Living vicariously and other random thoughts

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, I joined the Marine Corps, shipped to boot camp, became a Marine, was assigned as an MP, saw the world, kicked butt, etc, etc. Then I got out and went on about the business of living, since I had managed to avoid dying.

About 12 or so years ago, a kid shows up in the dojo where I was training, good attitude, good native skills, and he started learning Isshinryu. I helped teach him, especially as an underbelt. Eventually he grew to adulthood and ended up 6' 3", packed with muscle, and faster than I could keep up with. It had been impossible for me to spar with him and win without pressing my weight advantage and some dirty tricks, which I did not hesitate to use. But his skills were immense. Our higher-ranked sensei could still whup up on him, no problem, but he was without a doubt talented and tough. He eventually earned his shodan certificate, and our sensei really made him work for it, too.

So a few years more go by and he decides to enlist in the Marine Corps. He ships to boot camp in Parris Island. Graduates as Honorman for his platoon, meritorious promotion to PFC. He's currently at Camp Devildog in North Carolina, going through AIT or whatever they call it now. Then he ships to his MOS school, where he's going to be ... an MP.

Nowadays, they've got their cell phones and so on, so while his company is taking a break from training, he sends me a video of some friendly sparring action between himself and another Marine. It's short and sweet. He throws a nice side kick and his opponent jumps back. They set up again and this time, he takes a giant step, turns, and executes a beautiful yoshiro geri (back kick), leaving his boot imprint upside down on the center of the dude's chest. I am NOT JOKING when I say his opponent flew backwards like one of those fake martial arts videos a good 10 feet! Insane shot!

I wish I could share the video, but it's not mine and I can't invade his privacy like that. BUT OMG!

A couple of blurry clips.

back kick.png

back kick result.png

I have to tell you, I could not be more proud of this young man. I have seen him develop from a young kid in our dojo to a fine example of a US Marine who can more than handle himself with his hands and feet. I didn't teach him all his skills, but I had a hand in it, and I'm proud of that.

Anyway, he's sending me these videos, and the photos of his training, and I gotta tell ya, at 60 years old, I want to shave my beard and go reenlist. I miss those days so much!

Sorry for the random thoughts. Just wanted to share.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, I joined the Marine Corps, shipped to boot camp, became a Marine, was assigned as an MP, saw the world, kicked butt, etc, etc. Then I got out and went on about the business of living, since I had managed to avoid dying.

About 12 or so years ago, a kid shows up in the dojo where I was training, good attitude, good native skills, and he started learning Isshinryu. I helped teach him, especially as an underbelt. Eventually he grew to adulthood and ended up 6' 3", packed with muscle, and faster than I could keep up with. It had been impossible for me to spar with him and win without pressing my weight advantage and some dirty tricks, which I did not hesitate to use. But his skills were immense. Our higher-ranked sensei could still whup up on him, no problem, but he was without a doubt talented and tough. He eventually earned his shodan certificate, and our sensei really made him work for it, too.

So a few years more go by and he decides to enlist in the Marine Corps. He ships to boot camp in Parris Island. Graduates as Honorman for his platoon, meritorious promotion to PFC. He's currently at Camp Devildog in North Carolina, going through AIT or whatever they call it now. Then he ships to his MOS school, where he's going to be ... an MP.

Nowadays, they've got their cell phones and so on, so while his company is taking a break from training, he sends me a video of some friendly sparring action between himself and another Marine. It's short and sweet. He throws a nice side kick and his opponent jumps back. They set up again and this time, he takes a giant step, turns, and executes a beautiful yoshiro geri (back kick), leaving his boot imprint upside down on the center of the dude's chest. I am NOT JOKING when I say his opponent flew backwards like one of those fake martial arts videos a good 10 feet! Insane shot!

I wish I could share the video, but it's not mine and I can't invade his privacy like that. BUT OMG!

A couple of blurry clips.

View attachment 26939

View attachment 26940

I have to tell you, I could not be more proud of this young man. I have seen him develop from a young kid in our dojo to a fine example of a US Marine who can more than handle himself with his hands and feet. I didn't teach him all his skills, but I had a hand in it, and I'm proud of that.

Anyway, he's sending me these videos, and the photos of his training, and I gotta tell ya, at 60 years old, I want to shave my beard and go reenlist. I miss those days so much!

Sorry for the random thoughts. Just wanted to share.
I wish every newbie in Martial Arts has the love for the arts going forward as this young man seems to have. And how obviously you had, still do have, and always will have. Keep rocking, Bill.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish every newbie in Martial Arts has the love for the arts going forward as this young man seems to have. And how obviously you had, still do have, and always will have. Keep rocking, Bill.
I just realized that I still have this on my fridge. He gave it to me to say thank you when I gave him a bo so he could practice at home. He was maybe 12 or so?
thank you note.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just realized that I still have this on my fridge. He gave it to me to say thank you when I gave him a bo so he could practice at home. He was maybe 12 or so?View attachment 26941
That's pretty awesome, Bill. And with a drawing to boot I have a few of those myself, kept every one of them. Never got a drawing, though.

And even though the majority of students might not reach out like that I think it's a good idea for all of us here to keep in mind how much we affect those we teach. Not just physically, either.

I have one letter that I got twenty years after last seeing an old student. It was about him teaching his children about things he learned at the dojo. And they weren't physical things. Made me smile at the time. When I stumble upon now looking for something else, it makes my eyes water.

Every one of you that teaches, you change lives.

This concludes the Kumbaya portion of the program today. :)

Latest Discussions