Mande Muda Silat Seminar Review

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a review of the Mande Muda Silat seminar that occured on Oct. 11 and 12 of 2003 in Ft. Worth, TX with Ibu Rita Suwanda.

First off, I would like to thank Guru Kelly Smith for hosting the event and for putting my party and I up for the duration of the trip. I was personally able to spend a little extra time with Ibu Rita as a surrogate host due to an unfortunate and tragic accident that precipitated a funeral that called Guru Smith away for the first half of the first day. We were also fortunate enough to have three jagabya at the seminar and I would like to thank them for their extra guidance and knowledge.

For those who don't know Mande Muda is a system of roughly 25 styles of silat and 3-5 at the core from all over Indonesia, but based in west Java. The system was compiled by the late Herman Suwanda from family styles and styles learned during his travels and quest for new silat. Upon his untimely death the mantle of leadership in Mande Muda was passed to the eldest of his three silat trained siblings, Rita Suwanda who continues to spread the art of Mande Muda and the culture of Indonesia.

The early session of the day began with a warm-up that included stretching and mixture of Hari Mau and Cikalong jurus. This continued and turned into application of said jurus. The second session of the day was a group of weapons work that included the trisela, golok and karambit. This was quite a treat! The session concluded with a Q & A session.

The second day started with a few sets of Hari Mau langkas (ouch!) and continued on to application and other techniques from Hari Mau. The second session included a kembongen with application. The day ended with presentation of certificates and pictures with Ibu Rita.

In conclusion, I would like to thank Ibu Rita for coming to spread the art to America and continue on the path of Pak Herman. Her grace in movement, politness in character and knowledge of the art are assets to the world.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi OULobo,

Sounds like the seminar was a blast! From what I hear, she only travels over here only 6 months out of the year.

Do you know if there were or will be any seminar videos made available?

Thanks,

Palusut

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut
Hi OULobo,

Sounds like the seminar was a blast! From what I hear, she only travels over here only 6 months out of the year.

Do you know if there were or will be any seminar videos made available?

Thanks,

Palusut

She was selling the Hari Mau and Pak Manyet videos at the seminar. They aren't really new, but she did have a couple of copies for sale.

Just a note to the MM practitioners. She said that she prolly won't be doing seminars in the US again for a little while, but she did say that she is going to restart the Java camps very soon.

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Upon review yesterday, of the material that we tried to write down from the seminar, I should also note that the second day included a fair amount of syabandar technique also.

M

MNKaliGroupRayW

We had Ibu Rita last year in Minneapolis, It was great! I wish we could get her here more often!

I would love to go to the camp someday soon. If anyother Suwanda Acadamy members are going once they re invite westerners, let me know. I would love to meet other MM players from the US, and it would be less culture shock to know other Americans were going!

Ray

Latest Discussions