Learning by DVDs, eh?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...... From where I stand, they are walking examples of what it wrong in the martial arts, but their numbers seem to be rising due to the ease of getting slip shod instruction. Ask them, and they will say they are good. I disagree.

The joy of that though, as with people who exaggerate their skills, is that they either get found out or find out for themselves. The best way is to invite them to one of your training sessions where, without putting on anything special on for them hopefully they realise where they stand as far as training is concerned. It's a much easier way for them than finding out the hard way in a competition or even worse a brawl or street fight.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New approaches are quite often panned, and accepted later.

Very true. Distance learning at the high school and college level continues to gain acceptance.

But, I still say that the general opinion right now is that distance learning for the martial arts, or other physical skills, is of questionable value. Where's the distance learning for basketball?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New approaches are quite often panned, and accepted later. I only have a problem with broadly applied statements - it's too much like stereotyping.

If someone who has learned from the beggining from videos and later proven to be competent in an art ever comes forward, I will revise my broadly applied statement.

So far, nada. Everyone I know and respect who started out trying to learn from video and later had real instruction has said the same thing. I know a few guys (banned from martialtalk) who might say differently, but I do not respect them or their skills even though they are quite willing to blow their own horn.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hm. I'm a distance learning Kenpo student. I know for a fact that SGM Parker had a project of several training tapes that were going to be produced. Larry Tatum has been quoted several times about his distance students really surprising him with their performance.

No basketball tapes - that's a team sport. We're individually based. I don't think that's a fair comparison. However, this is a long standing debate which I'm not trying to pursue.

My issue is with people who make no clause for exceptions to "the rule." That's it.

Taijiman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts takes at least two. Maybe a better sport to compare it too would be wrestling ;) You could learn some exercises and a mental understanding of the basic principles, but your not going to be an actual wrestler without the experience of wrestling with someone else :) Asian martial arts are the same way. Partner work with someone who knows what they're doing is an important part of the martial arts learning experience.

Of course, the guy that started this thread is pretty experienced, and has kungfu experience too, so I think he could do ok if he gets someone to be a practice dummy that's skilled enough not to get hurt :p In general, I don't mind people learning things off dvds as long as they don't try to become a teacher or set themselves up as an expert based entirely on video training. But I think if you really reach and instructor/expert level in any martial art, you should know enough that you could at least have fun with something from video and not screw yourself up :)

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Learning any style of Kung Fu from a DVD would pose a real challenge to the student. Of all the martial arts you could have chosen, Kung Fu goes to such depths...and really the complexities in technique seem like they would be almost impossible to learn from a DVD. Especially without an instructor there to help you with the movements...I mean Kung Fu is so kinetic...everything flows together so fluently, and with such elegance...how can you be taught something like that from a DVD? I mean, it might not hurt, but if at all possible, I would suggest finding an instructor. Of course, I'm sure that you probably have already realized all this, and that learning from a DVD at this point and time might be the only resource that you can call upon. Nontheless, I respect the urge to learn. It might be a difficult method, but anything's worth a shot I suppose. I wouldn't count on it's efficiency, though.

Latest Discussions