Little blighters

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I'm sparring (tkd) I'm always against someone smaller than me so It's always realy hard to get some real practise in because they'r always beating away at my ankles and i's no challange. Any ideas on how I can imrove my sparring without actually sparring? Thanks!:whip:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee, thanks for the tip, beating at their ankles...:D Well, since you are taller than they are, you have the natural advantage, your legs. Strengthen your sidekick muscles by doing alot of sidekicks 100 each leg (min) Just do a liftup sidekick, lifting the front leg when you are in stance and if you practiced it, it will get faster so that you can stop any forward movement with it. That's the way I keep the white belts away from me...and for that matter most of them.

PS Just realized these could be kids - blighters? Then do the sidekick gently and you won't need as much speed...but hey they need to be shown the ankles are not the targets! TW

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I'm sparring (tkd) I'm always against someone smaller than me so It's always realy hard to get some real practise in because they'r always beating away at my ankles and i's no challange. Any ideas on how I can imrove my sparring without actually sparring?
Can you be a little more specific? How old are you, how old are the people you are sparring, how tall are you, how tall are the people you are sparring, how hard are you allowed to hit?

Personally, unless sparring someone vastly under you skill level (like sparring a 8-year old yellow belt), you can improve on something. You just need to look at how you go about your sparring.

Sparring someone smaller than you who keeps "chopping your ankles"? Work on your movement. This is the time to learn how to use your angles. Working on moving quickly, time your movements, and learn how to more effectivly counter so you can put them into inferior positioning. When I spar children I work on my foot work and not worry about striking. Kids are relentless and since you can not really hurt them or hit them hard you had better have excellent foot work to keep them from chopping up your legs.

Sparring someone with much lower expereince than you? Find out something they need to work on in sparring. Maybe they need to learn how to follow up with combinations. Maybe they need to work on blocking. What ever. Spar one-dimensional for the most part so they can focus on that aspect of sparring while you focus on improving what ever you are using to help that sutdent improve. They have a pretty good idea of what is coming, so you need to work double time on being deceptive, tricky, fast, etc. to make what ever you are doing work.

I could go on and on, and no body wants that :p, but try to at how you can improve with the people you are sparring.

OP
Whitebelt

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to answer Shu2Jack I'm 13, very for my age and very soft it's usually an 8 year old yellow belt ,good guess.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then, long legs would give you advantage in a gentle sidekick to keep them back. Or you could just back up, round kick. Or a pushkick. I know what you mean though about getting your ankles. They tend to swing low at first until they strengthen their legs. TW

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

I know a man who is about 6'6". One of the tallest I have seen in out org. The man is a 2 time champ in sparring and forms compitition.

I noticed his technique in sparring (and believe me, he is the tallest in his ring). He gave a deception of his size when he sparred (as well as form work).... his stances.
His stances were low, and without comprimising proper technique. He gave the appearance of being shorter than he was. With his deeper stance, those akle-choppers now thought they had a head shot available. Of course, his legs were able to lift and take the shot before the opponant knew what to do.
Impressive.

Latest Discussions