Major in MAs?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know plenty of colleges and universities offer MA classes as electives or PE requirements, but I kind of wish that some school out there offered a major in the martial arts...

"I double major in Martial Sciences and Muay Thai, with a minor in sports medicine."

I see plenty of advantages for the students... What do you think?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard of a couple of other programs similar to what Xue linked to. Personally, I think it's a big waste of time and tuition money. Not that studying MA full time wouldn;t be cool...but given the cost of education, what can you do with that degree?

I'd say one would be better served to study MA privately with good teachers and go to college and get a degree in phys ed with a minor in business/accounting or major in business with a minor in hys ed. You end up with a degree that'll help you land a job while you pull together the capital to start a school, then you've got the knowledge to run the school successfully.

Peace,
Erik

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think a degree in MA would offer no employment opportunities, would cost more than conventional MA training, & would add academic politics to the already messy politics that exist in the martial arts.

jf

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You'd be better off getting an undergraduate degree with a medical focus, like nursing. It would make you highly employable and give you a sound grounding in anatomy. Or a teaching degree with a focus in physical education.

If you want to make martial arts a career, you'd be better off with a business degree.

I see no advantage to the student in an instructor with a degree in "martial arts."

OP
N

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm... I get what everyone else is saying, but what about the myriad of existing majors that don't guarantee employment straight out of school?

The academic politics would muck things up in a lot of MA communities. Who's to say a person is conventionally certified in X-art is better/worse than a person who went to University for it? Yeah, that would blur a lot of lines...

I would think that a MA Major would also offer classes in business, cultural studies, etc that would prove very useful in the workforce... It's just the person with the MA degree is focusing on the arts, and/or a specific art in order to make his/her mark in the world.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You could always try Dr Yang's 10 year program, that even includes horse riding :D

That is if he is still taking students

Here is what Bridgeport is offering http://www.bridgeport.edu/include/pdf/international/Martial.Arts.FACT.SHEET.DR.pdf

To be honest if I were a kid just getting out of high school I might go to Bridgeport for this... but I would likely be trying double major with something else they have and or going on for a masters degree

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm... I get what everyone else is saying, but what about the myriad of existing majors that don't guarantee employment straight out of school?

The academic politics would muck things up in a lot of MA communities. Who's to say a person is conventionally certified in X-art is better/worse than a person who went to University for it? Yeah, that would blur a lot of lines...

I would think that a MA Major would also offer classes in business, cultural studies, etc that would prove very useful in the workforce... It's just the person with the MA degree is focusing on the arts, and/or a specific art in order to make his/her mark in the world.

based on the link xue posted, it looks like an east asian studies degree, where you take tae kwon do & tai chi every semester. that's fine, but why not just take east asian studies with a minor in business, & just do martial arts besides? that would have much more marketability & the same classes. most campuses have several active martial arts clubs that are very cheap to train at. KU has judo, bjj, tkd, wushu, capoeira, & aikido clubs, & we're just a bunch of hicks out in kansas.

but really i think my main issue is with universities getting involved in martial arts certification. every martial art regulates it's own certification process. i think it would just further add to the inconsistencies of value in rank.

jf

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just to let you know, there is a four year college here in Japan that specializes in such degree programs. It the International Budo University based in Chiba Prefecture. It offers bachelors degrees in not only the traditional Japanese budo systems, but also Physical ed./therapy degrees as well. The college also holds an annual seminar open to foriegners residing in Japan who study the martial arts.
I have yet to attend a seminar, but have been told by others that the teachers are all phenominal in their respective fields of study.
Of course, you are going to pay out the nose to attend (any) university in Japan. Also, you would have to be able to speak, read and write Japanese.

Latest Discussions