Last question tonight

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you was the founding father of TKD and you lokked down from the heaven and see how TKD is today and had the power from GOD, what would you do to those that have changed your Art and how would you correct it?
Terry

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I would float down from heaven..and kick some ***...show them how its really done!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
If you was the founding father of TKD and you lokked down from the heaven and see how TKD is today and had the power from GOD, what would you do to those that have changed your Art and how would you correct it?
Terry

I'd knock out the whole gotta be certified through a specific body in Korea to compete in TKD in the Olympics, (do they have such a specification for Curling?) and I'd monkey around with the olympic rule set.

If I had the power from God, I'd simply will the changes to occur, and they would be good.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
If you was the founding father of TKD and you lokked down from the heaven and see how TKD is today...
Terry

If I were one of the founding fathers of TKD, and looked down to see the state of my art now I would kick those in charge right square in the nads for selling out our art, and for its Olympic/sports emphasis. Sure, its made TKD one of the most popular MAs on the planet but at what cost???

Then, I would guide the art back to a traditional, more self-defense oriented art rather than a sport. TKD weakens the kwons where it was derived by its total concentration on sport, Mc Dojang TKD. Just MHO.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

First, I would feel compelled to turn to God, and apologize for claiming to be the "father" of anything other than my own children, and for claiming that God's knowledge was "my art." Since God created all of this knowledge, and every rule of nature that we observe and use in the Martial Art (ALL Martial Art variations), and put it here on Earth for us to discover, we have created nothing, but discovered it at various intervals. Some discovered it centuries ago, others are just learning about it. Some have organized it, packaged it, and marketed it in different ways, in many countries, in various languages, but it is nature's gift from God's knowledge (IMHO).

As for those down on Earth, I would say, "have fun with it." If you take it serious, and dedicate your life to proper training, application, and preservation of the Art, then you should be proud. If you are an athlete, and that is what thrills you, then go for it, but do not confuse the "sport" with the "Martial Art." Taekwondo, Judo, and other Martial Art skills can be applied to sport competition for fun and games, but that does not make the "Art" a "sport," or the "sport" a "Martial Art." Those that focus on sport have made their choice - - so be it!

Anyone who trains only for sport, or exercise, and attempts to peddle what little they know as a complete Martial Art, or the complete "Taekwondo" training curriculum, would be wrong, and there will always be people who are wrong. Let those that are right, do right, and shine because they are right . . . . . . And God saw that it was good, and the evening and the morning were the 8th day! :lol:

One of God's children discovering His vast knowledge and power!
Chief Master Eisenhart

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
First, I would feel compelled to turn to God, and apologize for claiming to be the "father" of anything other than my own children, and for claiming that God's knowledge was "my art." Since God created all of this knowledge, and every rule of nature that we observe and use in the Martial Art (ALL Martial Art variations), and put it here on Earth for us to discover, we have created nothing, but discovered it at various intervals. Some discovered it centuries ago, others are just learning about it. Some have organized it, packaged it, and marketed it in different ways, in many countries, in various languages, but it is nature's gift from God's knowledge (IMHO).

As for those down on Earth, I would say, "have fun with it." If you take it serious, and dedicate your life to proper training, application, and preservation of the Art, then you should be proud. If you are an athlete, and that is what thrills you, then go for it, but do not confuse the "sport" with the "Martial Art." Taekwondo, Judo, and other Martial Art skills can be applied to sport competition for fun and games, but that does not make the "Art" a "sport," or the "sport" a "Martial Art." Those that focus on sport have made their choice - - so be it!

Anyone who trains only for sport, or exercise, and attempts to peddle what little they know as a complete Martial Art, or the complete "Taekwondo" training curriculum, would be wrong, and there will always be people who are wrong. Let those that are right, do right, and shine because they are right . . . . . . And God saw that it was good, and the evening and the morning were the 8th day! :lol:

One of God's children discovering His vast knowledge and power!
Chief Master Eisenhart

ir it is meant as no dis-respect it is a hypothetical question, if you feel offended I apologies with humbleness.
Master Terry Lee Stoker

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have it less as a dictatorship and more like a franchise with a governing body. Black belts are answerable to the master instructor in charge, who is he answerable to? You would say his grandmaster but I didn't even know who he was until this past year. Even then he has little say over what the master does, or more likely he probably doesn't even know. TW

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
ir it is meant as no dis-respect it is a hypothetical question, if you feel offended I apologies with humbleness.
Master Terry Lee Stoker

Absolutely no problem, Master Stoker! :) I certainly did not take the hypothetical question as disrespectful at all. I hope no one is too offended by my strongly opinionated response, but that is how I feel. It's just my opinion! I appreciate you posing the question, as you will get many different points of views, which is the whole purpose here (my point of view is just one). No need for you to apologize! :D

I agree with Tiger Woman about not having an autocratic system (or dictatorship), but rather a board of Grandmasters (at least I think that was your point). Individual organizations like the ITF, ATA, or even the U.S. Chung Do Kwan that I am a member of are typically run by one founder, or president because they were started by one person with a mission or goal in mind. These "Kwans" or organizations certainly should remain loyal to their founder, and members should join because they agree with and support the founder's vision.

On the other hand, I believe that "Taekwondo," as a name submitted to represent the culmination of all Korean Martial Art, should be viewed as a shared body of knowledge from one nation's history, to the entire world of people interested in studying Taekwondo. As for looking down from heaven, and seeing what people are doing with "Taekwondo," I say "live and let live." If someone is fraudulant . . . expose the fraud! Inform the general public about the truth of what you believe Taekwondo should be, and let each person decide what direction to take. I wouldn't change a thing - - just encourage people to be honest, represent Taekwondo with integrity, and do their best!

Thanks again, Master Stoker, for presenting the creative, and thought provoking hypothetical question! :asian:

Respectfully,
Chief Master Eisenhart

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Eisenhart you and everybody are welcome, I just believe to see where people thoughts are within.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would want the competition aspect to encompass all of what TKD is. Low kicks, strikes, take downs, holds, the whole nine yards. It's a fighting art. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I would prefer that the art known as TKD was unified under a single flag, with singular governing rules, expectations and teaching/training methods. Don't like it, go do something else. Just don't call it TKD. Of course, we all know that won't ever happen in TKD or any other art. As far as the art itself, I wouldn't change a thing.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not trolling your thread Terry, but I ve often thought that same question with respect to Mr. Parker. I think a lot of founding fathers and not just withint TKD would be somewhat tee'd off at what some individuals are claiming today.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
I am not trolling your thread Terry, but I ve often thought that same question with respect to Mr. Parker. I think a lot of founding fathers and not just withint TKD would be somewhat tee'd off at what some individuals are claiming today.

evenflow why would you think I would think you are trolling, I enjoy everybody views just not TKD. All is welcome come into the light - all is welcome come into the light - all is welcome come into the light - all is welcome come into the light.

Ok enough of that.
Terry

Latest Discussions