Left VS. right

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand that the dominant side should be stronger but, herelately my left is alot stronger. I was wondering is that something that is the norm the opposite side being stronger when you get a little older?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as far as arms and hands are concerned, it is actually not uncommon for the 'off' side to be the stronger. So if you're right-handed then your left hand will be the stronger.

The reasoning behind this is that people use their dominant hand for 'manipulation' so their non-dominant hand gets used for 'strength' tasks e.g. holding an object whilst the dominant hand executes some operation on it ...

... why does this suddenly sound double-entendre laden? Or is that just me? :lol:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well for me my right hand is stronger than the left and I am right handed but for the feet and legs of kicking the left is my stronger and better side. I think this is due to the right leg being a better support leg. Thus making kicking with the left prefered and stronger due to a better supporting base. Just my observation.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm all kinds of confused. Right handed, left arm is stronger, left eye is dominant, right ear is better (my hearing kind of sucks). So, yah.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've found that my left leg has better accuracy and flexibility due to it being my lead leg most of the time, but my right leg is by far stronger, since it's the support leg.

The cool thing about it, that I've found, is that they both serve their purpose when sparring. If I need to control my opponent from a distance, then I can kick with my left leg, but if I need to use a stronger kick, I'll kick with my right.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train to minimize the differences between my sides. Ideally I'd be ambidextrous, but since I am not, I eat with my left hand, I open doors with my left hand, etc. It's not just on the dojo floor. Trying to be proficient on both sides means a significant commitment to living the other way 24-7.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've found that my left leg has better accuracy and flexibility due to it being my lead leg most of the time, but my right leg is by far stronger, since it's the support leg.

The cool thing about it, that I've found, is that they both serve their purpose when sparring. If I need to control my opponent from a distance, then I can kick with my left leg, but if I need to use a stronger kick, I'll kick with my right.

I'm similar in this regard. For some things, one leg is simply better, for others its the other leg. I've always heard the "everyone has a good side" line, but oit goes back and forth from side to side for me, depending on the technique.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm dominately south paw (fight with right side forward) but I've noticed that as I get older that I'm able to fight better than I did with my left side forward. I found this to be a little wierd. I'm getting more comfortable fighting left side forward even though I've fought my whole life south paw. any explanation on this?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train to minimize the differences between my sides. Ideally I'd be ambidextrous, but since I am not, I eat with my left hand, I open doors with my left hand, etc. It's not just on the dojo floor. Trying to be proficient on both sides means a significant commitment to living the other way 24-7.
Funny that you mention this. I am recovering from a broken arm (right arm) and it forced me to do everything with my left arm. I can now brush my teeth, eat, and just about everything else with my left arm now except write. Got quite good at doing things left handed now.

I also heard that doing things with you recessive hand or side is good for the brain.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny that you mention this. I am recovering from a broken arm (right arm) and it forced me to do everything with my left arm. I can now brush my teeth, eat, and just about everything else with my left arm now except write. Got quite good at doing things left handed now.

I also heard that doing things with you recessive hand or side is good for the brain.

For me the acid test was shaving with my left hand. I haven't quite worked myself up to that yet. On the plus side, my two-handed backhand stroke in tennis improved tremendously after my body realized it was just a left-handed forehand with the right hand also on the grip for guidance. That's a basic tip teaching pros tell you over and over again, but it won't mean much unless your body understands too.