Looking for a suitable school near me (Massachusetts)

mni11782

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, recently moved to Medford Massachusetts, and looking into getting back into my martial arts training. I studied for a good number of years before entering college (8 or so) under a Mizongji/Xingyi hybrid curriculum in China and was wondering if there were any schools that could help me further my training. It's a little difficult for me to get into the city at the moment so I would prefer schools outside of the metropolitan area, but will definitely be willing to go in if it means better quality training. Are there any Mizong or Xingyi instructors in the area? If not, can someone point me in the direction of other good schools that are Mizong/Xingyi adjacent. Thanks!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xingyiquan teachers I would recommend in Massachusetts.

Marcus Opalenik teaches Xingyiquan in different places around Massachusetts, between Boston and western Mass.,

Another Xingyiquan teacher, although he may no longer be teaching is Tai Ngo, my teacher that use to be in Boston was one of his students. I believe he is in Andover, but may only do acupuncture these days

Also Zhou Xuan Yun (Taoist Gate), but he may now only teach in New Hampshire. But I believe he has a senior student teaching in Boston, Henry Lee, but I do not know if he teaches Xingyiquan

OP
M

mni11782

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check all of them out. Zhou Xuanyun is a familiar sounding name. Not sure where I've heard of him before. Any suggestions for Mizong? I do hope to be able to train a waijia style along with neijia, since that was how my original curriculum operated (Xingyi alongside Mizong).

OP
M

mni11782

White Belt
Reaction score
Ah gotcha, seems pretty hard to find Mizong in the states from what I've seen. Any other external schools in the area you'd recommend?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
its been a long time since I looked at external in Massachusetts. Use to be a great Wing Chun School there, but I know for a fact it is gone. The only external school I have any experience with is YMAA in Roslindale and I never trained any external there (I trained Chen Taijiquan there). But I do believe they teach Shaolin as it comes from Yang Jwing Ming. You'd have to check it out for yourself, I can't recommend it because I don't know much about it these days. There also use to be a Sanda/Sanshou school somewhere on the outskirts of Boston, but I cannot remember where exactly. Never trained there either, I just know it exists

OP
M

mni11782

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I was recommended the YMAA schools by a colleague of mine. I'm a little confused about the style they teach though. Is it Fujian crane or a different crane?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah I was recommended the YMAA schools by a colleague of mine. I'm a little confused about the style they teach though. Is it Fujian crane or a different crane?
For an external art you might check out the Ving Tsun taught at this school: WUXIA MARTIAL ARTS CENTER

It's a good 40-45 minutes north of Medford on the 95, but I can vouch for the instructor. He's good. Also does other TCMA as well as Arnis and BJJ.

Latest Discussions