Magnificent Aussies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firstly I want to send thoughts and prayers to all those affected by the floods especially those who have lost loved ones.
We have been watching the news here both on television and the newpapers and the scale of the floods is horrendous but the Aussies, lord bless them, seem never to lose their cool or sense of humour at a time of national disaster. Acts of huge bravery are shrugged off such as the tug boat captain that stopped huge blocks of concrete crashing into bridges, he said it was just the job he does everyday.
One chap interviewed described how his house 'went for a cruise' down the river which invoked smiles from us while feeling sorry for him, yet I can't say it's pity we feel because they aren't asking for it instead I feel quite humbled by the people interviewed who look at the disaster, shrug and look to getting everything back to normal when the waters go down. We were saying at work we wanted to cheer for these people, they are amazing. Every story we've seen shows people helping each other. The community spirit puts many other countries to shame. These people are warriors!

Some guys had been stuck on a roof and talked about having to clear off brown snakes that were trying to join them, others have gone round in kayaks rescuing drowning kangeroos.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12117651

"Anna Bligh, the premier of Queensland, fought back tears as she described the events as "our darkest hour".
"The flood crisis has deepened seriously over the past several hours," she said.
"This weather may be breaking our hearts but it will not break our will."

If there's anything we can do to help, funds etc please let us know, we'd be proud to help, we have our fingers crossed that the waters go down quickly and the rebuilding can start. You've shown us how a people should behave in dark times. :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic, and a story that has been shamefully underreported in the U.S. My heart goes out to the Australian people, including the good folks here on MT, that are trying to rebuild.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice one Chris!
I know things are a big grim financially in a lot of places but to watch your house and livelihood be washed away must be heartbreaking. The sheer amount of water we've seen on the news reports is staggering.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. Some places got a fair bit of warning (up to a week or two), but some places were lucky to get more than 24 hours notice that they were in danger. I'm still waiting to hear from some family members near Brisbane as to how they faired.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Some places got a fair bit of warning (up to a week or two), but some places were lucky to get more than 24 hours notice that they were in danger. I'm still waiting to hear from some family members near Brisbane as to how they faired.

Fingers crossed for them.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, Irene. I know that all my family is (physically) fine, but there's no news yet on my cousins flat. When he went back to try to save things, he wasn't allowed into the street.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is this the sense of humour you're refering to Tez?

http://www.2dayfm.com.au/qld-floods...tatue-becomes-twitter-star/20110113-b36c.html

One of the oddest things is that there has been major rains and flash flooding all the way down the east coast here, from Queensland down to Tasmania. That's quite a range (of course Queensland and Northern New South Wales getting the worst).

Although the deaths were the result of the flash floods in Queensland and the flooding of Australia's third largest city deserves the attention it receives, Victoria has been badly flooded as well. Yesterday we flew over much of the flooded area in the North and Northwest of the state. The small town of Rochester is almost totally flooded and other towns have many houses sitting in water. To see the expanse of water from the air is amazing.

Still, to put things into perspective, apparently the area flooded in northern Australia is bigger than the size of Germany & France combined.

It is incredible to see the flooding in Brazil, Bangladesh and Australia all happening at the same time. Climate change is alive and well!