Lobsters and long life

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

I would have savored every bit of that lobster, validating his 200 years. He probably got eaten by some beluga whale or something as soon as he went back into the ocean.

If humans lived that long... there would be a lot of humans running around at any given time. But then again, it would force us to colonize Mars to solve our overpopulation problems.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

I would have savored every bit of that lobster, validating his 200 years. He probably got eaten by some beluga whale or something as soon as he went back into the ocean.

If humans lived that long... there would be a lot of humans running around at any given time. But then again, it would force us to colonize Mars to solve our overpopulation problems.
Aye George probably would've been mighty tasty indeed.
I'm shaking my head that PETA won out on this release back to the wild. Sitting in a tank all those years, not a whole helluva lot of exercise, just a dumb crustacean, that'll sink to the bottom... find a hole and just sit there again like it did in the tank, coming out to feed and going back into it's hole again. :rolleyes: Oh yeah big improvement.

We USED to live that long. When the earth was cleaner and the pace of life was slower, the food/diets healthier and our wars fewer... or at least more localized.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, if I was the restaurant owner, I'd give the PETA spokesperson a gift certificate to the restaurant as a sign of thanks for the free advertising.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's my understanding that old large lobsters don't taste as good. I used to deliver lobsters to restaurants around Michigan. I got to deliver special huge lobster to a store near Grand Rapids. The store was having a guess the lobster's weight contest with the winner getting the lobster. The lobster barely fit in a large Coleman cooler. I had to be careful in handling it so that the huge claws didn't break off. I forgot how much it weighed, now I'm curious as to how old that bugger was.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw this story! Wonder how long he'll last in the wild...what eats lobsters?

From good ole' Wiki :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lobster
The adult American lobster's main natural predator is the codfish, but other enemies include haddock, flounder, and other lobsters. Overfishing of cod in the early 20th century has allowed the lobster population to grow enormously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_spiny_lobster
Predators of the California spiny lobster include giant sea bass, kelp bass, California sheephead, California scorpionfish, rockfishes, octopus, California moray eels, sea otters, cabezon, horn sharks, leopard sharks, other lobsters, and humans.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So there was no environmental/overfishing reason for that lobster to be left to die in the wild? Right now, George could be on some silly codfish's menu, where he should be on mine, stir-fried with some ginger, soy, and garlic. Served with a bowl of rice... mmmm....

PETA: Ruining the world's palate one hoax at a time.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We USED to live that long. When the earth was cleaner and the pace of life was slower, the food/diets healthier and our wars fewer... or at least more localized.

Excuse me? How long was the average life expectency in pre-industrial times??? (That's humans, not lobsters)

OP
J

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Excuse me? How long was the average life expectency in pre-industrial times???

Not very long was the average life expectency in pre industrial times.

We have plenty of longevity stories but no proof of this by modern standards.

With the break thrus in medicine and the mixture of alternative medicine with modern medicine it is my opnion we are at a better chance of increasing our maxium life expectency. From the 1900's to 1997 life expectency on average went up about 20yrs.

Woman from 1930-1950 went up 10yrs

Men do not seem to make such a jump

http://www.efmoody.com/estate/lifeexpectancy.html

DarkOverSoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with the guy above me, hasn't the life expectancy gone up in some places?

Errr...mods delete this... XD forget it...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that old large lobsters don't taste as good. I used to deliver lobsters to restaurants around Michigan. I got to deliver special huge lobster to a store near Grand Rapids. The store was having a guess the lobster's weight contest with the winner getting the lobster. The lobster barely fit in a large Coleman cooler. I had to be careful in handling it so that the huge claws didn't break off. I forgot how much it weighed, now I'm curious as to how old that bugger was.

I found this not to be true; about twenty years ago a friend purchased some larger, older lobsters than "George" there-they also made the news, and I got to have some. It was pretty scrumptious, and I eat a lot of lobster whenever I get the chance.....

...I think their application of the rule of thumb was off as well-I bet "George" is only about 80 years old, based on a 20 lb. weight.....

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lag on my end caused a double post.

Last edited:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found this not to be true; about twenty years ago a friend purchased some larger, older lobsters than "George" there-they also made the news, and I got to have some. It was pretty scrumptious, and I eat a lot of lobster whenever I get the chance.....

...I think their application of the rule of thumb was off as well-I bet "George" is only about 80 years old, based on a 20 lb. weight.....

Your personal experience bests my grapevine hearsay. ;)

I forwarded the link to the daughter of the owner of the lobster delivery company for which I worked and she replied that the lobster I delivered was 22 pounds. I didn't realize it, but she used the lobster as part of a school project (science fair?) back in 8th grade, so she remembered it. She is still upset about 3rd place. LOL!

Latest Discussions