lok sau

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i have just started lok sau in my training and have been lucky to have a private lesson solely focused on the techniques.
i also see my son every sunday as well s the nites he trains with me so we can practise then.
are there any techniques i can practise on whilst i am training home alone.......sad but true.
or just concentrate on each individual technique singularly?

ideas?- any help appreciated?

matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matsu,

I would take your time with lok sao.
It is an important drill to practise and practise well

I would just keep practising changing guard, chain punching, stamp kicks etc at home and keep lok sao for class

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Matsu,

I would take your time with lok sao.
It is an important drill to practise and practise well

I would just keep practising changing guard, chain punching, stamp kicks etc at home and keep lok sao for class

I completely agree. Luk-Sao( as we spell it but we all know what we are talking about. Welcome to the world of Wing Chun!:wink2:) is the platform that brings the art to life. From a romantic perspective the Low Fook/High Fook hand is the Crane and the Tan/Bong hand is the Snake.
From a practical perspective...it teaches proper structure, range and builds a platform for sensitivity. So its very important to get this right. My T'ai Ch'i Ch'uan Sifu used to say, 'You'll get there faster by going slower'.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
kamon.....are you my reincarnated conscience? lol i knew you above the others were gonna tell me keep it slow :surfer:

but thank you for doing so. i practise as much as can in all the very basics.

graychuan.. thank youfor the "romantic" help- i will remember those more than any other explanation.

many thanks
matsu

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can practice sil lum tao form, pivoting from side to side making sure to pivot through the center of your feet, punching make sure each punch is in the same spot.
practice moving in your stance in any direction staying locked in ,sunk down and back straight.
Pick out movements of sil lum tao and do them over and over again in a correct and relaxed manner.
Stand in front of a mirror with your guard up and throw single punches check to see that you dont telegraph start off slow and then work up to fast ensure there is no pre movement, only forward motion no drawing back before you punch dont telegraph with your face either keep a relaxed poker face. Thats all i can think of at the moment.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can practice sil lum tao form, pivoting from side to side making sure to pivot through the center of your feet, punching make sure each punch is in the same spot. ...practice moving in your stance in any direction staying locked in ,sunk down and back straight.

I assume you mean, "sil lum tao" form, and pivoting from side to side (as a a separate activity). If so, I'd agree.

Interestingly, you advise "pivoting through the center of your feet". Many branches of WC teach pivoting weighting the heels. Others insist on weighting forward, on the balls of the feet. Some insist on moving both feet simultaneously, others start by turning one foot, then the second in sequence to maintain "rootedness", even in turning. In my branch, like yours, we also favor the center of the foot. My pesonal advice, though, is to do the best you can with what your sifu teaches. If you develop a strong, balanced structure, it will work, regardless.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yep.....the more i learn the more i find out there is more to learn....

thanks again for the input.... matsu

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah i meant pivoting separately, it teaches you to find the center of your body, we were taught to pivot through the center of the feet because if you pivot on the heels you have no resistance and can be pushed back and if you pivot on your balls of the feet you can be pulled forward.
In the center is where you have the most resistance. But i know other branches do it differently.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We also pivot through the centre of the feet. Pivoting on the balls or toes of the feet is unstable and designed for quick movement

In a real street fight this is very high risk
My boxer friends have had the same problem where they use their toes and were taken to the floor almost immediately

Matsu - I wasn't telling you to go slow for traditions sake. Lok sao builds muscle memory and needs time to sink in

Unlike some other arts, training as much as you can in a short space of time won't make a dramatic difference to your WC
It is doing these drills over a long space of time

ie a person who practises chi sao twice a week for 15 years will be much better than someone who does it five times a week for 3 years

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
kamon- i realised that:supcool:. you seem to be the reply i am already hearing in my head!
and i,m beginning to really see how complex WC is.......DAMMIT!

but loving it..
thanks again matey... and chime in anytime your comments always valid

matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matsu - WC gets easier.
When I started, I struggled big time
But after 8 years of training, while I am still learning, it has become easier to understand new techniques and principles

I cannot speak for any other federations, but I know that Kamon students are usually a very good standard after two years. Some are great after just a year

My advice to you Matsu is to enjoy the training. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get things straight away

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Matsu - WC gets easier.

My advice to you Matsu is to enjoy the training. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get things straight away

Oh yes, it does get easier :D

I agree with most everything you say except this:
ie a person who practises chi sao twice a week for 15 years will be much better than someone who does it five times a week for 3 years

This is basically stating that if you just do it for a large amount of time, you'll become good. Which I think isn't a true statement on a few levels because the person that is doing it five times a week is showing that he/she has more of a desire and commitment to learn. This type of student usually tends to pick up the concept of relaxing the muscles faster because many more punches are thrown with less amount time in between repetitions.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My example was a bit of a generalisation, and I apologize for that. I have trained every day non stop for a long time in wing chun. Yet there are senior guys who I barely see at class who can still outdo me in chi sao or in feeding techniques

Yet if you force the training (ie if you start as a beginner and go to class five times a week) you will overcomplicate yourself, burn yourself out and won't really have time to analyze what you are actually doing

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks guys- i have a tendency to do that but as life is at the mo,it slows me down anyway.
i train in class mon and thurs and i practise properly iehter wallbag/master james dvd and on my own weds/sat and i get my son who attends monday classes to lok sau with me sundays.
but i find i am constantly working on something that a class brought to my attention as a weak area.
last nite was rapid retreat chain punching with circle step.... OMG my feet wont work!!

tahnks again for the support and advice. this all helps lots!

matsu

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look-sau or poon-sau is vastly over'looked' by most wing chun people. Most just want to race ahead and go onto main chisau exchange.

In the begining, look-sau teaches you wing chun's 'bread & butter' 'shapes'. During the reciprocal exchange, your fook is checking the bong, and the tan is checking the fook. The idea being to teach you how to flow from one 'shape' to the next....

On a higher level, look-sau allows you to learn to absorb & displace your opponent's energy, not just using the hands, but using your structure and 'ma'.

If you meet a very good wing chun practitioner, you will see that they can beat you using 'just' the four bread and butter shapes: tan, bong, fook, wu.

If you are practising by yourself, focus on the right positions of your 'shapes' and the direction of your intended energy.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chisauking,

First off, I presume that you are not suggesting Poon sao and lok sao are the same thing. Your statement 'look sao or poon sao' seems to read that the drills are the same

Also, 'beating' a person in lok sao is a bad phrase to use
Look sao (lok sao) is a static drill, meaning that at basic level you are not looking to hit your opponent. You are merely developing shapes

Too many people think that chi sao is a fight or a realistic tool. It is not. It is building stick and sensitivity and the ability to mould round shapes. It does not matter to me that much if someone gets a hit through my shapes - in a fight, that will often happen. It is what you do about it afterwards

I expect like many, you hit a person in chi sao and think that is the end and 'reset' your shapes (ie start again) as opposed to carrying on

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kamon guy sez:

First off, I presume that you are not suggesting Poon sao and lok sao are the same thing. Your statement 'look sao or poon sao' seems to read that the drills are the same

csk: Perhaps you care to tell us the fundamental differences?

Look sao (lok sao) is a static drill, meaning that at basic level you are not looking to hit your opponent. You are merely developing shapes

csk: When I say 'beat' I mean to nullify the opponent's moves, to control his intentions. You don't need to hit anyone in order to control them.

Too many people think that chi sao is a fight or a realistic tool. It is not. It is building stick and sensitivity and the ability to mould round shapes. It does not matter to me that much if someone gets a hit through my shapes - in a fight, that will often happen. It is what you do about it afterwards

csk: If chisau isn't a realistic tool -- in the sense, you won't be using it -- then why train it at all? Are you saying bong, tan, fook, wu aren't realistic? You can't use those 'shapes' in combat?

I expect like many, you hit a person in chi sao and think that is the end and 'reset' your shapes (ie start again) as opposed to carrying on

csk: Your expectation is presumptous. Besides, this topic is about look-sau, not 'gwoh-sau'

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
;)csk- you seem to be taken a different view point as a personal attck there mate..... chill!!!

matsu

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score

csk: When I say 'beat' I mean to nullify the opponent's moves, to control his intentions. You don't need to hit anyone in order to control them.

That's right. The reason for all the sensitivity training is to allow you the ability to anticipate the opponents moves and control them. It makes us appear to be faster when in fact all we're doing is jumping the gun on the next move while the other person is in a more reactive state.

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would like to say that look-sau can't be a static drill because one has to move in order to roll. However, if you mean that we should practice look-sau in a 'stationary' position, then I feel this is very 'low level' thinking. Fighting is 'dynamic'. Even when we are standing, we are constantly adjusting, so why would our training be 'static'?

Without movement, we are losing the opportunity to adjust our footwork, our ability to shong-ma, tui-ma, juen-ma, etc., etc.

What a waste of opportunity.

But...each to their own.

Or, perhaps you could try practising look-sau with motion\footwork, and let me know how you get on. Your hands are so much more powerful with the body 'behind' it.