lightning and vehicles

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the last two and half weeks I have had two people tell me of someone recently having their vehicle hit by lightning.

One in Ontario and the other in Florida.

So my question is, have you ever had a vehicle hit by lightning or a near hit and damage was done?

If damage was done could you tell what type?

I know electricity can find wierd paths and lots fo voltage does wierd things (* all of us have seen or heard of "Back to the Future" ;) *) but I thought I would ask here for other stories. :D

Thanks

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Haven't had a strike hit, but, a few years ago, while driving to a friend's house, lightning hit the road about 100 feet in front of me. This caused an "OH ****!" reaction on my part. I turned the wheel hard right, and braked, causing my car to slide sideways, stopping just short of a power pole.
Scared the crap out of me, nearly literally.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Every year many cars get lighting strikes....had a TV station actully showing a car hit by lighting (on the roof) and the car kept going down the road....

Aloha,

PS: Many people have survive actual strikes....and many die too...

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't think lightning could strike a car because it isn't grounded. Am I wrong?

Hello, Every year many cars get lighting strikes....had a TV station actully showing a car hit by lighting (on the roof) and the car kept going down the road....

Aloha,

PS: Many people have survive actual strikes....and many die too...

Cars and Planes get hit by lightning. The Car and Plane are isolated from an external ground so unless the high voltage low amperage could cause a problem to some electronics not rated for such a condition.

I was just curious.

Thanks

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been in a plane that got struck by lightening, but never a car.

The plane landed safely, natch. Either that or I've been quickly reincarnated :D

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The rubber used to make tires is not 100% pure gum rubber and will conduct electricity. A lightening strike will pass through the car and into the ground.

The fire dept. I belong to had the local power company give us a demo on how even a 7,200 volt primary line can travel through bicycle tire, car tire and rubber boots... all because of the impurities in the rubber.

But, 100% pure gum rubber, used to make the gloves and boots used by electric company linemen, will isolate the wearer from being grounded.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The rubber used to make tires is not 100% pure gum rubber and will conduct electricity. A lightening strike will pass through the car and into the ground.

The fire dept. I belong to had the local power company give us a demo on how even a 7,200 volt primary line can travel through bicycle tire, car tire and rubber boots... all because of the impurities in the rubber.

But, 100% pure gum rubber, used to make the gloves and boots used by electric company linemen, will isolate the wearer from being grounded.

Thanks.

I have heard from some service technician types that lightning can jump form the ground of a nearby strike to the wheel sensors on the vehicle.

So, I can see even in an isolation it can jump the short distance.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Good to practice "lighting techniques"....two "C" batteries, wire...etc.. or tazers?

Aloha

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aircraft electronics are generally designed to take at least limited exposure to lightning strikes. Cars... Not so much. I know a guy who's cruiser was fried by a near miss (or maybe hit...)

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aircraft electronics are generally designed to take at least limited exposure to lightning strikes. Cars... Not so much. I know a guy who's cruiser was fried by a near miss (or maybe hit...)

JKS,

by fried, do you mean, inoperative? Was it just the extras such as lights and sirens or brakes and powertrain controls?

And yes Airplanes have designs like little rods to on the wings and tail to help shed off the electricity, they also have a frame that is designed for lightning strikes and to help isolate the controls. A quick search for lightning patents and airplanes will lead to this info.

Thanks

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
JKS,

by fried, do you mean, inoperative? Was it just the extras such as lights and sirens or brakes and powertrain controls?

And yes Airplanes have designs like little rods to on the wings and tail to help shed off the electricity, they also have a frame that is designed for lightning strikes and to help isolate the controls. A quick search for lightning patents and airplanes will lead to this info.

Thanks
Fried as in smoke coming out of the console for lights and radio and call a wrecker 'cause you don't know what else is working.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks.

I have heard from some service technician types that lightning can jump form the ground of a nearby strike to the wheel sensors on the vehicle.

So, I can see even in an isolation it can jump the short distance.

As strange as this sounds, this is absolutely true.

Voltage is a measure of force, amperage is a measure of pressure. Lighting strikes are dangerous because they are uncontrolled bursts of static electricity that combine both a high force and a high pressure.

"Lightning finds the shortest path to ground" - what this means is lightening finds the least resistive path to a low ground potential.

A surface below one's feet is not necessarily a low ground potential.

There have been reports of farm animals succumbing to a lightening strike because lightning hit a nearby tree. Without a way of reaching a low ground potential, lightning can jump and drag across a surface until the force and pressure fades to nothing, or it reaches a low enough ground potential to stop moving further.

Broadcast/RF/Cell towers are frequently struck by lightning. These towers frequently have a ground plane of high quality copper that is submerged deep in the ground. Whatever arresting device is used on the tower is designed to conduct the charge down to the ground plane.

That's probably a lot more than you all want to know. :eek: So yes, lightning can move along a surface, because a surface is not necessarily "ground" in the electrical sense. :asian: