MA Flash Cards!?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I will have to look into this more but I was a bit shocked this morning in a local bookstore and I happened to come across what appeared to be flash cards for Muay Thai, Judo and Jujitsu applications. I was way to short of time this morning to do anything other than think “What the heck is this about”

Has anyone else come across these?

If to what the heck are they for?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Uh ... memorization??

I'd enjoy a short description/phrase for memory of some things... I'd not pay top dollar for it though...

Xue, let me know if you find more about it... I'd be interested in seeing it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I came across something like that awhile ago in Barnes and Noble. Really I did not give it much thought as I usually try and find high quality books that I do not have for my collection. The flash cards I saw were not that great.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually it was B&N and I just happened to see them next to the book that actually caught my eye.

Combat Techniques of Taiji, Xingyi, and Bagua: Principles and Practices of Internal Martial Arts (Paperback)
by Lu Shengli, Zhang Yun

I may be back there tomorrow, if so I will check them out and let you know.

Thanks

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd enjoy a short description/phrase for memory of some things... I'd not pay top dollar for it though...

I've seen them at Barnes and Noble for just $10. They were sealed, so I could not evaluate them. They had some for Karate also.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking as well. Ed Parker Jr. came out with these, so I can only assume that they may be something similar.

Mike

Yeah, that's what I thought the KenpoKards were for - ease and fun in study and memorization, and I know other students who've used 3x5 cards they've written up themselves. Works for some.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've glanced over a set of them. They just seemed like a different presentation of something like a kata poster. (I'm sure many of us recall the nunchucka kata poster... Is that thing still around?)

I wasn't impressed -- but I wasn't unimpressed either, if that makes sense. Just a different presentation of basic material. And no substitute for writing your own notes...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have some for memorizing tul diagrams, number of moves, and history - but not for the tuls themselves - more to help people learn the required knowledge.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Flash Cards? Why didn't I think of that?

I know. I did. I just forgot:) .

I like the idea since I'm memory challenged at times.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shadow boxing works better for me. Grabbing and throwing an immaginary opponent in the middle of my den helps me remember how to move hands, legs and the whole body...and helps me to appear an idiot in my wife's eyes (LOL kidding).

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i've done that with index cards when training for kenpo rank.

for those who don't know, kenpo is composed of named self defense techniques. tests often consist of somebody shouting those names (which are colorful and poetical and can be confusing) and you doing the appropriate sequence of moves.

so kenpo flash cards rock.