Limalama: Help Please?

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't find where this needed to be posted so I thought this would probably be best. Then it could get shidted to wherever later on. I been reading recently about a martial art known as Limalama. It's a martial art from the old samoan culture. At first glance it looks a well defined and rounded art. But that's not where my interest lies with the art.
I was wondering if anyone on MT could help me look for information regarding the history and culture surrounding it. I'd like to know about the different tribes and how they grew around the Polynesian region.
My main reason for this is I am currently researching trends in martial evolution in isolated socities. I would like to see if there is any correlation between an isoloated cultures warlike growth. I know the polynesians were pretty much untouched until the Americans went there, but I need a lot more information to get started.
Any information, and generally helpful pointers would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Limalama will not likely provide the source material you are looking for. It is essentially an eclectic martial art formed in the 1960's by a team of kenpo, karate, kung-fu and Lua practitioners. The name rings of old samoa, but the system only hearkens back a generation.

Good luck in your studies,

D.

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
hyper shadow.......i am a student of the LimaLama style..i studied under Tino Tuiolosega
way back in the covered wagon days. i am one of the members of the first batch of LimaLama students of that era. what people don't realize is that back then everyone knew everyone and it was really close knit, not like it is now. parker, woo, tuiolosega,
wong, etc all knew each other. doc, labounty, hale, big dennis c, and a few others on this site were from that era as well....send me a pm and i will give you as much info as you need...cw

John Wright

White Belt
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to look at LUA that is dedicated to Polynesian traditional MA. Under Solomon Kaihewalu that was in the Lima Lama organization.

Latest Discussions