Let me know If I did the right thing as a MA.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
I guess I disagree with the majority.

I don't think you did the right thing - maybe half right (not thrashing the guy). If it was me, I would calmly explain that my car was parked legally and I would not be moving it, then I would go about my business.

If the guy keeps yelling and demanding a fight, I'd ignore him - probably appologize a couple times for not being able to help, then I'd walk away.
If I haven't done anything wrong, I'm not going to let some idiot tell me to fix something that's not my problem. If they want to get physical over it, that's their choice (and a very bad one too).

"The guy runs out and starts cursing at me to move my car. Keep in mind that I am legally parked. I would have moved, but I did not appreciate that attitude."

Attitude or not, I would simply point out the van on the other side that is illegally parked, and say "that vehicle is in your way, not mine."

"-Did I do the right thing?"

No. You gave into aggression and reinforced that man's behavior.

"Should I have move right away?"

No. You were legally parked.

"Should I have knocked him?"

Only if he attacked you, and you could not get away.

"Should I have stayed in one place and not came out of the car?"

No. If you were originally planning on parking there to then walk to whereever, then that is what you should have done, and not let some loudmouth tell you what to do.

Martial artist or not.

This is the first post that I have read that I agree with
Dude behaving like you did something wrong when you didnt is not the way to handle things, yeah fair enough dont smack the guy for being a loudmouth but dont act like a ***** when there was no need
Grow up and stop looking for a pat on the back.

Reactions: MJS
OP
B

BaiKaiGuy

Bammx2 said:
As for BaiKaiGuy...
I take offence at your statement of "you're not as dangerous as you think you are.None of us are".
Lawyer or not,you don't speak for me or anyone else for that matter.
In my opinion,law has replaced the need for honor.
There ya go! jump to the wrong conclusion!
It does serve some purpose.
BUT...if these 2 guys wanted to bash the ever livin crap out of each other,the law can't do anything if no one wants to press charges.
Cept maybe for a some sort of public disorder. thats it.
You are beyond incorrect. The state only needs a few good eyewitnesses to make the case, cases can proceed w/o a victim. Besides, considering what a jerk this guy was, he'd go straight to a lawyer and the cops. But please, take that chance, I like having job security when people think they can take matters into their own hands. Keeps me financially safe!

You don't like law, tough. It governs us. And I firmly stand by my statement that no MAer is as dangerous as they like to think. There's always someone bigger, togher, and meaner than you, and your MA is worth squat against a .44.

Bammx2 said:
And for the record,I'll take jail time or a beat down so other people won't have to.
It's not always about EGO....sometimes it's just about doing what others can't,or worse...won't do.

It's not who you are on the inside that matters.It's what you do that defines who you are.
Again, thanks for the job security. Look forward to representing you in court Mr. Vigilante. And those twelve will throw your butt in jail, for what? Your wounded pride. Brilliant, just bloody brilliant.

OP
M

Martialscientist

BaiKai.

If I let the guy hit me, and than rip him appart. Is that ok.
That is what my master recommend. I am from the BRonx dog, you know what I mean.
Would the law give me money for the good beat down?

OP
B

BaiKaiGuy

Martialscientist said:
BaiKai.

If I let the guy hit me, and than rip him appart. Is that ok.
That is what my master recommend. I am from the BRonx dog, you know what I mean.
Would the law give me money for the good beat down?
Two words for you, free legal advice:

GROW UP

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Some people just can't be man/woman enough to admit that they might have made a mistake. I guess its a matter of ego.....but it's important to keep somewhere in the back of our head that if we do decide to take action, whatever it may be, that we need to accept the fact that we could be bringing a ton of problems crashing down on us. Mike
I agree. Satelite, IMHO I think you did the right thing; a parking space is definitely NOT worth fighting over. IMO all adults should think about the consequences of their actions, whether they are martial artists or not. :asian:

OP
M

Macy5

I guess you did the right thing.
Cause you are asking this question, I guess you would have been more happy if you did something else.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first time back for some time,and I have to point something out.....

The "Batman" refference.

Is todays society so wrapped up in hollywood,that a quote couldn't come from someplace else?

For everyones information......

That particular quote in question ACTUALLY came to me by means of:

Veston Padgett
Onslow County,N.C.
WW2 Veteran
and Gods own carpenter!
My gran'daddy!

And he ain't never seen Batman and I never saw it til last week!
And yes...I felt stupid because SOME people would think that quote was from the movie,by the movie and for the movie only.

Nice to know hollywood writes our history as well as our phlisophies.

BaiKaiGuy.....

My apologies for taking a cheap shot at your proffesion and your opinions.
I was just caught on a very bad stretch and was taking things out on everyone and everything.

My sincerest and most humble apologies.:asian:

OP
C

CrankyDragon

The only thing you did wrong was have a MA sticker on your vehicle. This attracts idiots like flies to chit. Same with hunting and gun stickers, etc.. Brings unwanted and/or un-needed attention. Id just assume blend into everyone.

You did good and would make a Sensei somewhere proud, instead of accepting the confrentation, you avoided it. One of the wise things that MA tries to teach us. If you already know you can kick there ****, why do it??

Andrew

OP
O

OC Kid

I would not have moved my car. I would not have gotten into a verble confrontation with him either.

Instead I would have used my cell and called 9-1-1. Told the police the situation and how it is escallating. That you are being threatened and are in fear of your life.

Never give in to a bully. Especially if you are right.

You dont have to fight him.

That is lowering your standards.

But giving into him is just reinforcing his.
FWIW road rage in Calif. is a felony.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OC Kid said:
I would not have moved my car. I would not have gotten into a verble confrontation with him either.

Instead I would have used my cell and called 9-1-1. Told the police the situation and how it is escallating. That you are being threatened and are in fear of your life.

Never give in to a bully. Especially if you are right.

You dont have to fight him.

That is lowering your standards.

But giving into him is just reinforcing his.
FWIW road rage in Calif. is a felony.
I agree. You did well to avoid the physical confrontation, but in the end you caved to a bully. Call the cops, point out that your legally parked and the other guy isn't, get out of the car and walk away, do whatever you can to avoid the fight. If you're assaulted you get to fight back, verbally or otherwise. The fact that you have some MA experience doesn't require you to give in to this kind of ****. Maybe it's a flaw in my moral and social stance, but I just can't stomach allowing thuggery like this to modify my lawful and socially considerate and conscientious behavior

John Lacy

White Belt
Reaction score
Mark L said:
I agree. You did well to avoid the physical confrontation, but in the end you caved to a bully. Call the cops, point out that your legally parked and the other guy isn't, get out of the car and walk away, do whatever you can to avoid the fight. If you're assaulted you get to fight back, verbally or otherwise. The fact that you have some MA experience doesn't require you to give in to this kind of ****. Maybe it's a flaw in my moral and social stance, but I just can't stomach allowing thuggery like this to modify my lawful and socially considerate and conscientious behavior
Well said..............mark the dispute by calling on legal channels. It not only helps to document the situation, but also can show the pattern of where it went from there. So if the dumb*** in question comes up to make his point more physically clear, break out the can of whoopass and bring the problem to a close. Legally of course!