Let's make a muay thai group

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've seen that MT has a number of member-groups. What are the rules? We should make a martial talk muay thai group exclusive to people who practise muay thai.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds good! Do you think you can get it going? The muay thai section of MT gets a lot of attention so it might work.

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Why couldn't you just check the new check box in your profile?

Or, are you thinking of something different that I'm not seeing?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Give me an idea of what you're thinking of here and we'll see what we can do.

Right now, we've got several groups that restrict access to private forums, or add some hidden features, plus the paid groups like supporting membership and the new gold key club.

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It would basically be to recognize that there is a significant muay thai community based here at martial talk, and give that community recognition and belonging. We'd have one of those little banners and perhaps a bunch of forums outside of martial talk which are dedicated only to muay thai, or perhaps private forums here. To become a member people just PM or email their full name and location to the group leader who adds them to list and gives them recognition as part of the martial talk muay thai community. It is however, only for people who practise muay thai. How's that sound.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those are some really interesting ideas!

Actually I think everyone here can help us get this going.

There are a lot of posts here about specific milestones or events with their training...such as joining a school or getting ready for a fight..and that's all good...but what would help the group out is a bit more conversation about ordinary stuff.

Post about what you are working on for training. Talk about what drills you like. Vent about whatever you don't like. Talk about a good day in the gym...or a bad day....or an ordinary day. I think all of us would like to hear more about what each other is doing. :)

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Those are some really interesting ideas!

Actually I think everyone here can help us get this going.

There are a lot of posts here about specific milestones or events with their training...such as joining a school or getting ready for a fight..and that's all good...but what would help the group out is a bit more conversation about ordinary stuff.

Post about what you are working on for training. Talk about what drills you like. Vent about whatever you don't like. Talk about a good day in the gym...or a bad day....or an ordinary day. I think all of us would like to hear more about what each other is doing. :)

I second that.

Muay Thai is a great art and it would be great to form a kind of tight-knit community where we all help eachother out.

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some people who have exceeded 1000 posts are in the '1000 posts club'. And have a bold title which recognizes this. We should form a 'Muay Thai Club' and members have the same bold title.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen some people who have exceeded 1000 posts are in the '1000 posts club'. And have a bold title which recognizes this. We should form a 'Muay Thai Club' and members have the same bold title.

Interesting idea. The more folks that start posting here, the easier it will be to convince Bob. ;)

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What if I send Bob a list of Muay Thaiers who want to join the Muay Thai club?

I want to make it clear that this club would not be intended for bragging rights - people would not become members for the sake of being members. It's for the recognition of a Muay Thai community made up of members who collectively help eachother advance in the art of Muay Thai.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's what is holding this idea back:

Since Jan 1st, there have only been 840 posts here. That's only about 6-7 a day on average. Adding a private area would only draw traffic away, resulting in less traffic since anyone not in the 'club' wouldn't know that the private area a-existed or b-was really that active.

So, at the moment, the idea of exclusive private forums isn't appealing to me, though we do have the mechanism to do it. (Check out the Hosted Forum info)

Adding additional public forums though, is appealing, though the traffic needs to justify it. It's not a good idea to have 5 forums each getting 1 post a month, when 1 forum might generate 50.

Now the public recognition bit, I can see as possible, though to be honest I'd most likely implement the system to recognize several arts with a member-selectable "badge", probably showing up under the UserTitle by your avatar. This part I'll be looking into more shortly.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now on the other hand, if those list of people that were interested became folks that were more than just saying they were interested....and took a step further to actively post, that could be different.

But these other folks can't just say they wanna do it. They need to step up and get in the ring here on a regular basis ;) ...like you've been doing. :asian:

Latest Discussions