Lil' yellow ribbon magnets

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a little vent thread with a debate attached.

My biggest current pet peeve is the lil' multicolored, but primarily yellow ribbon magnets on the backs of cars. My problem is that, I think most of the people who do this are just paying lip service to the cause of troop support. Most people buy these ribbons at flea markets where the money goes in somebody's pocket, and they seem to think that this signs them up on the "I support the troops" bandwaggon. Is that really support or just the new fad? What do the troops get out of it? They may feel a little better if they get to see them, which most won't. Then I thought, well, I don't want to be construed as a hypocrite, so I went out and picked up a few PS2 games, some of the Halloween candy bags, a few power bars and a few old concert shirts and threw them in a box, went online and got a marine's address in Iraq and sent him the package, with a note saying thanks and good luck. Now I don't have a ribbon on my car, but who did more to support the troops?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I agree that many people are doing this just like the "Baby On Board" and the Garfields in the window stuff of years gone by.

I agree that our troops need our support and if they come home on leave and see it and get a kick or enjoyment out of it or even respect it then good. Yet, those i ahve seen have not even noticed it, they are more concerned with readjusting to our culture where water is available to bath in and air conditioning and ice cubes that are safe to eat are what they want. Besides seeing their loved ones of couse.

Good Job in my book OULobo

:asian:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like proudly flying an American flag in front of your home it is a sign of patriotism. I don't think this is a bad thing. It gets people thinking and remembering that there are troops putting their lives on the line. What you did OULobo is an active act of support and an awesome thing to do! Seeing ribbons on the backs of cars prompted you to do so. One lead to the other, so in some way, it’s already shown to be a good thing. I think I'll go send out a care package too. :ultracool

T

Tkang_TKD

OULobo said:
Just a little vent thread with a debate attached.

My biggest current pet peeve is the lil' multicolored, but primarily yellow ribbon magnets on the backs of cars. My problem is that, I think most of the people who do this are just paying lip service to the cause of troop support. Most people buy these ribbons at flea markets where the money goes in somebody's pocket, and they seem to think that this signs them up on the "I support the troops" bandwaggon. Is that really support or just the new fad? What do the troops get out of it? They may feel a little better if they get to see them, which most won't. Then I thought, well, I don't want to be construed as a hypocrite, so I went out and picked up a few PS2 games, some of the Halloween candy bags, a few power bars and a few old concert shirts and threw them in a box, went online and got a marine's address in Iraq and sent him the package, with a note saying thanks and good luck. Now I don't have a ribbon on my car, but who did more to support the troops?
If ya want to send any more of those boxes I'll send ya my address :D

Seriously, what you've done I'm sure is very well appreciated. Many of our guys and gals overseas do not have significant others or close family members with whom they can communicate, and strangers like you that reach out to them are truly a God Send.

Back in the first Gulf war, I recieved several such care packages, along with may other guys on my ship. It was really cool to know that people cared enough to send them.

Thank you for your more personal support of our troops :D :D :D

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about those yellow ribbons. I thought it was people who had somebody over there but there has been an awful lot.

What you did was commendable Oulobo and something we could all get behind to actually "do" something.

What is the site you went to get get a name? Can you post it here? TW

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo, you rock my socks.

I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the yellow ribbon magnets on cars, for a similar reason. I think our troops should be supported, but I wonder how far that support goes. Would people vote for increased funding for the VA? For troops' salaries?

Good for you, OULobo. Kudos.

M

MisterMike

I think there needs to be more of them to spread the idea of supporting the troops. I'd like to think that people who purchased the ribbons thought their money was going to the troops and hopefully it is. I think some of these people are also doing more for the troops in addition to buying ribbons. But the message alone to inspire others to do the same is also valuable.

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
OULobo, you rock my socks.

I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the yellow ribbon magnets on cars, for a similar reason. I think our troops should be supported, but I wonder how far that support goes. Would people vote for increased funding for the VA? For troops' salaries?

Good for you, OULobo. Kudos.
Yes. Some of us with the Yellow ribbons have loved ones in country and believe it or not, do not put them on our cars for you - but for us.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work on a military base so hear a bunch of the personal side of things, I would offer a suggestion if anyone wants to send a box the one thing that I hear over and over again that is needed most is unscented sunscreen. You might also add some cards for things like birthdays or even the holidays, I hear those are hard to come by and let the soldiers still send something home for a special occassion.

We have a lot of yellow ribbons around here too...and many streets lined with yellow ribbons. So have faith Lobo....not everyone with a yellow ribbon on their car is doing it for only lip service...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right on, Lobo. My Scout troop is putting together a care box and sending it off.

M

Melissa426

:asian: :asian: to you Lobo!

I personally thank you for a real concrete demonstration of support for the troops.

Peace,
Melissa

T

TonyM.

And just like the last war most of the people I know with the support our troops stickers have done exactly nothing. Some "special" person even stole the ribbon from my wifes car. I find this almost as irritating as the putz's that threw the Hari Krishnas peanut butter cookies at me and called me a baby killer in the airport at Atlanta when I returned home from Vietnam. Guess they didn't recognize medic insignia.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
care packages are always good, i've sent 3 already and really not all that expensive. it does take a while for them to arrive though, quite understandable.

as for the yellow ribbon magnets, i feel these are a way to show people you are in support of what are troops are doing over there and elsewhere. as for "really" supporting the men and women, purchase your yellow ribbon magnet through the USO and then you'll "really" be supporting them.

http://www.uso.org/cleveland/default.cfm?contentid=658

theres the link for the ohio chapter of the USO. just do a search on the site or google for your particular state's chapter. theres absolutely nothing wrong with buying them elsewhere anyhow, just another way for anti-war wackos stir crap up, IMO.

if you purchase the magnet from someplace other than the USO, sure it's obvious someone is pocketing the margin to be made off of it. it's called business. i really don't see why the libs and dems would see a problem with this. i mean c'mon, all you hear them bitchin' about is the economy anyhow, wouldnt you think this would help...? LOL!

R

raedyn

I saw one of these yellow ribbon magnets for the first time this weekend. On a car with the North Dakota licence plate "NAMVET". And there was a red white & blue ribbon, too. I'm curious what was written on the red white & blue one. Does anybody know?

Then I saw a truck with local plates and one of the yellow ribbons on the back. I just thought it was interesting that I would encounter these at home (four hours away from the US border) and right after I first heard about them. Seeing that ribbon did what I think it was intended to do - it made me stop and think about the people that are soliders in this war and about their families.

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting story: I sent my package and later I told my nephew. He decided that it was a good idea, and said that he would put one together if I would send it. I said sure, why not. One week later, my mother calls me to tell me that he went to his Jr. high school and told all his friends. They took up a collection of left over and unwanted candy from Halloween, and now I have a 40lb. bag of candy that I have to pay international freight on. It comes out to close to $140. Ouch!

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know...it is expensive to mail. You would think they would come up with like a really reduced rate for stuff going to military bases:(, or even a flat rate, after all it is one government organization delivering to another government organization. In the end the postage seems to cost more than the items inside the package....

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
I know...it is expensive to mail. You would think they would come up with like a really reduced rate for stuff going to military bases:(, or even a flat rate, after all it is one government organization delivering to another government organization. In the end the postage seems to cost more than the items inside the package....

Yeah, it sucks to have to pay extra to be generous, but the USPS isn't a government organization anymore . . . Reagan privatized it. Still, I'd imagine the goods are probably worth more than the shipping to the guys getting it.

Latest Discussions