Looking for some advice

Tangellione

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently training savate and with summer coming up and all, I figured I'd try something new.

Now here's the question: what?!
I'm not in to "ground fighting" all that much although I trained ninjitsu for a while (A few lessons really) and it was okay but I'm looking for something slightly different. Also meditation seems like something I could be interested in since savate is a really active sport.

I had an idea a few months back to train together with my friends and combine 4 styles: Savate, ninjitsu, kick boxing and judo. We haven't tried yet, finding a location to do so isn't as easy as it looks but could this be a good idea?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them :)

Thanks.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you like weapons, hands, kick this always plays a role in waht I would like to add. My wife wanted to learn the sticks she just loves them and that would even transfer into knifes and empty hands. So it all depends on what you want in life.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The idea you have is similar to what i do myself.

Personally i train in Phillipino Combative (weapons based) - MMA (empty hand) - BJJ (ground work).

My thoughts were simple - i want to be an effective fighter no matter the circumstances (i'm armed or he's armed, or no ones armed, or i end up on the ground...etc etc). My thinking was that the best way to do this is to expand my training.

Fortunately my school offers all three styles - so it's well integrated.

And that would be my advice - learn the stuff. Drill the stuff till it's second nature. But then make sure you integrate it - so that it becomes one massive style for you not 3 or 4 styles you have "tacked" together.

Best of luck.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
When you say combined 4 styles, are those 4 styles that you all know already between you all or would like to learn. Some information seems missing as to whether you have the necessary training or time in each of these other styles/systems to train or combine them and make it effective. Advice is only as good as the information that is being sought.

I'm interested where you are learning Savate, that always seemed like a very interesting system/style, where and who do you train with if you don't mind me asking? Being serious here with my question.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are looking for something different try tai chi. You may be able to learn how to meditate while moving

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I also agree, Tai Chi or even Yoga would be a good recommendation.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may not like groundwork, but...that's as good a sign as any that adding some could be beneficial.

OP
T

Tangellione

White Belt
Reaction score
When you say combined 4 styles, are those 4 styles that you all know already between you all or would like to learn. Some information seems missing as to whether you have the necessary training or time in each of these other styles/systems to train or combine them and make it effective. Advice is only as good as the information that is being sought.

I'm interested where you are learning Savate, that always seemed like a very interesting system/style, where and who do you train with if you don't mind me asking? Being serious here with my question.

All I know is savate but I have enough time to train other things so that wouldn't really be a problem. One can always make time. I'd just train with my friends and learn what they've learned, out of interest. If I can combine all those styles, I don't know for sure, but I won't know that until I try.
I've had some difficulties training ninjitsu because I used my hands like a boxer, while in ninjitsu they tend to throw punshes differently. It wasn't really a big problem to overcome though.

I'm Belgian, so I train in Belgium. And right now mostly with new members, there are a few great fighters and also Belgian champions who come around once in a while. At that club I'm an assistant trainer (which really just means I help other people) so I am more than capable of teaching my friends.

@ TheOriginalName: My Idea is quite similar to yours indeed although I'm not a fan of using weapons in a fight, I would however like to know how to defend myself against someone using a knife or something. So I suppose it might be a good idea to a weapons based martial art.

I will look in to this Tai chi stuff, I've always admired how those guys move.
Arnisador, I think you have a good point there, thanks!

So I guess what I'm looking for is a sport that combines groundwork, Tai chi and a weapons based sport. Is there such a thing? (Just guessing here)
If there's not, what do you guys think would be a good thing to start with - given the fact that I will continu my savate?

Thank all of you for your help :)

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
All I know is savate but I have enough time to train other things so that wouldn't really be a problem. One can always make time. I'd just train with my friends and learn what they've learned, out of interest. If I can combine all those styles, I don't know for sure, but I won't know that until I try.
I've had some difficulties training ninjitsu because I used my hands like a boxer, while in ninjitsu they tend to throw punshes differently. It wasn't really a big problem to overcome though.

I'm Belgian, so I train in Belgium. And right now mostly with new members, there are a few great fighters and also Belgian champions who come around once in a while. At that club I'm an assistant trainer (which really just means I help other people) so I am more than capable of teaching my friends.

@ TheOriginalName: My Idea is quite similar to yours indeed although I'm not a fan of using weapons in a fight, I would however like to know how to defend myself against someone using a knife or something. So I suppose it might be a good idea to a weapons based martial art.

I will look in to this Tai chi stuff, I've always admired how those guys move.
Arnisador, I think you have a good point there, thanks!

So I guess what I'm looking for is a sport that combines groundwork, Tai chi and a weapons based sport. Is there such a thing? (Just guessing here)
If there's not, what do you guys think would be a good thing to start with - given the fact that I will continu my savate?

Thank all of you for your help :)

Sounds like you have the ground work portion done (training and such) qualifications and it sounds like you all have a good place there with alot of experience/knowledge to gain from stopping in and out. Hope everything works out for you.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tangellione,

Judo? It's not BJJ, but it can be very enlighting. Adds well with any striking art.

Deaf

Latest Discussions