Leo Giron

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just saw a post on the Uechi ryu forum which announced that Grandmaster Leo Giron of Giron Escrima passed away yesterday. While I've never met or seen this man, I do have the recently published book called "Secrets of Giron Escrima." Yet another loss for the FMA community.

:(

Y

YODA

I've seen him on tape but never met him. I was only watching him on the Dog Brothers tape yesterday and thinking how he would be a great guy to experience - then I got the email through that he'd passed away. Seems we're losing these old masters at a fast rate these days.

Hope his close friends & family are ok.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The FMA community has lost too many notable teachers in the last few years. It should remind us all that our time is short, both with our own teachers, and to see/train with those we haven't yet met . How often do we hear someone say "oh, I'll go to the next seminar/camp/whatever."
Sincere condolences to GM Giron's family and students.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current (Sept. 2003) issue of Martial Art has an interview with his successor, Tony Somera.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
The current (Sept. 2003) issue of Martial Art has an interview with his successor, Tony Somera.

Thanks Arni,

I will have to check the article out.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ugh. . . not to kill a thread, and I hope I am not in the wrong here, but Leo (Leovigildo Miguel) Giron of Bahala Na and Giron Arnis Eskrima passed on May, 21 2002, born Aug. 20, 1911. Among other things this man was an honored veteran of WWII and a great talent in the field of FMA. He is saddly missed.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Note, the first post in the thread, announcing his death, was dated 05-22-2002.

It seemed a relevant place to post about his successor.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Note, the first post in the thread, announcing his death, was dated 05-22-2002.

It seemed a relevant place to post about his successor.

My humblest apologies. I only saw the date on the "Last Visited" tab. I didn't see the posting date. Sorry.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No worries!

I recently picked up the Giron Arnis Escrima book by Mr. Somera but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I often use his largo system in my training. The "chain" and "box" step and the different angles are just enough variation to throw people off in sparring. The Bahala Na system is on my field trip list. I would've loved to catch some of his old WWII war stories. I went on a spree and bought the Giron, Serrada, Illustrisimo, abanico and "Arnis" books all at once, but now I haven't had time to read them all.

J

jsbelljr83

I too would have loved to been able to hear some of his stories of WWII. Sadly, he only was awarded a Bronze Star, and from what I have read, he should have been awarded higher decorations then that, but it seems that was the case with most of the Filipino fighters in WWII. They had white American Officers in charge of them, and their Officers didn't want them to receive the recognition they rightly deserved.

Latest Discussions