going easy, and the expectations are not too high "because he is after all, only child" then he will be a 15 or 16 year old expecting to be promoted to black belt but lack the mental toughness to really deserve it.

Just my $0.02

Latest Discussions