Letters to Elected Officials

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wondering who out there has written to an elected official? I just wrote to my congressment earlier today for the first time. How many out there actively engauge their government? If you so feel up to sharing... what issues where you hoping to bring to their attention.
I wrote to my congressmen concerning social security and the up coming energy bill for 2005.
(my appologies if this is duplicate thread)

OP
D

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept do you feel that your letters had any sort of influence?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Individually, probably not. I think it's much like voting, one vote will not make a difference, but if everyone votes, it does. If everyone simply sat at home and didn't bother, well, it would be a sad state of affairs.

If enough people express their views, the people in power will take them into consideration when making decisions.

The issue at question was to prohibit all swords and martial arts weapons, requiring a special license to own them and a safe to keep them in.

Special dispensation has since been made for swords classified as heirlooms, swords given as trophies, military officers for whom a sword is part of the uniform, and martial arts instructors. So I think the letters, combined with the letters from everyone else, may have influenced the shape the legislation took.

G

ghostdog2

I have a little, very little, experience with this sort of thing.But, in my experience, and believe it or not, those letters get read. They do make an impact. Do they make a difference? Depends on how many there are and who they're from, I think.
On major issues, your rep. should have a well publicized position. Showing you know what it is and either agreeing or intelligently arguing against it seems to be most likely to be effective.
Consider calling your Senator or Congressman's local office. Talk to someone there and get him/her to pass on your comments.
Most politicians want to hear what their constituents have to say. And they want your vote.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I write letters and send e-mails. My state rep has replied to almost every one - a form letter, sure, but an acknowledgement that my message was received.

National-level reps and senators have not been so good about it.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I write to my Representative in Congress relatively regularly. I have written to the Senators in my state on several occasions, as well. Here is one of those letters ...

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220858&postcount=1

You quite probably will receive a response. The House and Senate have staff people to reply to letters. I do not expect my requests to change the Representative's or Senator's votes, but I expect them to be informed that not everyone is 100% behind their choice.

As someone mentioned, these letters do get read. And apathy by most of us is why organized, vocal minority groups can influence the government. Look at the FCC's reaction over the last year. Look at the Parents Television Council's web site. I love the 'Look up a TV SHOW rating' on the start page. And, you can send the FCC a complaint from this page as well.

http://www.parentstv.org/

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Just wondering who out there has written to an elected official? I just wrote to my congressment earlier today for the first time. How many out there actively engauge their government? If you so feel up to sharing... what issues where you hoping to bring to their attention.
I wrote to my congressmen concerning social security and the up coming energy bill for 2005.
(my appologies if this is duplicate thread)

I have written as well as tracked down phone numbers and called to give my peace and make my comments known.

I received back a picture from President J. Carter and other letters of acknowledgement, as well as an e-mail exchange, and a return phone call form a staff assistant asked to follow up as I left my name and phone number, as I wanted to be contacted. :)

OP
D

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wow I'm glad to know that I am not the only one that wants my voice to be heard. I think it's quite sad in that many of my peers (those of my age group) have no interest in the government's activites. Perhaps they fail to realize that inaction today may lead to a situation they would have rather not found themselves in.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I've sent pre-formatted e-mails to my State assembly person and to our U.S. senators before. I don't think it did much though, since they were probably already going to vote my way anyhow. :D

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm an activist. I belong to a number of local and national activist organizations, and a local media watch organization--we monitor the media, and we write LOTS of letters to elected representatives and to media outlets. Collectively we have 3+ letters published every single week. I run a progressive website, www.MandateTHIS.org My major objectives now include preserving Social Security, and getting our troops home safely.

Your letters, phone calls and e-mails absolutely do matter, if for no other reason than adding a tick mark to the pro or con side of an issue. It lets the media know you're watching them, helps bring your viewpoint to a public immersed in corporate media, and reminds the politicians who they're supposed to be working for. You usually do get a response from elected officials, even if it's a form letter--but I occasionally get a personal phone call from local representatives to help me with a problem.
BTW, if you're writing to Congress or the White House, you're better off with an e-mail or phone call. Because of security, snail mail is delayed.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't written to any elected officials, but I did get a Christmas card from George & Laura Bush; I also got a "new year's letter" from the pres. Although they looked handwritten, I'm sure they were mimeo-graphed. And I'm sure I received them because I was a local volunteer for his re-election.

And I thought it was neat to receive them.

S

Spud

I've written my U.S. Senators and Rep opposing bills to allow insurance companies to categorize some sports as "extreme" for the purpose of denying or limiting claims. Most recently I've written them regarding the Transportation Reauthorization bill that is about 18 months overdue.

Generally I get some boilerplate letter in return written by a staffer that completely glosses over any details that would suggest they read my letter beyond assigning it to a pile for H.R. ##, #

To be fair. Larry Craig's office did a good job of detailing the status of the legislation along with his concerns (that I don't agree with, but he was straightforward compared with the other officials) .

Latest Discussions