Links to durable Bo that can be used for contact training?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not 'regulated' by UK law, nothing to do with that but it's what the retailers have chosen to do, it's probably as much to do with making sure they get paid as anything.

OK, but you also said:
However as I said before you do have to be over 18 to buy them, not 16.

Which certainly sounds like it's a mandatory thing.

You also said (I can dig up the quote, if you like) that you could expect to be stopped by the police for the heinous act of carrying a stick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, but you also said:

Which certainly sounds like it's a mandatory thing.

You also said (I can dig up the quote, if you like) that you could expect to be stopped by the police for the heinous act of carrying a stick.

Mandatory by the retailers, I posted up a link to their disclaimer. They mandated no selling to under 18s, their prerogative, they have the right, under law, to sell to whom they like or not sell.

And a teenager carrying an uncovered 5ft wooden staff through the streets and on public transport in the US wouldn't be of interest to the police? I did say btw stopped not arrested or charged but stopped and asked why. it may be a stick though it could easily be a metal pole they are popular here as an alternative to wood. Common sense tells people to cover and carry in a case or bag.
Some American's opinions, Is it legal or Illegal to bring a Bo Staff on a bus?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. I thought it was a law. I was so happy to when New York got rid of their stupid law that made two wooden sticks on a string illegal. The US has some really stupid laws. Please don't follow our example, lol.

Only idiots would carry martial arts weapons on public transport and through busy streets uncovered or not in cases/bags. why would you do that? I carry my weapons around discreetly, why wouldn't you but this 16 boy wants to carry his weapons on public transport of course people would be concerend people be worried. It's inviting the police to stop and ask, they would be negligent not to stop him, especially at a time when we have youths and gangs fighting, as well as us being on a high terrorist alert as well as incidents like this
Thugs in mosque attack

The correct way to carry martial arts weapons around. Martial Art Weapons - Weapon Cases - Martial Art Shop

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mandatory by the retailers, I posted up a link to their disclaimer. They mandated no selling to under 18s, their prerogative, they have the right, under law, to sell to whom they like or not sell.

And a teenager carrying an uncovered 5ft wooden staff through the streets and on public transport in the US wouldn't be of interest to the police? I did say btw stopped not arrested or charged but stopped and asked why. it may be a stick though it could easily be a metal pole they are popular here as an alternative to wood. Common sense tells people to cover and carry in a case or bag.
Some American's opinions, Is it legal or Illegal to bring a Bo Staff on a bus?
Is that a collective action by retailers - some sort of association? In the US, anything like that would likely be a piecemeal approach if retailers made the decision.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only idiots would carry martial arts weapons on public transport and through busy streets uncovered or not in cases/bags. why would you do that? I carry my weapons around discreetly, why wouldn't you but this 16 boy wants to carry his weapons on public transport of course people would be concerend people be worried. It's inviting the police to stop and ask, they would be negligent not to stop him, especially at a time when we have youths and gangs fighting, as well as us being on a high terrorist alert as well as incidents like this
Thugs in mosque attack

The correct way to carry martial arts weapons around. Martial Art Weapons - Weapon Cases - Martial Art Shop
It would probably depend how the person was perceived, here. It's not rare (though not usual, either) for an older man in the southeastern US to use a long stick - basically a hiking stick - instead of a cane. Probably, people would react more to a smooth stick than one that looks like it was whittled from a sapling on a trail.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would probably depend how the person was perceived, here. It's not rare (though not usual, either) for an older man in the southeastern US to use a long stick - basically a hiking stick - instead of a cane. Probably, people would react more to a smooth stick than one that looks like it was whittled from a sapling on a trail.

Exactly which why I said a 16 year old boy carrying a Bo on public transport in one of our towns or cities would be perceived as being odd, to say the least. In some places being stopped by the police would be the least of his problems. In rural areas like mine plenty of people carry walking sticks/walking poles/crooks/thumb sticks etc and we are well able to differentiate between those and a Bo carried by a teenager. One attracts no attention the other can cause alarm. The days of carrying quarterstaffs a la Robin Hood are long gone, ( a lot of the Kevin Costner Robin Hood film was filmed local to me so we saw a lot of 'staff' posing with the cast)
Thought you might like these, they are expensive though.
Shepherds Crooks at The Stick & Cane Shop

Is that a collective action by retailers - some sort of association? In the US, anything like that would likely be a piecemeal approach if retailers made the decision.

There are literally only a handful of martial arts suppliers in the UK, I guess they could all know each other so perhaps they have decided together or as they say great minds think alike. All I know is that they all have it on their websites.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly which why I said a 16 year old boy carrying a Bo on public transport in one of our towns or cities would be perceived as being odd, to say the least. In some places being stopped by the police would be the least of his problems. In rural areas like mine plenty of people carry walking sticks/walking poles/crooks/thumb sticks etc and we are well able to differentiate between those and a Bo carried by a teenager. One attracts no attention the other can cause alarm. The days of carrying quarterstaffs a la Robin Hood are long gone, ( a lot of the Kevin Costner Robin Hood film was filmed local to me so we saw a lot of 'staff' posing with the cast)
Thought you might like these, they are expensive though.
Shepherds Crooks at The Stick & Cane Shop

There are literally only a handful of martial arts suppliers in the UK, I guess they could all know each other so perhaps they have decided together or as they say great minds think alike. All I know is that they all have it on their websites.
It would also depend on the area - as you imply here. What would go almost unnoticed in Western North Carolina (someone walking around with a "walking stick" - essentially a rough staff) would probably draw more attention in a large city like New York.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think in general, it's a good idea to bag up your weapons, unless you're carrying them for self-defense or they don't look like weapons (a hiking stick/cane, silat scarf, etc). Even if the weapon is totally legal, it can save you some hassle.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score