Lo Kwai pole

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After that great discussion on @yak sao 's thread about the 12 section knife...figured we could discuss the Lo Kwai pole form / pole methods with our resident Lo Kwai family rep @hunschuld ;)

What say you Hunter? Can you tell us a little about the Kwai family pole? Is it a really long form like that Tang Yik one? Or is is short and sweet like some of the pole forms in the Yip Man clan? Does it (or the knife forms you mentioned) contain any 360 degree turns of the body during the form? Does your pole form have gwai ma aka kneeling horse?
The above questions are just to get a conversation going...others feel free to jump in.

Thanks @hunschuld Hunter!

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pole is on shorter side. A bit more than YIP Man Pole form but not much more.A little more foot work a few other moves. Does have kneeling horse. Level changing is important .Kneeling horse used 3 times. Knife form is the longest form. Dummy has 8 sections more than Yip dummy. so that is the second longest form Knife form has 12 sections and each section has 3 parts.

No 360 movements but there is a rear attack/defense movement in the pole

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pole is on shorter side. A bit more than YIP Man Pole form but not much more.A little more foot work a few other moves. Does have kneeling horse. Level changing is important .Kneeling horse used 3 times. Knife form is the longest form. Dummy has 8 sections more than Yip dummy. so that is the second longest form Knife form has 12 sections and each section has 3 parts.

No 360 movements but there is a rear attack/defense movement in the pole

Thanks Hunter.

In addition to kneeling horse, does it also contain a low horse (i.e. upper leg/thigh area is practically level to the ground in that horse's lowest point?) I'd assume it does, since that horse seems fairly common across lineages.

Dummy has 8 sections more than Yip dummy? To be honest, I'm not sure how many sections Yip's dummy form has since there are so many variations...haha.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Hunter.

In addition to kneeling horse, does it also contain a low horse (i.e. upper leg/thigh area is practically level to the ground in that horse's lowest point?) I'd assume it does, since that horse seems fairly common across lineages.

Dummy has 8 sections more than Yip dummy? To be honest, I'm not sure how many sections Yip's dummy form has since there are so many variations...haha.

Ip Man dunmy forms average between 7 and 10 sections so I guess Lo Kwai would be between 15 and 18?

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ip Man dunmy forms average between 7 and 10 sections so I guess Lo Kwai would be between 15 and 18?
good point,s counting sections has always been a bit confusing for me. I count his section be the double tok sau section finish. So based on his video or the Yip Chun form there are 8 or 8 if you do Po Pie go left one section go right the next. Other students have some different section I just look at this form as a good general form.. So if you go with these 9 section,I do 2 Po pie sections you would have 8 additional sections that correspond to third form, sword form and one movement that is from pole form.. Also the way I was taught was things were added to my Yip Man wing chun. Chao Sifu was into efficiency so keeping my Yip Man base and adding to it was the fastest way to teach.

Low horse/kneeling horse appear in 3rd form, dummy form and both weapons.

Latest Discussions