Looking into the future

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With the new year around the corner what are you looking forin your TKD training?

If you own a school what do you plan on doing different this year?

If you are a competitor whatis it you are trying to accomplish this year?

I am just curious if anybody makes a list for what they truely want from there training and such and then compare it after the year is done, for me the only thing I did not do this past year was loose the wieght and add fifty students. So this will be back on the table for this years.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to win gold at USAT Nationals in San Jose. That includes the smaller goals of staying healthy and improving my agility and timing (compensating for less speed with age).

I want to become better technically than all of our junior black belts. I may test for black belt later next year, but being really tight technically is what I want. It would help both my competing and my assisting others.

I want to pay attention to, challenge, and encourage our youngest students. If I can help get the 5-8 year old white-green belts solidly hooked on growing through taekwondo, I'll get to watch them become the kind of people I like to be around.

Carl

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not much.

1st, Have both kids compete and win at the U.S. Open. This is the only major tourney that they have not won. Son has placed 3rd once and 2nd once. Daughter has placed 3rd once.

2nd, Have both kids compete and win Jr. Olympics again in SJ this year.

3rd, For me to compete and win Sr. Nationals (Ultra) this year in SJ. Not looking forward to the training at all.

4th, Hopefully test for my 3rd DAN. Should be coming up next year sometime. Not looking forward to the training for that either.

2011 is looking like a painful year.:erg:

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1 - To grow the size of the class to the point I can start getting the things I need out of the Y to better train the students (my old time slots back, better equipment)

2 - To drop about 50lbs and get in much better shape

3 - To get my 3rd Dan. If I can get #2 then this should be easy.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Get my TKD first Dan.

2. Compete and win at Provincials.

3. Step back from TKD as a whole and develop my MMA, specifically my ground work.

4. Maybe if it happens, I'll take over the school. Unsure yet and I'm reluctant, but I'd rather take it on than watch it die again.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
4. Maybe if it happens, I'll take over the school. Unsure yet and I'm reluctant, but I'd rather take it on than watch it die again.

I ended up in that spot and took over the school. I'm a better person because of it. Embrace it, because teaching and passing on the knowledge of the art you love is one of the greatest feelings ever.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I ended up in that spot and took over the school. I'm a better person because of it. Embrace it, because teaching and passing on the knowledge of the art you love is one of the greatest feelings ever.

The thing is, being an engineering student doesn't allow me to spend the time I should keeping up on TKD. I'd hate to offer sub-par instruction, I'd rather see it die again if I felt I'd hold my students back.

The other thing, of course, is that as a 1st guep I'm just scratching the surface of TKD. Plus, I'm the first to admit that my interest leans more towards things like MMA these days and my practice and sparring shows it. I'm not the type to throw high spinning kicks in sparring and that's almost a given in modern WTF competition. Again, not a bad thing, but I grew up in a different TaeKwonDo and I still practice the old way.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who said you have to teach modern WTF competition TKD? I don't teach that way. But yeah, I can see that being an issue with the time limitations. Good luck figuring out the right thing to do.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who said you have to teach modern WTF competition TKD? I don't teach that way. But yeah, I can see that being an issue with the time limitations. Good luck figuring out the right thing to do.

My school is part of a system under a man I have a great deal of respect for; it would be either teach under him or break away and form a different school, which I'd rather not do.

Thanks

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My school is part of a system under a man I have a great deal of respect for; it would be either teach under him or break away and form a different school, which I'd rather not do.

Thanks

Can I ask the name of your school and instructor?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask the name of your school and instructor?

Sure, the main school is Newfoundland and Labrador TaeKwonDo Academy, the president is Master Nippard and he's based in St. John's. My particular school is Gander TaeKwonDo, under SangSueng Lee. (Spelling could be wrong.) Any reason?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions