looking for books

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for good books on training for point fighting, especially one with good explanations on footwork. Honestly any book on competitive martial arts with info on footwork.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You're not going to be able to learn much from books the only way is to actually train with an instructor on these things

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
shotokan karate - kumite by joachim grupp helped me back when i was karateka and wanted to compete in their point fighting style. but i dunno if its available in other languages than german.
when i remember right, also taekwondo kyorugi - olympic style sparring by sang h. kim was about footwork and overall useful training methods for point fighting.
and yes, learning just from books won't work very well. videos do better. and best is, of course, to train with an experienced instructor.

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for good books on training for point fighting, especially one with good explanations on footwork. Honestly any book on competitive martial arts with info on footwork.
you gotta go to a gym man especially with martial arts if you learn well from a book that's fine too but actually watching in person and doing it are sooo much better

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
you gotta go to a gym man especially with martial arts if you learn well from a book that's fine too but actually watching in person and doing it are sooo much better
One can learn alot from books. Though they are thought old fashioned in this age, Many people, like myself, can often gain a clearer understanding with written word and simple diagrams. I have no time to check out a competition school. A book is a great compilation of boiled down i formation.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One can learn alot from books. Though they are thought old fashioned in this age, Many people, like myself, can often gain a clearer understanding with written word and simple diagrams. I have no time to check out a competition school. A book is a great compilation of boiled down i formation.
Yes but you'll never get as good as someone who trains at a school you may learn it but you'll fall into bad habits and no one will be able to correct you

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes but you'll never get as good as someone who trains at a school you may learn it but you'll fall into bad habits and no one will be able to correct you

He has an instructor, he is looking for a book for development on a specific topic, in this case point fighting.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He has an instructor, he is looking for a book for development on a specific topic, in this case point fighting.

"I have no time to check out a competition school."

I don't know how to get past that statement. Would you want to have your teeth fixed by someone who didn't have time to check out a dental school, so they read some books on the subject?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I don't know how to get past that statement. Would you want to have your teeth fixed by someone who didn't have time to check out a dental school, so they read some books on the subject?

Some schools spend lots of time preparing for point sparring, some do not. If you are at one that does not and wants to get some ideas on how to do it you can get information from those that do. Books are one way, videos are another. I certainly know I put to good use at least one combo from Dan Anderson's book when I was competing in point tournaments.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some schools spend lots of time preparing for point sparring, some do not. If you are at one that does not and wants to get some ideas on how to do it you can get information from those that do. Books are one way, videos are another. I certainly know I put to good use at least one combo from Dan Anderson's book when I was competing in point tournaments.
my school utilizes sparring fairly seldom ( on e a month). Our sparring is used to train in self-defense / combat.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Books are great, but you can't learn martial arts from books.
True for a non-martial artist. For an experienced individual, these things can be understood with general knowledge the same way a mason could read a book on framing in a house and then go build his house.

I work sixtyhours a week, train three nights a week, and run two church programs. I have no time to visit for an extended time or enroll in another school.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True for a non-martial artist. For an experienced individual, these things can be understood with general knowledge the same way a mason could read a book on framing in a house and then go build his house.
I work sixtyhours a week, train three nights a week, and run two church programs. I have no time to visit for an extended time or enroll in another school.
But you have time to compete. OK.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
when i remember right, also taekwondo kyorugi - olympic style sparring by sang h. kim was about footwork and overall useful training methods for point fighting.

Yeah, I have this one, and I think it's pretty decent, and like you say it has a lot of general information about sports training and such. Also, I know the OP asked specifically about books, but for home study, there's a DVD set that I'd recommend called The Science of Taekwondo Fighting.

While both of these resources are geared towards Olympic-style TKD sparring rather than karate point sparring, I think either will provide a lot of drills to practice and concepts to think about that could really help.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my school utilizes sparring fairly seldom ( on e a month).

Honestly, I think this is your biggest hurdle. A good book or video series can give you solo and partnered drills to do that will help you improve your footwork, distancing, speed, etc, so you can get better at sparring, but you need to actually do them. You need to together with a partner on a regular basis and practice the stuff that you read in the book to build muscle memory, or your reading is just theoretical knowledge.