'legal' weapons

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
Mike Pick is probably one of the foremost runners of knife knowledge in the EPAK system. He is certainly not "most" Kenpoists.

Yeah, my instructor Don Smith received his 5th degree black from Mr. Pick so we currently study knife fighting. Mr. Smith used to run an online magazine called Fighting Systems Magazine that has a great article on the Kenpo knife. The site is no longer running but I have it on disk, I'll have to post some articles from that.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by kenpo_cory
Yeah, my instructor Don Smith received his 5th degree black from Mr. Pick so we currently study knife fighting. Mr. Smith used to run an online magazine called Fighting Systems Magazine that has a great article on the Kenpo knife. The site is no longer running but I have it on disk, I'll have to post some articles from that.

Rank means very little in EPAK (Ed Parker's American Kenpo) anymore. It's cheap and easy to come by. But if your instructor trains under Mike Pick, (and I don't mean just joined his orgainization and got his 5th) then he's probably having the time of his life.

I have never met Mr. Pick or seen his work per say but everyone I speak with likes his knife work.

He still isn't a good benchmark for "most" Kenpoists in respects to knife work. Most Kenpoists go outside Kenpo to learn knife work then bring it back, if they go at all.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
Rank means very little in EPAK (Ed Parker's American Kenpo) anymore. It's cheap and easy to come by. But if your instructor trains under Mike Pick, (and I don't mean just joined his orgainization and got his 5th) then he's probably having the time of his life.

Well, he trained with Mr. Pick for several years in the 90's but no longer trains with him.

OP
J

Jas

I live in New York state and I am in Law Enforcement, I can tell you in our state there are many weapons that are leagel to own, its when you use them that you get in trouble. As far as oc spray it doesnt have an effect on people on certain meds or with certain mental dissorders, guns are another story I carry one everywhere I go as a last resort, but there are so many leagel problems with using one that even if your right your wrong

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm pretty lucky being in Florida. If I want, I could just spend the money for a Concealed Weapons permit and carry automatic knives, firearms, etc.

Cthulhu

OP
S

sweeper

I always cary with me a bunch of pennies, a mechanical pencil and sometimes a 2 "AA" cell mag light.. I considered carrying a knife but most of the places I go, unless I was just showing off the blade I would be in deep ____ if I actualy used it. Most of the time I'm in fairly open space so if I end up cutting someone up it tends to be hard to justify my actions (basicly I have to turn and face an attacker).

(edit) almost forgot.. An Old habbit from when I was fairly young has been to always buy cloathing that is suitable for me to play soccer in, that is to say cloathing that doesn't inhibit my movement and shoes that can get grip off road.. So genneraly running is a good option.

OP
J

Jas

my point is anything can be a weapon, but just because something is leagel to have dosent mean its leagel yo use

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Cthulhu
I'm pretty lucky being in Florida. If I want, I could just spend the money for a Concealed Weapons permit and carry automatic knives, firearms, etc.

Cthulhu

Automatic knives? Dont make me shoot you with my spear!
:rofl:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you about being fortunate to be living in florida........
Remember just because a state allows you to carry a weapon you must be justified in using it, be careful not to get into any trouble but dont be so careful as to be afraid to use it( I WOULD RATHER BE TRIDE BY TWELVE THAN CARRIED BY SIX). keep in mind that anything can be considered a weapon.

Latest Discussions