MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just remember: If you outlaw Batleths, only dorky outlaws will own Batleths.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True. :)

I posted this here, because as geeky as it is, there seems to be a real point here. That being, defense against non-traditional and fantasy weapons. Look through the latest Bud-K catalog at all the fantasy wall hangers that clueless folks buy because they think they are real. Sure, that Klingon blade would shatter in a real knife fight, won't hold an edge for crap, etc. But it's still sharp and can still hurt. Same with the Gil Hibben blades. Weird as hell, but still functional enough to hurt ya.

Seems today so many people are dropping traditional weapon work in favor of "realistic" stuff. After all, who mugs someone with a hook sword?

Well, who robs a convenience store with a Klingon sword?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there's actually an intimidation benefit to the weird knives. That Klingon thing is menacing as hell, which is probably what it was designed for.

If you pull out a knife, the clerk might try to fight. If you pull out a knife with three blades, and each blade has three blades plus a gnarly spiny thing sticking out of it, he might reconsider.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Gil Hibben knives and the fantasy blades send a clear, unambiguous message:

"Someone has a milling machine and is NOT afraid to use it!"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heh... could've been worse the guy could've slipped an altered glove over this one and pretended he was wolverine! :rolleyes:
Let his beard and hair grow out... trim them... get some gel for the upswept portions along the side of his head and sideburns... Hey! a bad Mo-fo right there dude... now if you can get the clerk to stop laughing...

Attachments

• $wolverine.jpg
    $wolverine.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 198

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use my razor like intellect for that.
That fails, I'll use the nearest blunt object.
Any blonde works well.
:D

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh... could've been worse the guy could've slipped an altered glove over this one and pretended he was wolverine! :rolleyes:
Let his beard and hair grow out... trim them... get some gel for the upswept portions along the side of his head and sideburns... Hey! a bad Mo-fo right there dude... now if you can get the clerk to stop laughing...

Well the Wolverine movie comes out in May so there's still time for this to happen.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If one tries to rob me with a Batleths, I'll just draw my phaser.

Deaf

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if the robber slipped up and wrote the hold up note in Klingon, too... and when this menace is caught, what will the police line up look like?

The banks should give their security guards light sabers.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me. What a total moron. Hopefully in this genius case I hope that there will be only one.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me. What a total moron. Hopefully in this genius case I hope that there will be only one.

Remember, it's only crazy if it doesn't work. He's done it twice, effectively. And he chose to knock over convenience stores instead of banks. And 7-11 has a no weapons policy. The guy has the tactical and psychological advantage.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to call my buddy in colorado springs. He runs a dojo and maybe he can go around to 7-11s and run some free classes on self-defense against a batleth.

Then I'm going to ask him to film them so I can have a laugh.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Batleth http://www.geocities.com/indygizmo/batleth.jpg

It looks intimidating. It looks dangerous. In the hands of someone who can use it, it can be effective. A combination bo/hook sword type deal. Personally, I find it too awkward to use. We're laughing at the "its from a tv show" angle, but really, I've seen Filipino and Chinese blades equally as weird.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect the robber thinks that he has some great skill in the Batleh, much like how some of these swordlike object-swinging manaics think of themselves as great warriors...

There was an incident in Florida about a decade ago, where a pawn shop owner refused to sell a .357 magnum to a crazy-looking fellow. That guy then claimed that he was a master ninja, and assaulted the store owner with a stainless steel ninja-to...

The results weren't pretty. Poor Dave got a couple of feet of steel crammed into his gut, but was able to finish off the lunatic with several shots from his .25 ACP Beretta.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, if you're at th 7-11, and Worf and Gowron walk in, get the **** out of there fast homie!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been in eateries where 2-3 dozen people were dressed like Klingons. I could tell you some good tales about that. (Course I'm also Dep. Quad. Cmd. for the regional KAG fleet.... *ahem* geek)
;)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[geek]According to Marc Okrand, author of The Klingon Dictionary and the guy who invented the Klingon language, the proper spelling is betleH.[/geek]

Latest Discussions